1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 Husqvarna 510TX Build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Hwy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC

This one's for you shimmelaw.
    Pegs and stand mounted up on the swingarm. Both the pegs and stand were treated the same way with Caswells' sealant.

The rest of the photos are my progress to date. The stand spring was a bit_h to install, I tugged on the spring for all I was worth.
    More parts coming in this week to finish up the build.l Tomorrow I get to the exhaust, airbox, rear fender and some wiring.

To be continued...

Attached Files:

2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HWY,
    Man, that is a fabulous looking project. Very very nice work there. I bet it looks better in person than the photos will ever show. I am very happy for your progress. Just the right amount of blue bling, too!

These vintage bikes of ours look so neat as rollers. The basic simplicity of the Husqvarna marque really shows w/out the tank, seat and fender all mounted up. Profile shots in front of the white picket is neat.

Caswell finished components look great too. Wish I had known about the product in the early stages of my resto. Would have definitely used that finish technique on some of my components. Too late for me at this point, everythings already powdered - dang it! Chain tensioner "Casewell"ed?

Cables look cool, too! (D_mn, every thing looks cool!) Going that route when I wear out the Terry's.
    Rick
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

doesn't it make you want to start it up and roost that yard? sorry, i slipped....
  4. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looky what I found for the build!
    A nice touch. I paid too much but I had to have it. Circa late 60's early 70's. Story on the item is much of it's life was spend down Baja way.

In my quest to find this type of bag I was able to speak personally to the "Legends" of off road motorcycling.
    Last and this week I spoke to:
    Helmut Claus
    Malcolm Smith
    Penton's (I forgot which one, John or Jack)
    Chase Harper

That was worth the price I paid for the bag alone.

Attached Files:

5. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Reminds me of the ISDT tank mounted bag I had for my 125 Penton
  6. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HWY,
    Nice find! I love those impossible to find vintage parts. I bet that bag is older (and in better shape) than most CH'ers.

How does it mount up? Rear fender, cross bar, tank?
  7. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's a cross bar bag. The wide straps secures the bag closed as well as loop around the cross bar. The narrow straps are to tether it should it come loose.
    I was actually looking for a newer (80's) style bag that was very similar but this one is even better IMHO
  8. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    double post
  9. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Day 10

Finally finished the rear component rebuild.
    Not much problem with the re-fit of parts as I had pre-planned the procedure with all parts at the ready.
    Mostly new parts for the brake, swingarm, linkage and wheel. I did replace fasteners with modern 8.8 reduced head flange bolts in either zinc or stainless where possible.
    Mounting rear tire without scratching the rims was kinda challenging. The Maxxis Desert IT tire are stiff.
    New rear "CROSS COUNTRY" swingarm graphics too. They look matte because I had just finished doing the wet install method and had not dried thoroughly.

Attached Files:

10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HWY,
    Let me be the first to say ........ to say .......... to say........... to say ............. that makes me smile. I've throughly enjoyed your reconstruction up to this point but that right there will be very very hard to top! Gorgeous cool striking clean beautiful sweet artwork and anything else you can think of.

Question = How did you get the lighting for that picture. Mag quality
    Rick
  11. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ah shucks, Rick.
    I thought long and hard about what I envisioned on the color scheme.
    To tell the truth, I thought that I may have gone over the top on bling but when it all came together I knew I had not.

Initially I was going to go for gold and black but I've seen that done before and however good it looked, it had been done. I wanted something different. Enough contrast was achieved with these colors of gold, blue and white.

The lighting is the standard 3:1 portraiture set up.
    3 Nikon SB800's. 2 SB's at 45 degrees at 1/32 and 1/16th power respectively and one SB behind and slight left to rim light the tire at 1/2 power output.
    Shot with a Nikon D90S. 125 sec @ f11
  12. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

You make it sound so easy! I dabble in a bit of photography, but that's way ahead of me. That is a great photo. I'm gonna look forward to the gallery when it's all finished!

Cheers
    Lucien
  13. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    What a pleasant surprise to find this trick rear brake arm in the mailbox today.
    schimmelaw was kind enough to pass this along as he could not use it. He blasted and nickle plated it! I'll be using it for the build.

That's the reason cafehusky is top notch...member's like schimmelaw!

Thanks Rick.

Attached Files:

14. HEMITKN Husqvarna
    B Class

You guys a true artists. :notworthy: Wish I had an ounce of vision I've seen in these builds. Just incredible to watch. Thanks for the awesome work!!! Hope to build an 83 CR/XC 250 to close to this quality someday.:thumbsup:

Mike
  15. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

IM not a artist but a thief keep up the good work guys. My friend think I'm a great fabricator little do they know Ha Ha...Thanks guys
  16. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Day 18

One week progress on the build includes:

1. New primary wiring done (the dual sport hook up will be after completed and running)

2. Cables routed to correct positions

3. All final hardware on suspension and new chain cut and adjusted via removal of shock. Chain guide widened by 6 mm with spacers on chain wheels.

4. All fasteners cut to proper lengths so none were exposed beyond nut.

4. Gold valve installed in front forks.

5. Air box, filters, fuel lines and valve lash adjusted.

6. Exhaust connected and silencer(s) repacked.

7. New Ricohet Armor skid plate with plastic dipped mounts.

8. New spark plug wire and caps assembled and installed.

9. Decompression cable adjusted.

10. New OEM kill switch. I originally planned on using a KTM switch but decided to keep original parts where possible.

More to follow.

Attached Files:

17. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HWY,
    That is so cool Love the blue bling!!!

Questions:
    (1) Finish on header pipes?
    (2) Cafe Husky front fender decal? One of yours?
    (3) Bash plate mounting photos? (I "dipped" my mounting brackets too. Frame protection and slop removal I hope)
    (4) Tank paint? Wasn't that an issue you were dealing w/? Whats the fix?
    (5) Graphics? Your design and manufacture?

Again, very cool. I'm impressed and extremely jealous.
    Rick
  18. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    schimmelaw-

The finish on the headers are ceramic coating under a "special" paint used on fighter jets. My cousin works at Northrop-Grumman in Los Angeles that painted that for me.

CafeHusky.com sticker was something that I was toying with - I don't think that will stay.

I don't have pics of the skid plate mounting but I can snap some. The mounts were double dipped and may have been too much (harder to mount) but it will effectively reduce noise from the plate's resonance.

The tank is still a bit dingy, it just does not show up in these photos. My procedure for cleaning it up was to pour very hot water, almost boiling in the tank with a mix of Ajax cleanser and shot shell bird shot - mix and swirl in tank for ten minutes - it helped a little but not much.
    Exterior of tank was elbow grease and ajax - no painting.

Graphics are mine. I reproduced the originals using 20 mils materials - they're really thick.
  19. WestCoast Husqvarna
    AA Class

Exhaust System

Hello Hwy-

The connection between pipe and muffler... How did you seal the joint?

Was the header pipe pitted? If so, before paint, was this prepped?

Thanks-
  20. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The pipe end was slightly pitted. I prepped the pipe prior to coating and paint by removing all paint and wet sand the pitted area till smooth - I was careful not to take off too much material.
    New OEM o-rings that Phillips sells were installed in the silencer. If it leaks when I fire it up, I'll wrap the end with hi-temp Teflon tape.
    As it stands now, the connection was very tight and feel it will hold.