630 Fuel Pump Leak

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rsquared, Sep 12, 2011.

1. bobnoxious67 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You guys are really waving the "Husky sucks" flag over this one problem? Really? 100% poor QC? REALLY?

Overall, this bike has been proven to be extremely trouble free, as well as high quality and high performance...factoring in the recent sales prices only magnifies this.

The "white residue" is likely there to hold the o-ring during assembly, as well as provide some lubrication for slip between the o-ring and tank during expansion and contraction.
  2. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had three recalls on my Nissan truck in the last year. Things like brake pedal mods, faulty fuel gauge, etc. So far the tank leak is the only issue on my SMS630 - I feel quite good about it.
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I agree- too soon to be universally exclaiming "Husky sucks" or 100% poor QC. However, anyone would have to admit there's been some boneheaded issues w/ these bikes...really no good excuse for poor sprocket fasteners (huge safety issue when the sprocket lets go), oil leaks, fuel leakage issues, leaking clutch masters, seeping oil return hoses, cracking coolant overflow tanks, bad clutch push rods, shifter seal weepages, etc. etc. I'm not bashing the 630- I love the bike and still think it's huge bang for the buck (at 6K, but not at anything above, say, 7.) I also agree that any brand will have it's fair share of issues inherent to a particular model...just saying the 630 has quite a few but luckily most are minor and most of us don't experience them all. I do think that as far as buying a Euro bike goes the TE is about as close as you're going to get to Asian "gas and go" reliability and maintenance...and with a Euro bike I think we all expect a certain amount of having to work out a few bugs. I've no regrets- the TE is an absolute pleasure to ride.
  4. tropicoz Husqvarna
    C Class

Sorry, the "o-ring" sits on the fuel pump so that isn't what the shmeg on the tank was. I'm not saying Husky is a shit brand (yet), but for the minimal miles mine has, I've had more down time than in the 4 years of ownership I've had with my latest Suzuki. FWIW, my G1K is a track only bike with the last 2 years of HARD track beating. It has given me ZERO issues. If you're a Husky purist, then sorry I offended you, but damn, open your eyes....this is a piss poor quality control issue. What else would you call a fuel leak that drips directly onto the header pipes (besides a fireball)?
  5. proeasy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE-630, TE-510
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1100 RT, XR-400R
    Count me in for a leaking tank, my 2011 TE-630 has about 1000 miles on it, have a call into the dealer

PRO
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The fuel pump is about the only thing on mine that hasn't leaked.
  7. Tasty Triples Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 630SM has done 1000 miles only problem so far was a very noisy decompressor fixed under warranty.Im still running the standard set up(although i do have the p/u bits to fit) but i can say it runs significantly better now its run in, much crisper pick up and no issues with idiling which was prevalent sometimes when new.
  8. bobnoxious67 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So...you're telling me the o'ring does not come in contact with the tank? What seals the pump to the tank then???

No, I'm not a Husky purist, and I'm not offended. Trust me, my eyes are wide open...not seeing it the way you do doesn't mean they're shut! I think it's absurd to slam a motorcycle manufacturer for what would appear to be the first and only wide spread "problem" on an otherwise outstanding dual sport. This isn't a $20k ADV bike here...it's a dirt bike based dual sport.It's a bummer that some are leaking.
  9. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Unhappy that it's happening......yes. That QC is poor to me..........no. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm very happy with my bike overall but I'm about to take it to Death Valley to pound the hell out of it for a few hundred miles so you tell me that a fuel leak and the potential to be stuck hundreds of miles away from much isn't something to be unhappy about...........or reassuring?! Hmmm......... Does this clarify things a little?! :mad:
  10. bobnoxious67 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, you're allowed to be upset...I would be too.

But, I think that waving the "piss poor QC" flag and slamming Husky in general is an overreaction and uncalled for. That's my opinion.

Enjoy your bike and ride.
  11. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

My tank was leaking also, more of a seep. I snugged up the pump mounting bolts and the leak went away. I haven't had any other issues, so I'm not too upset about it. My sprocket bolts/nuts are still tight, though I check them regularly. Need to look into whether or not the dealer updated the clutch pushrod, as I haven't gotten a call from them on it.

I guess my feelings are tempered by the fact that since I have a $20K Harley that leaks oil, I expect a few issues with my $6K Husky. As long as they stay in the realm of things I can easily fix, I probably won't get too worked up about it.
  12. tropicoz Husqvarna
    C Class

As with all things mechanical, I expect problems but grin when none happen. I can't smile safely knowing my Husky (which was bought for commuting and lighter terrain adv riding) might give me a problem above and beyond a blown bulb or malfunctioning blinker switch. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, especially for the price I paid. But I honestly have no confidence in its dependability. Maybe it's just a bunch of bugs that will go away after a break in period? Last thing I need is to be a hundred miles into the sticks and find my ass stranded.
  13. gregjune Husqvarna
    C Class

Had the fuel tank replaced at 1057 miles at dealer in 12/11 for leak at fuel pump. Now we are in 1/12, bike has 1287 miles and fuel leak is back worse than before. Starting to think the tank fuel pump flange is just not designed well enough. Five nut inserts in a plastic tank doesn't seem to be cutting it. The new tank looks warped without even removing the pump and checking with a straight edge. I guess Husky only has to worry about this for another year until all the warranties run out. I hope the Husky warehouse has a bunch of these laying around. Would be nice if they came out with a revised tank in a safety recall.
  14. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

how many miles have u ridden and how long have you owned it to call it trouble free. let me know when you reach at least 30k then its proven.
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I won't say Husky sucks, and I won't call this a rock-solid bike, either. I just figure some extra wrenching is all part of owning an exotic bike.
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

This gas tank leak is not a nagging issue - it is a safety issue! I was unaware that my tank was leaking around the fuel pump until I saw what I thought was steam coming from the front of the bike. Turned out to be gas dripping on the exhaust header. Bill hooked me up with a new tank - time will tell if that actually fixed the problem.
  17. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    My 2 cents is to ditch the emission plumbing and get the tanks to vent instead of pressurizing. That pressure the stock valve causes is no good.
  18. SteadyEddie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '04 450SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    '11 630SMS & '99 Dyna HD
    This thread now has me worried - I have about 700 miles on mine now - Anyone NOT have theirs leak?

What else can I "keep an eye out for"???
  19. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Had the tank off recently and just gave the screws a snugging up. No leaks.

I think I will take the check valve off the vent hose though, don't see a reason to have it on there now. Initially I thought it might prevent slosh but that doesn't make any sense now that I think of it. That way there's no pressure or vacuum build up.
  20. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I count 8 people posting on this thread so far with leaks. Thousands of these bike have been sold, wish I knew the exact number. You do the math, it is not an epidemic problem.

First time you remove the tank for service verify torque on the bolts. Do this on every bolt you can get your wrench on now and use Loctite wherever possible. That is the biggest issue with these bikes thus far, its a thumper, buzzes pretty good and shakes bolts loose. Check bolts now, loctite and check again often.

_