610 Air Filter Options

Discussion in '610/630' started by Phoenix, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Hello All. I've been scouring the internet on this forum and a few others trying to figure out what mods people are doing to their airboxes. I currently have the 610 stripped naked for some carb adjustments and thought it would be a good time to explore this topic too. I'd love some feedback from people that have already done something with their airbox...goosedog, etc. Here's a summary of what I've found...

1. Extra Holes - Keep airbox intact and use regular filter, but cut extra vent holes and cover with mesh.

2. Paper filter - Remove the whole darn box and install a paper filter. But, what filter to use? I've read of different models, but no complete responses as to whether they fit or not. Lots of "I'm about to try a Uni XX-1234," but no followups as to whether it worked or not.

3. Filter Backfire Screen - Can this be removed? Do people do this? It looks pretty fixed in there. I haven't really seen any discussion on this, but I know its a pretty common dirtbike mod.

Just for reference, this bike does not go offroad. Its a street machine with the very rare dive onto a dirt or gravel road.

I'm just hoping I can get some direct responses from some folks who have already tackled this issue, as finding the fractured and incomplete responses in a zillion other threads is tiring! haha. Thanks for everyone's help!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I hope I am not miss quoting but i seem to remember George from up-tite saying modding the airbox on the 610 does not do much of anything. He would know.
    CrankN likes this.
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

I did some mods to my airbox which IMO look kind of cool but really there was no noticeable differance in performance. I'll try and post some pics later for any one that might want to go down that road.
  4. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    My 610 has the holes in the airbox, I'll try and post a pic. The guy I bought the bike
    from (original owner) did the mod and I think he did a good job but I can't say if there's
    any performance increase or not but I can see why someone would try it. The two little
    vents on the side cover just seem like they could be a little inadequete. I'm no engineering
    expert though so......???

Attached Files:

5. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Removal of the tail piece behind the airbox reveals that air also enters the airbox through the upper rear, behind the plastic. I have my 610's airbox in stock configuration, and have pulled filters to clean. The filters were dirty ALL OVER the front (outward) part of the filter, which leads me to believe that the incoming air is flowing over the entire filter and not just the parts that can be seen through the mesh.

I too have considered drilling more holes on the face of the cover but there seems to be no hard evidence of any performance benefit.
  6. MotoSteve Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm interested in this as well. I've thought of opening up the air-box more but am hesitant to start cutting without some real evidence it will be beneficial.

My bike had the exhaust installed and jetted at Motoexotica by the previous owner. They seem to have a pretty strong reputation when it comes to Husqvarna and they didn't touch the air-box. I would think that if such a simple thing as cutting holes in the air-box would increase performance they may at least suggest this to the customer if not just do it during tunning.

I have however noticed a significant amount of popping on decel and I wonder if introducing more air would help this.:excuseme:

2006 TE610 Carb
  7. Goosedog Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey Phoenix. True, there have been other K&N models tried but I've also never seen any conclusive results with anything but the RU-3190. It's not easy to fit but definitely has complemented the LV pipe and JD jetting in most SM610's from my experience and what I've read others to be. Even though you have to mangle the thing to get the initial fit, it stays put and seems to last. This coming season will be the third year mines been in service and it's still in good shape. I like that I cut away all of the surrounding airbox for looks and access to the filter however now getting caught in the rain presents more of a problem.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like "don't worry about it" is the dominating opinion and I'm okay with that. :)
  9. Bones Husqvarna
    B Class

Always had good luck with UNI's, never had good luck with K&N in dusty situations, so they only get used on street bikes for me (or Amsoil). The intakes get real dirty with K&N's and IMO that is unacceptable.

Now I just wish the airbox cover had the openings towards the top and not down by my ankles.....lame design Husky.
  10. knary Husqvarna
    B Class

We could modify the existing one. It might not be pretty, but blocking the lower holes and punching some new ones up higher is easy enough.
  11. Bones Husqvarna
    B Class

It's on my to do list in late April.
  12. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Am looking at buying a Twin Air filter for my 2006 TE. What has stopped me from buying is it list the same filter for all of the bikes as below. It is suggesting all of these bike run the same filter. Does this sound right?

Screenshot_20180719-213954.jpg
  13. ned37 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kaw GPz1100, 97 Triumph Trophy 4
    not likely

deal with a vendor that shows a pic of what you're getting
    CrankN likes this.
  14. Baroquenride Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE-610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800
    I'm sure that's the part you need. It's not uncommon that different models would use the same air cleaner. Furthermore, different brands could even use the same air cleaner. Oil filters- the same idea.
  15. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Looking at the list again I see that most of the models shown are pretty much the same bike. Whether it be a 570, 610 or 630, at the end of the day it's pretty much the same so this could be correct. The only other model list is a 400 which i know shares the same plastics so, ultimately is probably layed out the same as the bigger bikes. Filter included.

I'm just guessing here, anyone else think this sounds right?
  16. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class