TE 610 Airbox - again?

Discussion in '610/630' started by BiG DoM, Dec 18, 2011.

1. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know that the jury seems to be out as to whether any airbox mods really help. I know the old tuning adage 'more in, more out' and a freeflow exhaust should benefit from more air. Anyway a quick queston - what are the tabs on the inside of airbox lid - are they additional stand-offs or designed to circulate air? Has anyone removed them - or some of them?
    Xcuvator likes this.
  2. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I get what you mean by tabs, then they're purpose is to keep the filter in place.
  3. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

There are four large round mushroom shape ones that I presume keep the filter in place - the others are small thin plastic tabs equally spaced in rows.
  4. zoomdude57 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 200XC-W
    Not sure about air flow, but the stock setup sure let's water in without too much problem!
  5. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah I meant those. I had to cut out some of them when opening my airbox: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/11082011217.jpg/

Looks like they're really just to keep the filter in place, cutting out some of them is ok, I wouldn't cut out all though ;)
  6. pingwin Husqvarna
    AA Class

7. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

If water getting in is an issue for you then definitely use the EHS cover. Since I don't ride in wet conditions I don't need the protection, but without the EHS cover a lot of dirt and stuff can get into the airbox. So a little more cleaning is needed without the cover.
  8. pingwin Husqvarna
    AA Class

I allways keep my airbox and air filter in ideal clean condition, but TE 610 have a low mounted airbox and i'am a little worry about it on a river crossing and other wet places. I often riding in sand and dust also.
    Producer tells so it's a dirt and waterproof solution thats why i think about this "big window". Must get one and try how it works.
  9. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok had the airbox out and close look at design etc. The tabs inside are to keep the foam filter away from the lid and allow air to circulate the length of the box. There are also four larger mushroom rubber lugs that also do this by pressing on the filter frame. Not sure how the 630 box if different (think it has a raised snorkel) but is not such a clever design for a DS bike (almost as stupid as BMW boxers with the air intake snorkel above the pots facing forward!). Unfortunately no real way of overcoming the low cutout intakes as if one covers them then there is only the small intake behind the side cover. Guess one has to have faith in oil and water not mixing easily and that the oiled filter will reject water to the airbox drain ?
  10. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Going to do the same mod my 634SMR has to my 610 SM and my 610TE

[IMG]
  11. alanB Husqvarna
    A Class

One of the threads here mentioned that after testing a Powered Up 610 on a dyno with the air cover on and then again with it removed, no improvement was noted, so I dont think you will get any sort of performance improvement from cutting holes in the cover.

However there are two issues I would like to solve:

1) Low water entry hieght - I've been thinking about somehow closing up the existing holes in the cover and inserting one of those EHS prefilter things which look like a great idea http://wwm.ehsracing.com/store/Prod...q=&desc=Universal-Kit-Single-Plate-6X8&key=it
    2) The thin tabs are starting to wear holes in my air cleaner - noticed this last time I cleaned it. At the moment its very very slight, you need to loook very hard to see the marks, so not an issue yet but the writing's on the wall they will eventually wear a hole. I used some sand paper to make the offending tabs a bit shorter and less "sharp", but ultimately you have a thin hard thing in contact with soft sponge in a vibrating environment....sounds terrible I know:censored:
  12. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Hi Alan -- dumb as it may sound --i duct tape my lower vents closed when the water seems deeper than the airbox inlet -- always have duct tape close at hand --
  13. alanB Husqvarna
    A Class

Doesnt sound dumb at all! Need to remember to keep some handy all the time.:thumbsup:
  14. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok-amongst other projects I have also had an initial go at the airbox (to compliment the caterectomy) ... I must say this is also a surprisingly poor piece of engineering. It does not close properly, the brass inserts are plain crap and the intakes are dubious in terms of position and size.:eek: I have the same feelings I had about my Alfa Romeo GTV many years ago - like having a beautiful Italian girlfriend that everyone oggles ... you love her and she 'goes' like hell but is oh so temperamental ... similar fickle engineering. Yes my TE 610 also gets the juices flowing and is likewise indeed nubile ... I am even getting used to the proliferation of 8mm bolts and endless brass washers! :rolleyes: Quaint continental ingineering that reminds me of Mechano and model train sets. Yet she is continually offering up surpises. Sorry I digress.

So I have enlarged the two existing airbox intake cut-outs in the lid to give more than twice the area - may still look at more higher up but will see first. I tried to keep the same design (am not overly keen on the round cut-outs many use). I cut and fitted new expanded mesh using Q-Bond (a powder and super glue/cynoacrylate adhesive filler - Pratleys Powa Bond etc are the same) which is just the perfect thing to hold it in place - is like an instant acrylic spot weld! I noticed that my old mesh had been glued and riveted back on a few times so am guessing this is a common problem and this works GREAT for this job. I also drilled out the filter stand offs to try and get a little more circulation...and removed the internal mesh trap...my experience with modding is that every little bit adds to an accumulated benefit. Tomorrow the DIY PU :thumbsup:

PS. I am working on an idea to get rid of those pathetic brass inserts in the airbox and use Dsuz fastners instead that will also allow quick release and servicing... essentially what they should have done first time around. Just difficult to get correct sizing when the box does not close evenly all around!?

Attached Files:

Muddy Waters likes this.
  15. rajobigguy Administrator

For you guys that are worried about the low openings in the 610 air box, you shouldn't be. Even though the largest openings are mounted pretty low the actual intake into the carb is mounted at the very top of the air box so you may some water in the air box but it would have to rise pretty high before any actually gets into the engine. Really there is no more problem with stream crossings with a 610 then there is with any other dirts bike.
  16. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmm - I would say that it is more vulnerable than a bike with a higher snorkel under the seat or top side cover (presumably this is why it was changed on the 630?) ... maybe no biggie for smallish stream crossings but anything more serious d... if you were to drop it on that side, even not a full tip over it would SUCK! And yes the intake is toward the top of the airbox but it is BIG. I think an oiled filter will reject general water spray ingress and it will drain through the drain hole in the bottom but if air can get through so can water ... :eek: I will be packing the duct (duck!) tape close at hand.
  17. Tim Rabe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Take a look at what I did, 14 x 1" holes made a huge difference in power. Left all the tabs and mushroom shaped supports in place. With the Leo Vince' slip on and the O2 sensor removed. Next will be the Power Commander V.
  18. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    Were you ever able to create the Dzus-solution?
  19. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

No - still on my 'to do list' :p
  20. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    :popcorn:
    I'm a patient guy :D