2011 SMS 630 Charging Problem(s)

Discussion in '610/630' started by Sooter, Apr 5, 2016.

1. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I don't understand what your doing???

With everything connected start your bike, set meter to volts dc, insert red lead into red vr wire coming out of the vr , ground black lead to ground. You should see around 14 volts depending on the condition of your battery.
    Then touch red lead onto battery positive post, you should see the same amount of volts if not you have a wiring problem between vr and battery.
    If volts are low at red wire coming out of vr the vr is bad. You already said the yellow wires from the stator are putting out 24 volts to the vr, so the stator is OK.
    If you need to bypass bad wiring you should do as DynoBob says run a ground wire and a positive wire if needed.
  2. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    Update: all damaged charging system wires are now brand new and fitted with a better replacement...professionally done. With respect to wiring, everything is in optimal condition. I will sand, clean and possibly add a flat piece of steel to flatten the surface contact between VR and frame. I can do the above tests but I suspect by now that all my VRS are fried due to heat. I will reply back with any further updates. Thanks all for help thus far.
  3. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    bump. Check your wiring under the battery folks. I noticed some eratic running problems, and a lower than expected voltage when I ran some diagnostic logs. Recalled another post showing some frayed wires under the battery and decided to check mine. Outer sheath was worn through, and pealed it back to expose this:
    [IMG]
    Amazed the bike had not blown a fuse and was still charging enough to maintain the battery. Haven't patched this up yet to determine if it's the cause of my "misfire" but I highly suspect it is.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  4. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    This is most likely related to your ill running/misfire issue. All of the bikes systems require a steady flow of current to function properly. Clearly, with this issue, there is current interruption. Fix it properly and you will be good to go!
  5. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    When my voltage was low the bike would misfire. Cam.