1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 Engine Breather for the DIY Guys

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dangermouse449, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Please show us some pics of your setup.
  2. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I'm actually dealing with this again on my 511. I sold my zipty tank (trying to sell the 511). I still have the zipty breather going to a T connector one end goes to the air box. The other to a modded oil filler plug. I am getting more oil in the air box then ever. I generally run 1100 ml. I think I'm going to run to a small air filter like the red one in my picture above. It is my theory that the air box sucks the oil-laced air in. We'll see how it goes. But, I'm open to suggestions. I had one guy come look at the bike and decide not to buy it since there was oil on the front of the cylinder and the starter.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Should've left the tank on Cosmo. Better wash it for the next guy.
    Tinken and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    so what's it look like coming straight out of the head like DM's vid? (ie, no hose).

couple of quick points: 449/511's are weird about their oil levels (and IIRC, 1100cc is with a filter change. 1L or even less with a oil change only). On my son's 511, the oil level was supposed to be at mid-window on the sight glass max, and at the bottom of the window min [at least that's the way I remember it- 'cause it's the opposite of my 311: max is top and min is mid-window]. I think. confirm all of this. but they definitely are not happy with too much oil. (And it goes without saying that too little is worse).

You do have the stock vent port plugged- correct? There is no hose on it- right? yes?

Again: so what's it look like coming straight out of the head like DM's vid? (ie, no hose).
  5. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Can't even get my fingers in there to clean. These bikes are packed in like sardines.
    Tinken likes this.
  6. randal jung Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k75s
    Here are some pics. 11370.jpeg 11334.jpeg 11338 (1).jpeg
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'd say that the 449 is pretty worn, or may have a damaged bore (dirt past the air filter)...

Even at +230 engine hrs, I don't get more than a couple of oil drops on the filter foam.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    so.... What's it look like with the hose OFF???? let's make sure we got a problem emanating from the motor first; 'specially before we talk about rebuilding it or broken rings etc.

Your buddy's hose run looks slightly pinched (a minor no-no) and maybe a down hill dip or two (a major no-no).

the motor looks kinda clean to be having wear problems. Of course, the air filter box on these things is easy to screw up- but I still think you got an overly-full oil problem coupled with a vent hose with bad routing. hopefully- for your buddy's sake.

where is the oil level in the sight glass (window)?

and also...
    What's it look like with the hose OFF????
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Could be your mod sucks... There's a reason why I designed my oil recirculation system the way that I did.

10. randal jung Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k75s
    Care to elaborate? Useful/helpful comments are always welcome even if the truth hurts. But derogatory comments that that offer no help are a waste of bandwidth and every ones time. I am sure your system works well. We are just trying to fix this problem. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and we are trying to use that knowledge to fix this perplexing problem. This particular "fix" seemed like an easy and affordable solution with no risk in attempting it. If we can't make this work we will simply plug the hole and move on.
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Could it be improper placement of the elbow perhaps? I think you might also try a longer return line. Somehow there's much more pressure than there should be forcing that much oil out from the airbox.
  12. randal jung Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k75s
    The elbow can only go in that location because it is simply replacing a plug that was already in the head. As far as a longer hose I think that would just make more bends in the hose.
  13. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Maybe trim some threads from the elbow so it's not as close to the gears? Also try venting to a stand-alone air filter like this:
    air filter.jpg

It is my new theory that the airbox sucks in from the hose due to the air intake on the EFI.
  14. randal jung Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k75s
    The threads do not go past the inner housing wall. A filter similar to this is what we are thinking also.
    Alyupe11 likes this.
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some bikes do benefit from a breather tee'd off the hose. It's kind of weird how it seems no 2 bikes take these mods the same. This question has already been asked, but didn't see...how much oil are you running?
  16. randal jung Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k75s
    1100ml of fluid on fresh change is what was in the photos above.
  17. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    The 511s seem to be more prone to both the oil blow by and the EFI flame out issues.
    Normann likes this.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It wasn't a stab at you, but at MickyMouse. And pitty that you followed the writings of this con artist.

My breather vent on top of the valve cover operates with natural baffling which helps curve oil from exiting the engine, the addition of the oil recirculating bottle compliments this by cooling the oil out of the blow by gas and redepositing it back in the crankcase. The mod that you performed has no baffling and oil mist can flow directly out and onto the ground.

Drilling a hole in the head of your Italian race bike doesn't solve the issue. There is no solution to this problem, only a "fix" which I designed and helped the majority of 449 owners on this forum. It isn't cheap, as I insisted on making something of quality. Here is a link to the kit I designed. Again I am sorry and the best of luck to you.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/husqvarna-full-oil-recirculation-kit/
    Londin likes this.
  19. Chipster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te477 (Brazil 511 model)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 kx125.1981 maico 490,2012 te511
    I bought a 2012 te 511,from the second owner last week.He had done 100 miles on it in a year and didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about the bike.
    I think possibly the first owner had a play with or ordered it with a few upgrades,like aluminium filler cap,oil filter cover and oil filler cap etc,but there is one curious mod,I don't know if this was meant to be a oil recirculation kit or what,but it's connected to the radiator overflow.
    Has anybody any ideas,should I just remove it,or is serving a purpose?

Many thanks
    Mark image.jpeg
  20. motsitruc Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    nope