1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 CR500 Project Bike by Husky 37

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyT, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    The numbers actually look pretty close, except that they're italic.
    The Dunlop sticker on the front fender would look good, too, if you can find one.
  2. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    They are close but no cigar.... I will get some or even make my own before I race. I'll also get some of the other stickers made too.... NGK, Dunlop etc....
  3. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Post shake down report...

I took the Husky out yesterday to run and see if anything fell off (ncluding me :) )......

The day did not start well due to trailer issues.... less said about that the better. Still we managed to get to the test track with a little bit of time to left to run round.

Spanner check and minor adjustments to rear suspension (sag etc... now need stiffer spring for my weight - Doh). Also put on my spare tank so that's why it looks grbby in the photo... (didn't want to risk the nice original one yet)

Still need to get the knack back to start it but that'll come...

First session:

Engine running sweet and responsive... there's always a but... 1st OK 2nd OK 3rd and 4th not OK. It would engage then drop out or just hit a false neutral. So I thought I would just use 1st and 2nd until the sesson ended. The track was not built for 500s so 4th would have been a stretch anyway. Throttle did come loose but that was because it wasn't checked... my fault.

The bit I guess you are waiting for.... vibration. I didn't come back from the first session having noticed it was bad.... no forearm ache.

Sorted out the throttle then started to check gear change... on the stand 1st and 2nd went OK when spinning the wheel but not 3rd or 4th... just found false neutral.

Second Session:

Went out to test if I could hold it in gear or not. Half the time by holding in gear would make it stick.... so that needs investigating but that's engine out and crankcase split.... Ooooo not looking forward to that..

Vibration: Again nothing adverse to report here.... might be that it's less than I remember, just don't know. But I didn't get off complaining of numb bits!!

Forks worked as well but need to run full test and set those up.

Overall pleased that the bike held together but disappointed that gearbox has an issue when it was OK 20 years ago.... Am I asking too much?

Picture:

Me just going out for the second session (no video as we forgot the camera - just one of the things that went wrong) Will make sure I get some video next time.

Tank as mentioned before is a spare tank hence the grubby appearance.

Next report will be after gearbox is fixed and tested.

Stu

Attached Files:

4. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Problems....

Managed to grab a bit of time this weekend to take the engine apart. I didn't like what I saw.....

It seems as though the crankcase gasket has failed as there is gearbox oil in with the crank.... the crank seals were replaced so I don't think it can be those. I will only be sure once I have split the cases which I hope to get done today.

This needs to be back together and fixed by month end so I can get some practice in....

If any one has any advice on splitting and reassembly to make sure everything seals OK I would appreciate it.

Stu
  5. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Latest....

It's been a few weeks now but here's the latest....

1. Engine has been split again and all internals checked... nothing obviously out of place. The only thing we could find was that the 'dog-leg' upper gear change link (behind the clutch was binding and stopping the gears from fully engaging. I just made sure that it wasn't over tightened and was sured by some lock tight.

2. Fuel was dropping out of the Carb overflow pipe so attention to the floats was done to stop that. Why do these things happen even when the part is not used for years and was working perfectly before......

3. Found that the rear shock seals were leaking only after 30 mins riding so that has gone back to be rebuilt. Had a spare shock but the rebound clicker was at the bottom and not just under the Spring cup... had to take the link away from the frame to get the shock in. What a pain...

Finally I managed to get out on it Saturday just gone...

Please to say that:-

1. Had all gears :)
    2. Carb overflow not leaking.
    3. Spare shock held up well.

Experienced some vibration through the handle bars which only effected my right hand in the second stint. Didn't spoil the pleasure though :)

I got some video footage of the test run if anyone wants to view it, I'll edit down so it's not all grass... I don't like putting these things on public display so just PM me and I'll email you the video file or send you a link so you can download load it from a FTP site.

I must admit the lower part of me has some aches and pains but well worth it.... can't wait until this Saturday... Whaa Hooo

Stu
  6. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Glad to hear some things were easily corrected, and went well. Especially the trans issue. Also enjoyed seeing the pic above as I always loved the ALS-1 Helmets, and I see you actually have a JT Husqvarna Jersey as well. Good look. I am at the begining of the path you are near the end of. I would love to see and hear the bike in action, no question. Footage and audio of these on for example youtube is almost non-existent. The project bike I have is my first ever Husky, and it's been a lot of years since I've been around one in person. So I'm dieing to even just see and hear one on a good clip.

Thanks for the updates, I've been subscribed and following for a while. Helps motivate me with mine some too.
  7. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi 1Tuff500XC,

The ALS-1 I originally bought on a business trip to the US when the first came out. If I remember right I had to order it.... I think I was the first to have one in the UK. I have 2 original Oakley half masks which fit the latest Oakleys!! both pairs of my original Oakleys suffered from elastic and foam fatigue

I have just acquired an ALS-2 :)

The shirt is a repro one which I had Destroy Clothing print for me based on the original. I have some original shirts but they don't fit quite right now... However, I can just fit into my JT race jeans!!

It's early days running the bike (and me) in.... so I hope that all will be well.

I am looking to take her out again this Saturday. I will make sure that the video has that crisp 500 crackle audio to match the video :)

Stu
  8. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Neat story on the ALS-1 Stu, original owner huh, cool stuff. I had an ALS-2 for a while, but sold it to a collector years ago. Used to also use the Oakley goggles, along with the old Scott's. I don't have any of my old gear anymore, as I was out of riding for so long. I'm expecting to initially get new gear, and then probably try to get either repro or original vintage stuff.

That is great that you were able to have a reproduction made on the jersey yourself. Great idea.

I can imagine on the early days for you and the bike comment. I hope the bike is sorted out easily. I'm looking forward to being at that stage myself. I'm expecting to find out just how bad a shape I'm in, but also have the most fun in years getting back in tune myself and with the bike.

Can't wait to see/hear any footage you might be able to get. Real excited to see that. Been alot of years for me, so I get an amazing kick out of even just seeing/hearing these bikes on a video clip.

Laurence
  9. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Bad day.....

Went out practicing today....

Everything was Ok until the last lap and I (very stupidly) decided to double onto a table top and came up short....

1. Bent handle bar mounts
    2. Chest protector broken beyond repair
    3. Als2 peak destroyed....
    4. No skin on either elbow
    5. bashed knee
    6. Chest and hand pains....

So not a good day... but the bike is repairable and I'm still walking :)
  10. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ouch, I always had an odd habit of getting some big wrecks out of the way at the beginning of the days riding. When the bike was just warmed up, and I wasn't quite there yet, apparently. Also remember when I was young, somehow I'd often be unscathed. Sorry to hear about the little step backwards, but yes still walking is good. You'll see the ALS visors by themselves on occasion on ebay. And I think they still sell new skin in a bottle. Must have been a pretty big impact for the chest protector to get shattered like that.

When feeling the pain over the next however many days, just keep reminding yourself the bike is just plastic and steel, and is fixable, and that your still walking lol. I spent 6 months in a wheel chair not very long ago (auto accident), so walking is a big thing, often taken for granted.

Hope you have a better one from here on out, and sorry to hear about the misshap.
  11. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I appreciate the words... it could have been worse....

I was going to try and get one more practice session before the main event at Farleigh Castle in 2 weeks time but I think it will be best to get the bike bike back together and heal a bit...

Stu
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stu,
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about the "mishap". Sounds like the protective gear somewhat did its job though. Get to feeling better.
    Rick
  13. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Cheers Rick.

It wouldn't be so bad if I was younger but I turned 50 this year! The pain is nothing compared to feeling like a TWAT :)

Stu
  14. HuskyT Moderator

More details on what you did here please...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

And you have to be a certain age to know what the term "TWAT" means... that may escape some of our younger crowd.... I believe we have about 4 members under 40 now...

Get back to growing some more elbow skin....

T
  15. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi T,

I wish I could give you more details.... would have been great if my daughter had not gone for a cup of tea as she was supposed to be videoing the whole thing..

Basically all I can remember is the approach and leaving the jump..... next thing is pain and picking myself off the floor rather dizzy!!

Concentrating on healing and getting the bike repaired and spruced up for Farleigh Castle in a couple of weeks.

Pictures and report will follow.

Stu
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Hey Stu,

Glad to hear that you are on the mend... my previous post may have came off the wrong way or sounded wrong... if so I apologize...not what I meant at all.... I really am interested in knowing what you think may have happened to cause the crash....

T
  17. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi T,

No problem I took it how you meant it. I too wanted to know what happened......

I know one thing... because my daughter went for a cup of tea I missed out on getting some money for sending the clip to a TV Video mishaps program :doh:

Stu
  18. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

How did you get on at Farleigh?

Were you riding number 38 at Farleigh? How did you get on?

I am sure there is a pic of you on the Picture thread on MXTRAX. Did you have some trouble getting the bike started? :p
  19. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Farleigh Castle

Hi All,

I feel I rather let the side down.....

Yes Murph it was me on the 38 in the Pre-85/4 Stroke class.

I had a bit of a panic as it wouldn't start on Saturday before practice but after a tow I had no further problems.... with starting anyway.

I can't understand why the track was watered as much as it was but... practice went well.. in fact I enjoyed the power slides and the bike was running very nicely and fast.... some pictures below of practice (the only ones I got!)

My strategy for the first race at least was just to let the pack go and then chase... that was OK until I came to the downhill steps (which was OK in practice) and there were by then a couple of riders behind me. I'm not sure if I clipped another rider or not but I hit the deck at the bottom of the steps (a Honda rider did come up to me after think that we had touched, wasn't his fault. Just one of those things.)

I destroyed another peak (which really did hurt) and damaged the front mudguard. At the time I didn't realise what I had done to my leg. Got the bike off the track and started it back up and rode back to the pits on route the front mudguard fell off (you'll see me holding it... just watch the video clip) It was only when I got off that I found I couldn't put any weight on my right leg.

My mate who was spannering for me got the bike ready for the next race but.... it was then I put my sensible head on and made the decision to pull out. Being in pain and not having full movement of my leg I would have been a danger to others.... not what I wanted.

I did approach the organisors to see if somebody on the reserve list could take my place but that wasn't possible....

It was a hard decision to make as it had taken me 10 months to get the bike ready and less time to get race fit.... In hind sight I think I was asking too much to come back after 23 years with only 2 practice sessions and ride a GP circuit. Having said that during practice the bike was flying and I felt good...

All of my troubles pale into insigificance when a fellow rider had spent the same amount of time and effort in getting to Farleigh and sadly past away on the Friday night not having realised his dream. My thoughts are with his family....

As I said at the beginning I feel I let the side down..... there were only a hand full of Husky's there and mine was the only 500 water cooled. I should have at least finished a race.

Time to reflect, regroup and try again....

Thanks to everyone for their support.

I did get some coverage but perhaps not what I wanted.....

video: http://moto.mpora.com/news/vets-mxdn-good-times-roll.html
    picture: http://moto.mpora.com/news/vets-mxdn-gallery-farleigh-castle.html/attachment/scooby-aq5a3106/

enjoy.

Stu

Attached Files:

20. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow, awesome clip! I really enjoyed that. Your gear looks great too.

I myself haven't ridden in alot of years. I'm expecting months of hardcore practice, and it may perhaps never get beyond that. Regardless of how far I can take it or not, I'm going to be back into riding to the extent that my health, condition, and budget will allow.

Best of luck on a quick recovery, and correcting the bikes issues.

And thanks for the clip and pics.......