1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE449 Running well with factory EFI system - finally

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dangermouse449, Mar 28, 2014.

1. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I really hate to ask such a question without reading the entire thread but here goes. I'm running the stock pipe with RM2 and haven't really been experiencing major flame out issues. I don't have a power commander or anyway (or know how) to be adjusting maps. If I understand correctly all I need to do is remove the airbox, remove the butterfly, and adjust the idle screw. I did read the disclaimers but is there anything else I need to be aware of? I've read it only takes 30-45 mins which I have, but I'm also leaving for a trip tomorrow so I don't want to create any issues that I wouldn't have time to sort out.
  2. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    It doesn't take long. I found it easier to loosen all the airbox mounting bolts in order to make it easier to get the boot off. I would also recommend putting a strong magnet in there while removing the screws so they don't drop into the unit. The most nail-biting thing for me was when I put the boot back on. It's dark and confined in there and I had trouble seeing if the boot and hose clamp were both on straight.

EDIT: At some point you are going to want to remove the Cat from your pipe too.
    Dangermouse449 and turtlemoye like this.
  3. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Yeah, I'm not an idiot but I'm not really a mechanically inclined person either which leads to a lack of a workshop and decent tools. Therefore I tend to put things off that I should be able to reasonably handle but I wait until the night before a ride to do such things which I know is a really bad idea. Do you think I'd have any problem with the mod with that restricted pipe? That's one of the reasons I haven't gone to RM3.
  4. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    First off, I did not intend to imply you are an idiot. I apologize if you took it that way. I just stated that in case you didn't already know about it. I'd be willing to bet that the bike would run better with RM3, even with the cat in. I really don't think that the butterfly mod will be effected by the cat one way or the other.
  5. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Not what I meant at all and I apologize to you for giving you that impression. I was really just pointing out that I have a bad habit about maintenance and upgrades. Thanks for your help.
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Race map 3 should help with the running, on any pipe.
    If time is tight & you take a little more time than other guys, I'd maybe leave it running as is with the second butterfly for the time being & do it when you come back from your trip.
    It isn't too bad to do, but can be a little fiddly as Cosmo has mentioned.
    The last thing you want to do is rush it & end up with something like not re-connecting the air-boot correctly & have dust in the engine.

Do it when you have a little time up your sleeve :)
    Campbell likes this.
  7. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA

Well, nobody ever said I was smart so I went ahead and did it anyway. To make it more difficult I even did it in the dark. Well, I did have the motion sensor light on and a flashlight in my mouth and finished just after midnight (no it didn't take 6 hours). Went on a really quick ride around the block and Holy Hell Batman, what a difference. I haven't adjusted the idle screw yet but I'll play with it in the morning and do some more test riding but it's so much easier to lift the front wheel now. Hell, I might even learn to ride a wheelie one day.
  8. Campbell Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWG450X
    "Went on a really quick ride around the block and Holy Hell Batman, what a difference. ....Hell, I might even learn to ride a wheelie one day."

I suspect there might have been a Grin involved here.:cheers:
  9. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N94M3Ca3y8

Stock Akra, original map 2, Butterfly in. Auto idler out, Checked TPS voltage = at or very,very near 7.
    I want a tractor, not a rocket ship. Works like this all day, everyday.

Yes I bottomed out completely underestimating the depth and sharpness of a little hole at the bottom of a hill. Camera gets shut off by a low hanging branch at the end.
    James Patton and Dangermouse449 like this.
  10. Siberian449 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    quads
    First i have a 2013 Te449 all stock. I was running map one till the other day when I read this article: I realized i didnt get the jumper when I bought the bike. I now have the jumper installed and what a differance. I used to compare the bike to a 250wr and now I must say it rides like a 450 should. It also says race map 2 now yea.... I also decided to take out the butterfly and I'm not sure I notice any change but only ran it around the block a few times with race map 2. I had the hardest time getting one of those screws out it stripped out very easily. While I was using mode 1 I only had one or 2 times where the bike shut off or (flame out) I will be going on a 3 day ride and I will report back the good and the bad. I also switched to a Lithium battery. It starts better and now the trip meter keeps its memory till you reset it. I got the shorai lfx14l2-bs12 210cc. Has to be a 3 pound differance. Cost was around 155 us. Thanks so much for all the info next change is coolant. Oh I did change out the Gas cap with the aluminum one and now it seals perfectly. No leaks easy to put on and take off worth every penny. Be safe my Husky friends
    9880sts and underwatersimon like this.
  11. Siberian449 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    quads
    Back from my first real ride and now I think I blown a head gasket> Oil in the radiator. When hot hard to start and wont idol. I thought the bike was flaming out but i actually think it was overheating and trying to shut off. I dont think it should have over heated was in the mid 70s. Any info on a replacement head gasket kit? Oh no water in the crank area. The bike is 2013 TE 449 and now has 411 miles on it. Dealer is saying around 600 dollars to replace head gasket.
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I dont think headgasket would be bad at 400 miles man. If anything I would get a test kit that checks combustion gasses in the radiator.
    Maybe the oil in the radiator is the water pump seal?
    underwatersimon likes this.
  13. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    If determined that you do need the gaskets. Cometic gasket kits available on ebay if needed. Not that hard to do. For the $450 to $500 in labor, you would save doing this yourself. You can buy a lot of Husky parts or tools for the 449. Many ways to actually determine if you even need to do this. Get at least a good service CD or workshop manual to do it yourself. Its not that difficult.
  14. Olive xm Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Just a bit of FYI for the Melbourne 449-511 owners wanting the Akro map set installed. Moto GC in Thomastown cannot do it, so I took it to First Class Motorcycles in Lilydale.
    Moto GC have upgraded to the new software and dose not recognize my bike where First class still have to old system. $49.50 to get done.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    In Qld, Toowoomba Bikes and Bits still have their HST also.
  16. CaptainLicorice Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none... yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 300RR
    I've removed the Fbw plate but I've been getting a "fail" reading on the odometer, anyone else have this problem?
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You make sure you plugged the connector back in? The ECU needs to see it, even though the butterfly is out.
  18. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Exciting update for 449-511 models.

Instead of needing a dealer or shop to 'see' ecu data &
    upload new maps, you can now use the excellent
    TuneEcu Android app and some adapter plugs!!
    No more looking for old Red Husky dealers with a HST or
    shipping your ecu away risking it going missing in the post, no more messy plug-in tuner boxes either.
    The app allows user tuning of the fuel and ignition timing tables just like a PCV plug in.

Here's a link to the page where CH member Meou has the links to the app and the various files from the HST that we shared with him.
    http://www.tuneecu.com/

Here's a brief video I did about the app also.

View: https://youtu.be/m3ujTMypQTQ
    Cosmokenney and Big Timmy like this.
  19. franky bonez Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hon CR 250 - Yam RD350 - HD Softail
    Dangermouse - I just came across your HST video. I just applied to join your 449 - 511 owners facebook group. I've got a lot of research to do on this topic so, I admit that right off the bat... At the risk of asking a dumb question, this is totally different than the tuneecu right?

Frank in NJ USA
  20. franky bonez Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hon CR 250 - Yam RD350 - HD Softail
    Is the HST program available to us?