2019 tm300en has Husky/Ktm met its match!

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by fletchman45, Feb 28, 2019.

1. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Well congrats! Sounds like a great dealer, wish they all felt that way about taking on new brands lol
    fletchman45 likes this.
  2. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So the husky costs more.. TX 300..has no skid plate no vforce reeds not as good a carb.. And... Still haven't made up my mind.. Lol.. 51% tm 49% husky..
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    You just listed some of the reasons I went with the TM, also when I learned that the TM shares many parts with other manufacturers like Honda clutches and the Brembo brakes use KTM levers and the pegs look the same as Italian Husky except I like the stock TM pegs as much as the Fastway pegs I have on the shelf so I left the stockers on. I got my TM as a leftover because it was ordered as the TM dealers son's personal bike that he never rode so I got it for $8300 with the oversized tank. If it was the same price as the white KTM I think I'd still buy the TM. There is a downside to TM that I haven't had to deal with so far and that is the exhaust pipes are double what a FMF costs. I usually don't run pipe guards and instead I buy a couple of pipes and have them fixed for $65 if I smash them. The TM pipe is as high as a scalvinni and you can't get a pipe guard for the HGS pipe but you can for the Scalvinni. I put a short section of a aluminum guard along the bottom and I'm taking my chances on the rest. I'd like to see you get a TM just so I can see how a fast guy gets along with it.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  4. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On tm community Facebook just read about a failure at 15 hours pertaining to starter and Kickstart etc.. Fluke? Growing pains or? Found a 19tm250en but hate to say it found a smoking deal on a new 18 ktm 250 xc and i may go that route..
  5. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Went shopping.. Viewed Husqvarna, beta, and gas gas, tm and ktm.. A few things.. The gas gas was eliminated quickly.. True weight with fuel ready to ride.. 2019 Husqvarna TX 300.. 236..gas gas xc 300 2018..258! Very nice bike thou just not for me.. Beta.. Clutch pull still not up to par with others.. Improved but noticeably heavier.. Weight fair but no Kickstart backup and Sachs suspension.. Out.. Husqvarna.... All cross country(wait a minute they only have one two stroke the TX 300) have magura brakes.. I get it they are a brembos copy.. Guys who have them like them.. I guess.. My thoughts.. From experience. Front not near as powerful as a brembos.. And require three fingers instead of one and a light stab.. 300s dont work for me.. The bottom end power can actually tire u out and they don't Rev as freely as a tried and true 250..so that eliminated the husky and u. I'm sad to say but the way my knees are I now need electric start... So I couldn't buy a tc and convert it as I've done in the past.. Yes that left me with two choices.. The Italian stallion tm or the tried and true improved state of the art charge you the most give u the least ktm... (of which I've left many many imprints on a downed orange bike... Some perhaps by accident some perhaps...) the tm is drool worthy.. And to me at least stands out and simply looks the best! The 19 ktm 250 xc has a host of improvements comes with everything I need minus the stuff I don't need.. And the aer air fork that I enjoy along with brembos slave and brakes.. But honestly is boring looking.. I rode the tm 250en for ten minutes.. So not much of a review.. The clutch was slightly dragging until the engine warmed up.. (could be cause it's new) estart seems solid and powerful.. The front brakes had to have air in them because they are full brembos and 270 rotor and didn't feel as good as a magura even.. Engine had no vibration just like a Ktm husky.. Power felt smooth and linear but honestly not really any better then a good running 17 up Ktm husky.. Clutch pull same as a husky ktm.. Suspension is for what I did was actually compliant and not bad.. Ergos felt good and really easy to get comfortable on.. Disadvantage in my eyes.. Would be parts.. You can get them pretty easy with Ralph being the importer.. But better carry whatever spares u may need because it's not like your buddies have one.. Customer service.. Probably OK but ktm husky has covered stuff before I thought they would not.. Book value.. What book you can't fimd tm listed.. Resale.. Tough.. So in the end.. And believe me I spent all day shopping.. I thought I'd do the tm.. But bought a 19 250 xc.. Had a ten minute ride on it and it felt pretty good and I think ktm must have the mikuni a figured out.. The tm had a side stand which is awesome.. But self retracting like a gas gas and the thing that irratated me was it did not have a strap to hold it up in the event of a spring failure.. The tms mostly come with out decals installed.. Weird.. The dealer has to I stall them and some guys are good at putting decals on some are not.. IMG_20190323_123518.jpg IMG_20190323_123518.jpg IMG_20190323_164612.jpg I guess never say never.. I never thought I'd buy a Ktm but for now this seemed like the best bike to fit my needs.

Attached Files:

6. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    White plastics and a husky sticker away from not feeling as bad lol. Congrats on the new bike!
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    So 250 XC was the best mix? Aer forks, magic button, linkage, carb. Sounds like what should be a TX 250 right?
    robertaccio and fletchman45 like this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Nice bike, I'm looking forward to the ride reports.

On another note, to be fair a TM should be compared to a factory edition of the other brands. That would be a comparable bike when you list all the components individually and the price falls in line as well.
  9. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think for me you hit the nail on the head.. My dealer was willing to build me a TX 250..and had my 150 not sold I could of kyped the brembos I had put on there.. With the little amount added for electric start (weight) and brembo slave and brakes.. Just seemed right.. The hilarious thing and true story.. My beer fridge still has a large decal on it that says.. I love orange but I hate ktm motorcycles.. Wow.. I really wanted to want the tm.. A couple little things irratated me.. I love a sidestand however if it is a race bike.. Put a holder on it like ktm husky that in the event the spring fails it doesn't fall down.. And seriously tm.. You are awesome.. But new age is lock on grips.. Wayyy better then glue.. Saftey wire.. Also in my personal opinion for woods riding a steel frame is much better and more forgiving then aluminum.. The dragging clutch and spongy front brake on the tm didn't help any.. The engine felt good.. But let's be real.. The husky ktm engine is also strong... Now I only rode each bike for 10 minutes.. They both felt good and easy to adjust to.. The tm front brakes and that clutch and glue on grips and lack of sidestand holder and the. Ktm ended up being 600$ cheaper which I spent on new riding gear.. The fact ktm took the brembos from the TX and te models irratates the crap out of me.. And the guys that tell me the maguras are fine I tell them u just say that because you don't have brembos.. On the flip side the Ktm xc does not get excel rims.. It get flat black giant rims... So really they got u coming or going..
    robertaccio likes this.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I really thought you were going to go TM. It's too bad the bike you test rode had spongy brakes and clutch, mine has no symptoms of either problem so it must have been in need of bleeding the air out. The TM kick stand is annoying for sure, I never put any oil on mine so it stays put kinda like the friction door hinges lol, I guess I could buy a rubber band like GASGAS uses. The aluminum frame is not an issue, somehow they have it figured out and make it work as good as any steel frame I've ridden.

Your assessment of the GASGAS was spot on, I've been helping a friend with his GASGAS 300 and there is a bunch of components that are heavier and not the quality of the TM. His starting system has been terrible. He likes my TM better but he got his GASGAS $1,000 cheaper so he's happy.

My son really likes KTMs and white Huskys, I'm looking forward to your ride/race reports.
  11. rimbender Husqvarna
    AA Class

Had some quality time on a en144 last season, though it was great. Felt they had the power valve control figured out ramped the power up evenly for a small bore. Susp was fine for me in the woods, didn't really notice it which is probably a good thing. I didn't really notice the frame because I have other alum framed bike's. But ultimately, after a few susp revalves, that was what made the owner of it give up and sell the bike, blaming it on the frame.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Fletch..it will never end until it does!! Good purchase. Funny you spoke about the 250 vs 300 power, my mind has been thinking/considering that my next one may be a 250 2T.
    IMHO with that new non-orange chassis, go for the all white look with your own theme matching custom race graphics.
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Great thread. I just bought a 19 KTM 250XC. Best out of the crate bike I've ever had.
  14. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Mate, l did the same thing Deal went south on a 2018 TE300i and a dealer friend offered a great deal on an orange 300 tpi....all those years of cursing and thumbing my nose at KTM lemmings...well l did eat humble pie:rolleyes:
    I know the 2019 TM300 came out with a tpi version...did this ever get released in USA or is it by order only?
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The 2020 FI TM en300 are reported to be in the USA now, I read a post on another forum with pics from the buyer.
  16. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 wr200, 88tzr250, & Beta evo300, B
    Well I was all set to get the Husky TPI300, then I looked at the RR200(no fuel injection) but ive just heard the new TM EN 144 will be injected this year & at around $15k NZ- so ive decided thats what i will be getting, it will be my last new enduro bike as im getting a bit old now & will never out ride it, a friend has a 2019 TM en300 which ive ridden a couple of times and its a really cool ride just way too quick for me, it reminds me alot of a modern version of my Italian Husky
    lankydoug likes this.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I had a hard time deciding between the en300 and the en144. I ended up getting the en300 because my local dealer gave me such a good deal on his personal/demo bike. I think I'd be just as happy with the 144 if I would have chosen it and it would probably be easier on me to ride because of the light weight and less snap to tire me out. I've noticed a lot of older riders go back to smaller 2 strokes like the KTM150.
    freejack likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good choice. I found the aluminum frame (and all aluminum frames except the YZ250) to be to ridged and unforgiving on the TM. Makes getting the suspension to work great very hard IMHO.
  19. freejack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WB165, 95 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 wr200, 88tzr250, & Beta evo300, B

Being more of a trials, slower rider I tend to have the suspension set up quiet soft so it probably wont make alot of difference,
    Kam1 likes this.
  20. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If I had got on my TM not knowing it had an aluminum frame I would have thought it was steel. My YZ125 had a tendency to deflect and I'd notice the frame being a little ridged. On the TM I don't notice any problems that the ridged frame could have caused. My riding buddy used to have a 2000 Honda CR250 2 stroke and that bike was horrible, he had the suspension re-valved and it was still horrible, he was against any perimeter aluminum frame until he rode my 2017 TM... he just bought a carbureted 2019 TM en300. Supposedly TM made the frame lighter and more flexible in 2018. When we swap bikes I really notice the smoothness of the counterbalanced engine but no difference in the frame.
    Motosportz and freejack like this.