1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 XC 250 Lowering Ride Height

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by arbortodd2, Jan 28, 2018.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    if the pitting isnt to bad, i just sand them back with #1500 paper to stop the seals being cut.
  2. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Sourced a set of nos tubes. Anyone know where to source the axel cap studs that screw into the fork legs?
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    phil at husqvarnaparts has em
  4. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Looked like they are out of stock.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    email phil as he doesnt always update the web stocklist
  6. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Taking the frame, etc for powder coating tomorrow. Attached a few pics to show its current condition. Will post some new pics when I pick it up from the powdercoat shop. The serial number on the frame indicates the model year is 1983. A previous owner must have swapped the tank, seat and plastic. I now have a correct tank and seat.

Attached Files:

DeathFromAbove likes this.
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The 1984 WR frame was supposed to have a 28° rake. My 84 250WR has a 1984 serial number on the frame but is actually a leftover 83 frame as it has the 30.5° rake that started with the 1978 OR frame and 1983 was supposed to be the last. It simply carried on the Husqvarna tradition of getting rid of obsolete inventory on the WR series. At least the magazines that tested the 1984 WRs got the correct 84 frame on the test bikes. Not an issue on the 400WR LC as that was a different frame.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    my lc 240 had the tight rake in 84, i dont think any a/c 84's had the tight rake, just the new plastics..could be wrong
  9. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Got the frame, swingarm, and misc parts back from the powder coat shop. Going with the shorter WR rods as some of you have advised. I plan on using the stock swingarm for a while. May decide to find the shorter WR swingarm later. Making some headway.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  10. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Progress. Really just a mock-up so far.

image.jpg image.jpeg
    MikeDi and vintagecs like this.
  11. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    sure looks purdy!
  12. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Ok guys, I need some help. Getting ready to install new fork seals. It has been too long since I took the forks apart and forget which direction the tapered washers go into the fork legs. Tapered side up? I should've took pictures. Thanks in advance.
  13. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Taper down
  14. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Got it. Thanks!
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    dont forget to leave the allen head bolt in the bottom loose till you can get the tubes bottomed without the springs in to centre the damper rod. then tighten it up.
    ajcmbrown and MikeDi like this.
  16. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Duly noted. Appreciate the tip!
  17. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Forks assembled, installed in the triples. Thanks guys for the advice. Note in the picture that I have mounted the seat and tank, just temporarily. From previous pics you can see the tank cleaned up fair but is still yellowed. I have taken the advice from others on this forum and used the beauty shop strength peroxide to bleach the tank. This has made a noticeable difference but will further treatment make for a whiter tank? Also new seat foam for the 84 seems non-existent. Anyone know of a source or have a useable seat foam they can part with? Just pm me if you have a decent one.
    image.jpeg
  18. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    that tank looks amazing as does the rest of it. good luck with the restoration.
  19. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Well, HVA Factory stocks the 1984 seat foam. Shipping across the pond makes ordering a single item pretty expensive. For the money, the 83 scheme suddenly seems more appealing. Just personal preference but I am kind of partial to look of the 83 anyway.

image.jpeg
  20. arbortodd2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 xc250
    Guys, I could use some advice on whether to use the existing front rim or scrap it and find another. It is cracked on one shoulder. Pics are attached. I don't want to scrap it if unnecessary but this one looks a little sketchy, and I am wary of riding on it. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg