1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 Husqvarna 510TX Build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Hwy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Such a great job.... so neat and clean... beautifully done restoration/evolution.

When do you think it'll be ready for it's first outing?

I was thinking of doing a short video of the very first attempt to fire mine up... I think that would be a fitting end to the project. Would be nice to see and hear yours running.

Stu
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Now drain the oil and gas and park it in your living room. :thumbsup:
  3. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    Day 35 Completed

Well folks, here is the 1986 Husqvarna 510 TX completed, less grips.
    Fired it up and tested rode up and down the street. Starts up easily for a 510, idles nice and shifts like new. I have a very slight oil weep on the camshaft cover but other than that, I'm happy.

Luck would have it that I found a pair of Husqvarna "Showa" forks that will be used in place of the dreadfull OEM 40mm forks.
    I test fitted and found these to bolt on with no mods. The stem bearings are the same, same part number too.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and praise. On to the next project....Maico, maybe....nah, another Hooska for sure.

Check out the before pics from Aug '09 when I picked up the bike in Johnson Valley, CA. I recall it was real hot that day at 105 degrees

The End

Attached Files:

4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HWY,
    Beautifull ! Congrats on a succesfull renovation/restoration.
    Rick
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Hwy,
    Can you take some pictures of the de-compression cables routing
    & how they connect. My 510 was missing them & i've got used ones
    & it would be easier if i had a idea how they hook up.

I'm going to finish my motor between Christmas & New years &
    install then too.

Your Bike is a jewel, almost too nice to ride LOL

later
    John
  6. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice job HWY, I've found the whole thread very inspiring. Very well documented and very nicely done.

I take it you dispensed with the fork sub tanks idea when you found the Showas?
  7. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks John. It turned out like I hoped. I have to admit that I almost resold the bike prior to the re-build, I had it out and waiting for prospective buyer to arrive but I was very relieved when he passed on the deal.
    At any rate, it was a fun project that posed many challenges in parts acquisition and taxed my skills. The color scheme was thought out carefully with emphasis on mixing the right amount of blue and yellow. The polishing of wheel hubs and swingarm added the finish I was after. Bling, but not too much.

Below is the de-comp routing. I do not run the auto decompression unit. Only the manual decomp lever and cable are installed. The yellow arrow in the last photo shows where the auto decomp would attach via a short cabe front the bottom notch shown in the first photo.

I hope this helps you.

Attached Files:

8. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks. I may use the sub-tank for giggles just to see if they work as designed on the forks. I've built these tanks for my KDX and KTM and perform great on the KYB and WP forks.

The Showa will not need the tanks as they are great forks as is. I'll have to anodize that wheel and polish the hub of that unit to match the rest of the build. We'll see.
  9. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi Hwy,

I can't wait to see the pictures of the bike with the Showas on.... Icing on the cake so to speak...

Very nice job.

Stu
  10. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hwy,
    What kind of paint did you use on that engine? Is it a semi-gloss? I was thinking of going with the POR-15 black engine enamel but wasn't sure if it would be too glossy.