1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2008 Fuel Pump - How to check power at connector?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by benwiggin2, Jan 2, 2017.

1. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Allright boys and girls Happy New Year. It's been quite a while since I've visited here. That usually means there have been no problems, right? Over the weekend I was stranded for the second time in over 6 years on my beloved 08 TE 510. Thankfully it was the last ride on the last day of a 5 day So Cal desert trip, and I was on a dirt road instead of open desert like we had been most of the time. Anyway I'm asking if anyone can tell me (or dig up an old thread) on how to confirm there is power making it to the fuel pump. I have spark. But when key and ignition are enabled I no longer hear the fuel pump. Replaced all fuses. Bike turns over and has spark. Tank is off but the fuel pump still in tank. Is there any way to use a meter and confirm power to fuel pump? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Obligatory bike pic....
    [IMG]
    268fords and OlderHuskyRider like this.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    sure... pierce the wire (gently) with a safety pin or needle- making sure it can't touch anything else. test the voltage from ground to the pin. Nothing? try the other wire (it's the red one, IIRC).

good luck.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  3. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    So there are 4 wires on the connector though. Is only one of them for power?

[IMG]
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Yes, only 1 is for power.

Get a wire and touch it to the battery positive post, and plug the other end into the power for the pump, it should spin continuously. If it doesnt, its frozen
    268fords and benwiggin2 like this.
  5. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    You'll need another wire for grounding as well
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  6. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Thanks guys. Trying to avoid guessing on which wires are ground and which is power. Can anyone identify the 4 wires on the attached schematic? 35 is the fuel pump. I'm hoping to confirm there is power reaching the pump. Should I just use process of elimination?

Attached Files:

7. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Good to see your both still around Benwiggin and olderhuskyrider. I can't get the wiring schematic to upload or the pic of the wires. If the pump checks out, check the handlebar switch too. Hopefully this will be an easy fix for you. Happy new year.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Green with red stripe is power, Blues are grounds
    Trenchcoat85 and benwiggin2 like this.
  9. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Trench, OHR, 268- thanks for chiming in. Will hopefully update after work today....stand by.
    Do we have a dedicated plug and play fuel pump relay?
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    green/red: +12 for fuel pump
    blue: ground for fuel pump
    white/yellow: +V for fuel level thermistor (voltage may be lower then +12; like +7v on a empty tank)
    blue: ground for thermistor

It doesn't look like you have a "dedicated" relay, but #38 is a relay that powers only the fuel pump, coil #23, injector #6, ...and #31 which is... I dunno.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  11. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Ok, so...per above post(s) my meter reads 13.25 vdc when positive lead of meter is inserted to "green/red: +12 for fuel pump" and the negative lead is grounded to frame. Could not reproduce the readings when negative lead was inserted to the blue ground though- which seems odd to me...
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    either blue wire? ...yeah, that's seems weird. lemme take a look at the diagram and I'll be back in 5 mins

....nope, you should be grounded. with the power OFF (and the fuel pump still plugged in.... right?) whats the resistance from frame ground to either/both of the blue wires (I'm looking for a number like 0 or 0.7ohms on your DIGITAL meter, almost any scale)

also: you may have found your problem.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Bad ground?

Bike is a 2008. might be a good time to remove the pump to insect and change filter.

Just pull tank empty it in a gas can. Pull out 6 screws and remove.

These pumps and filters are a weak link in an otherwise reliable bike.
  14. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    So this issue turns out to be broken spade connector on the fuel pump. Also broken off was the thermister from its mount and its orange wire too. I'm unplugging the thermister assembly, don't need low fuel light, have a raw IMS tank to see fuel levels. Just need to research the best option for replacement fuel pump....I'm leaning towards this:
    http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23901...usqvarna-te-510-tc-510-txc-510-2008-2010.html

Honestly though...the stock wiring on this bike is in bad shape. All the years, miles, vibrations stack up in the back of my head when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. This bike has taken me lots of places but there's only so much you can carry or fix in the field...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    OlderHuskyRider and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wow, good detective work Ben. do you think that the broken thermistor was knocking around and broke the spade off (I'm assuming here that it's the male spade, embedded in the pump, that broke)?

Also, I've never heard of that thermistor bracket breaking- I wonder if they're related; like something else was bouncing around in there. [edit: oops, looks like I was wrong; this thread from 8 years ago shows a broken bracket. Also, I noticed that on my fuel pump of the same style the bracket has a hairline crack in the same place.]

good for you for coming back with your findings- it'll help in the future.

That pump looks perfect (although I'd go with a $15-19 ebay personally... I'm cheap). when you go to install it, look around the internet for pictures to show the strategically placed zip-ties to support the wiring & hoses against vibration. I may have a few (dozen) pics too. <grin>

Off the top of my head, I would say OHR is the world's leading expert in husky wiring abrasion, fuel pump issues and general big-block weirdness.... maybe he'll chime in with some theories of what happened.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  16. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Olderhuskyriders thread on his 20,000 mile 450 is probably the best thread on this site. Great documentation throughout. I still have 17,500 miles to go to catch up with his beast. Speaking of, olderhuskyrider, does your buddy you sold it to still ride it? It would be great to hear the rest of the story of your old stallion. :thumbsup:
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  17. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG

He rode it awhile and then it got stolen, he hasnt been able to recover it. I think about that bike every time I go riding.....

[IMG]
    268fords and benwiggin2 like this.
  18. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Man that sucks. Terrible ending to a great story.