1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 CR500 Project Bike by Husky 37

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyT, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Northern Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello,
    When you mean the ports have been "touched", does that mean ported?
    eg; lowered & dressed intake port, rasied & polished exhaust port etc etc. Do you know who did it, what they did, dimentions etc.

Cheers
  2. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Northern, is that the standard of what is done???? Lowering the intake, and raising the exhaust?
  3. Northern Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lol, Tuff porting/port timing is alchemy! As l only understand the basics, and there's debatably more than one right way to go depending on your goal, im going to keep quite, and wait for more input ;)
  4. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Gotcha........
  5. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi Murph,

The answer is most definitely YES... I am confirmed for Farleigh Castle in Sept but will also do some events leading up to then. So might see you there.

Stu
  6. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Northern Husky,

Touched as is 'blended' which was done by the Importers at the time (Pro Circuit) It had more than enough power so 'Porting' wasn't needed.

I might be able to find out about porting options as I know where the Pro Circuit's old mechanic now works. If I remember next time I see him.... need to write a note to self these days :)

Stu
  7. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good man, although I am not doing the September Farleigh event myself, so I look forward to seeing the bike at one of the RDH Twinshock events some other time. :cheers:
  8. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    At last... Complete and did she or didn't she fire up?

Well... first of all a note of thanks to all the members that have parted with knowledge and wisdom to help me put my bike back together....

It's been a number of weeks getting to this stage where I could even attempt to kick he back into life.....

After 20+ years it took about 10-12 decent kicks until she fired up and boy she sounded so crisp.... (I had my daughter video the event... all of about 4 mins :) when I download the video I'll try and put where only members can see it)

So as you can imagine I'm well chuffed.....

Here are some pics of the before photo shoot..... (Pic 5 was the works bike I was trying to get close to just as a reminder)

I will do some track time before I take some bits off and redo them (mainly forks tubes as the Anodising has faded soemthing rotten) before Farleigh Castle.

Once again many thanks.

Stu

Attached Files:

9. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Awesome, looks great man, real good. I can't wait to see footage, and hear the beast.
  10. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow, just looked again. Looks fantastic.

If I might ask, where did you get the Acerbis stickers for the sides of the front fender???? Or stencils to paint it on?

Bike looks so fresh, and sweet.

I'll have to go back, as I forgot about the front fork details already.

Big thumbs up!
  11. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Looks great! Do you plan on doing some vintage racing?
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stu,
    Kudos to you! Bike looks fantastic!! Very cool.
    I want a ride report post shake down.
    Always loved that rear-end phot shot of our beloved marque.
    Rick
  13. HuskyT Moderator

I'm a jealous man right now Stu! Great work! Bike looks kickass!

T
  14. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I appreciate the comments... I do feel quite pleased with what has been achieved since Nov 09..

I'm afraid to say the the front fender is an original Acerbis I bought just before I stripped the bike down 20 years ago... had it still in the plastic wrap :). Had to replace the rear one because of some damage.

Stu
  15. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sure am... that's the only reason it's gone back together. Not sure if the body is going to hang together, mine that is :)

Stu
  16. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Rick. Certainly not to the same sandard as your project but I am pleased with the way it turned out although disappointed that the anodizing on the front forks has faded. Not sure what to do about that as it will require the forks to have a full strip and rebuild to re-anodize. I might wait and run the bike for a bit.

I will post a ride report once I have taken it for a days shake down... can't wait :)

Stu
  17. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many thanks...

All the guys on the forum have been great so credit must go to them as well.

As I replied to Rick I'll do a shake down report, hopefully with more Pics and some Video. I'll sort out a place to host the video so only members who PM me can view it if they want. I'm not a fan of U-Tube.

To say that I was pleased when she fired up and sounded so crisp is an understatement..... something only the few will understand...

Stu
  18. Long Range Husqvarna
    B Class

Excellent work Stu. She looks ready for some roostin'. Looking forward to the video. It really is remarkable when you get your project bike to fire up after all these years gone by. Cheers, Gary :cheers:
  19. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks really good Stu. Congratulations, you must be really pleased.

That rear end looks a lot narrower than my '83 twin shocker. Positively svelt! I see also you even went to number '38' in honour of the original.

Cheers
    Luc
  20. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Luc,

I put in a request for that number for the Farleigh event. They confirmed that would be OK so I went ahead and stuck some numbers on just for the photo shoot... they are not quite the right shape but I'll get some to match the works bike along with some other retro decals later.

Just trying to sort out a shake down day..... can't wait.

Stu