1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2008 TE-510 Low Fuel Light not working

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by bpayne13, Jan 3, 2009.

1. bpayne13 Husqvarna
    B Class

I have about 800 miles on my 2008 TE-510. The low fuel light has been working flawlessly until today when I ran out of gas. Luckily, I only had to push the bike about 1/2 mile to the gas station where I put in 1.95 gallons. Does anyonne have a fix for the low fuel light problem? I have a new IMS 3 gallon tank, but it is not installed. I'd like to fix the low fuel light problem when I install the new IMS tank. Pictures or detailed instuctions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. TRAILDUDE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine only comes on for a few minutes.....if i am not looking for it, i will miss it. once it goes out it never comes back on....strange!!! I don't rely on it, just calculate my mileage in my head....I have the new IMS tank and I plan my range on 80 miles between stops!
  3. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Here are a couple pics from TT that show the guts pretty well..

The fuel level sender unit is circled in RED. The actual fuel pump assembly is circled in BLUE. Make sure the zip-ty is holding the pump securely seated and check the wires on the fuel level sender.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Be careful when installing the pump into the IMS, it's easy for a couple of these wires and/or the lower mesh looking inlet filter bag to get stuck between the mounting flange and the new tank if you're not watching closely.
    HTH
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    And be careful not to break the plastic elbows.....
  5. bendbiker Husqvarna
    B Class

You guys are a blessing. I bought my TE450 08 used with 20 hrs on her and I've never seen the light come on. In fact, I just ran out of gas and never saw a light. So, all this spurred me to mount the 3gal IMS tank and while R&R the fuel unit, and the fuel pump slide foward, so pushed it back and added another zip tye. Checked all the wires and even measured 12.5vdc at the fuel sensor connector. The fuel sensor reads 2 ohms and varies slightly (1.9 to 2.1 ohms in and out of gas. Is it possible the fuel light is burned out? Anyone take similar measurements at their fuel sensor?
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I'll just comment that if you got 1.95 gal. out of the tank you did a lot better than average, which would be around 1.75 gal. I've got the see-through IMS tank. I've run it out and put a mark where it ran out. That and knowing the general range in miles will probably be more reliable than the warning light. IIRC I only went 5 miles or so after the light. I was carrying 2 liter bottles of fuel for the occasion.

IMS seemed to run out at 2.75. You might be able to slosh a little more gas around and get more.
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    This is not for the Fuel Light Problem. But might help when you put the new tank on...it's an old thread.:thumbsup:

New look with the IMS Tank 2
  8. bendbiker Husqvarna
    B Class

Anyone opened the instrument speedo unit to see if the bulbs can be checked/replaced. Perhaps the low fuel light got the swine virus and died.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you got 1.95 gl in the tank you most likely have a bad low fuel sensor and not the problem of the fuel pump sliding up in the sleeve. The sensor can be tested, which I had done with the same problem, and then had the entire fuel pump assembly replaced under warranty. BTW, the power up kit was installed the day I purchased the TE510 and had no impact on warranty coverage with my dealer.
  10. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my bike, the bracket that holds the low light sensor broke (I assume from vibration) that would cause the sensor to drop down into a lower position and would probably cause it not to come on. Ken

[IMG]
  11. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Check the continuity of the orange & black wires coming from the sender, the orange wire broke, inside the insulation, causing my low fuel light to not work.
  12. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

Mine did that. Both wires broke off. Dealer was worthless for getting warrenty work.
  13. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

about how far does a injected te 450 go once it is on reserve?dan
  14. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

I never pushed it, but I would say no more than 15 miles. I can say that because I had the light come on when leaving work, and got gas on the way home, and that was about 10 miles, and the bike still had about a quart or so left in it.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've ran out in 11 miles on my TE510 (dirt riding) after the light came on. It somewhat depends on your terrain and right hand.
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :eek:Gosh, that's worse mileage than a big ol' motorhome.:lol:
  17. bendbiker Husqvarna
    B Class

This forum is the best!
    Yep, the none working fuel light was due to the broken wire at the sensor. Re-soldered the wire, and she works. Great. But, Husky wins a "prize" for using the least amount of copper allowed by "law." Husky could easily improve their reliability by looking at a Honda for connector, wires and connector strain relief. Since so many people have fuel light problems, I reinforced the two wires at the low-fuel sensor by tie-wraping a 2" piece of tie-wrap to the wires and sensor. My thought is the fuel washing action on those wires causes the wires to flex back and forth until they brake. I have photos if interested (have not read how to attach them to a post yet).
  18. Brendacruises Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki KLX 300
    Does anyone know were i can buy a new sensor?
  19. ckenny23 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SM510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CFR450R
    Ya i need to buy a new sensor as well mines junk the tests i ran on it failed where can i buy just the sensor?
  20. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Ouch. That nipples the first thing I saw.