1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 Engine Breather for the DIY Guys

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dangermouse449, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Switch to waterless coolant and you won't need that.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Tinken -

*It wasn't a stab at you, but at MickyMouse. And pitty that you followed the writings of this con artist.

My breather vent on top of the valve cover operates with natural baffling which helps curve oil from exiting the engine, the addition of the oil recirculating bottle compliments this by cooling the oil out of the blow by gas and redepositing it back in the crankcase. The mod that you performed has no baffling and oil mist can flow directly out and onto the ground.

Drilling a hole in the head of your Italian race bike doesn't solve the issue. There is no solution to this problem, only a "fix" which I designed and helped the majority of 449 owners on this forum. It isn't cheap, as I insisted on making something of quality. Here is a link to the kit I designed. Again I am sorry and the best of luck to you.*

First things first.

I take GREAT exception to you calling me a 'con-artist'!!!

I am certainly nothing of the sort. All of my posts to this commercially driven sales platform you call a Forum, have been free & information that has worked on my own bike. I am not selling anything on here, I have nothing to gain from , as you put it, 'Conning' people.
    You however, maybe a little upset that some people has found some of the free fixes don't require your expensive parts & I suspect that is why continually slander me.

Second point.

The picture shows an engine covered in oil. It also shows it all down the right hand side of the motor.
    I never experienced that covering of oil even with no breather on my engine, nor did the 3 other bikes I've had dealings with.
    The oil always ends up on the LH side while parked on the stand.
    I'd suggest one of several things is going on here.

1/ The engine has an internal issue - bore damage/wear
    2/ The engine was overfilled with oil
    3/ It has been cover with oil to look bad for the purpose of the photo

I have just installed my first piston in my own engine at 6000km/239 engine hours.
    I was getting nothing more a few oil spots on the foam element even at those hrs.
    The mod function fine on my engine.

Your breather is well made & fits as described, I have never said at any point it does not.
    I would be using your breather on my engine if the company you work for weren't incapable of selling me one!!!
    That was the reason for my mod in the first place I was unable to purchase from your company.
    Big Timmy and daddyrat like this.
  3. norma stitz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nunya185
    Tinken I'm surprised you diferentiate between a fix and a solution to this problem. If your fix isn't a solution then why is it so over engineered and expensive? And why is any other solution inferior? I personally did my own solution to it in similar ways and it has worked perfectly but if I had seen how danger mouse had tapped the head for this location I would probably have done that instead. It seems like a less obtrusive modification than your permanent alteration of the cover. You seem like a knowledgable fellow and I thank you for sharing your brains on here but I gotta say the way you engage with people is off putting, so much so that I'm reluctant to purchase your products.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Don't expect to hear back from Tinken. He doesn't hang out here anymore since he started his own business oriented with the growing SxS market.

Although he did invent and bring the ZipTy breather system and quite a few other cool products to our sport and the Café, he is no longer affiliated with ZipTy.

Please don't confuse the issue with Tinken and ZipTy. Ty Davis is still running the company and still providing products and services to Husqvarna riders and racers.

Just thought I'd clarify that your beef is with the man, and not the company he no longer works for.
    Dangermouse449 and daddyrat like this.
  5. norma stitz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nunya185
    Thanks for that! I don't really have a beef, just noticed a sort-of repeating theme of him treatin people with a pretty low level of respect that's all. I mean, some people in sure deserve it, but in this case I'd say not. I still think the breather system he invented is way over engineered and looks heavy. Of course it ain't cheap as a result either. Mine was 0$ and seems to work excellently with 1.2qt oil so I'm happy, despite having to re engineer a critical engine system for BMW.
    Big Timmy, McKay and daddyrat like this.
  6. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    What is Tinken's new company name? Anybody know?

I like the guy a lot and figure I own him some allegiance. He discussed many issues within this forum that made me a better informed owner - and by the way spending $300 to have a really well engineered one-time solution to the oil blow by problem on my 511 was a deal. I thought the 450/511 super magnet oil filter cover is pretty cool and valuable (given what accumulates there) and the oil blow by return kit for my wife's 310 works really slick! I hated the stock nightmare maker.......

I'm not taking sides with anyone - people get sideways with each other all the time - he just provided me many great tools to understand my bike - just like the great info I have received from many of the other richly experienced folks on this forum.
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Thanks for that information.

I've had many conversations both public and in private with Tink, some ended well, some did not as you are probably aware.

I hope he does well in his new venture.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300

Im glad hes gone, I had the same issues years ago here with him and his legions of lemmings. Now Im back and the forum is a much more informative place.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I should be thanking him.

His answers pushed me to fix things my own way.
    Us Aussies are a funny bunch.
    If people tell us something can't be done, or there's only one way, well we take that as a challenge rather than wisdom.

If I'd listened, I'd have never removed the secondary butterfly, fiddled with my TPS settings and come up with different ways to ventilate the engine.

Sometimes, being pushed is a good thing.
    McKay likes this.
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    well, I appreciate his advice (and Mike still checks in here occasionally, btw)

Dangermouse took the high ground- whats wrong with you?

So, as one of the "legions of lemmings" you managed to insult, I guess I should welcome you back with a: fvck you. Nothing like stepping on toes and farting in church to make your comeback, I guess. Somehow you always stir shit up.
    Tinken likes this.
  11. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300

thanks, glad to be back.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Sometimes, making the wrong choices (as some might think !). End up bringing us to the right places ! Its as simple as that.

I happen to be a metal fabricator by trade and have a shop full of equipment including a large milling machine and a 14" lathe. I myself had to come up with my own version of a breather system and tank. As I have a "BMW G450X". The "ZipTy" tank flat out won't fit the G450X frame. So a one off tank and system had to be fabricated. Period.. Although my G450 does have a TC449 engine in it at this time. I still have 2 engines. A wide ratio 5 spd (BMW) and a close ratio 5 spd (TC449).

Either works just as well as long as final gearing is set up properly for what I do.

I have had many disagreements on this forum with "Tinken" in the past. No big deal. That's how a particular situation sometimes gets worked out. It gets everything out on the table. Its called a "Forum" for a reason !

However, I have respected and tapped into his knowledge many times over the telephone. As well, I have referred many people his way also. We would both laugh all the time about our disagreements online from the "Café Husky forum", while speaking to each other on the phone. These telephone calls were always very cordial, open minded and light hearted.. As if we never had any animosity towards each others point of view whatsoever.

I wish him well in his new "S X S" venture. I talked a bit with him on the phone about this when I ordered the hugest size "Earth-X" battery from "ZipTy" for by "Harley Roadglide Bagger". He said he was going to soon put 1 in his S x S "Rhino" and spoke of his other shop he was spending a bit more of his time at.

He has made some trick pieces for the " 450 Kymco Engine". I run a few of these "ZipTy" pieces myself. I have a great respect for this knowledge he has.

However, MY BMW G450X JUST SITS NOWADAYS. I do let an occasional riding buddy ride it and take it out for a few hours. That's not a problem to me because its rock solid and very reliable.

I believe about 10% of any argument, is just a difference of opinion. That being said.. The other 90% of what makes it an argument, is the tone of voice ! That 90% can easily be face to face or translate out in print just as easy, if not easier. It can be directed at some individuals by simple selection of words within that post. This type of sharp written response can easily get misunderstood, when reading it in a "Forum". Since talking face to face and that lack of facial expression during those conversations are basically non-existent. We sometimes take things wrong. Especially when that response is short and sweet and is full of condescending remarks and talking down to others. This leads people to be put off. They are insulted and feel they are being rubbed the wrong way. They then stop sharing their own knowledge and useful information. It has happened here many times.

Just look at the posts above !

I've personally seen this, right here. There is no denying that.. I got a few PMs from Coffee about it myself a few years back. It's not like I didn't know at that time when I got these PM's myself. At the same time a few other members who got them as well, who come from other places on this large planet, that we were all being told to back off because we had a difference of opinion with a major sponsor of this Forum. That's a fact !

By the way. I do understand the rules of engagement on an "Open Motorcycle Forum". I myself am 1 of only 2 "Moderator's" of the Globally wide membership of the "BMW G450X Riders Forum and Registry" along with the "G450X Accessory Nation" section. Its "G450X specific Classified section" and its Sister Forum, "Husky Talk" which had fallen nearly dead during the era of "Husky" being under the ownership banner of "BMW". I happen to be the only "Moderator" of these G450X Forum sections that owns one of these bikes.

Trying to resurrect the "Husky Talk" section of these Forums, after the KTM takeover has been very difficult. I myself now primarily ride a "15' FE501 Husky". So I can relate and help in that "Austrian era" Dept. Most of what's been on "Husky Talk" though, with its little activity. Is older Italian era "Husky" questions.

Guess what? I refer them over to here. Café Husky.

The size of this Forum and having all 3 Husky era sections. Owners of all these "Swedish era" vintage, "Italian era" and newer "Austrian era" bikes and the combined knowledge base of all the members here is unbelievable.
    Trenchcoat85 and Huskynoobee like this.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Not sure I understand this comment...
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    from Wikipedia:
    The moral high ground, in ethical or political parlance, refers to the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_high_ground
  15. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Really were still on this. Buy it or don't they all spit oil in the air box both mine did ran 1000-1100 ish ml oil Mobil 1 0w-40 and solved the problem on both 449 and 511. Flame outs different problem
  16. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Flameouts are simple to cure.
    Remove the secondary butterfly, increase the primary TPS voltage to around 0.75V and ride happy.
    Cost $0
    Big Timmy likes this.
  17. Lachdawg Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 te 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gs500
    you need a slap for being rude sir
    Big Timmy likes this.