1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1977 360 auto

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by DeathFromAbove, May 28, 2018.

1. Steve-F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    1965 Norton G15CS 750
    It's going to be better than new!!:applause:
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  2. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    So I was working on the jetting for the auto and when I got out on the flat and punched it the engagement gear spun!! RPMs thru the roof!! Stopped the bike and pushed it back to the garage. Checked the cable and it was loose. Tried to disengage with the lever, NFG!! Removed the cable and are from the case and tryed to move the shaft, NG! Took the machine home and pulled the transmission. The engagement gear was jammed on the locking lugs on the shaft!! Holy Crap!!

Attached Files:

3. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    More pics, I was able to change the gear and shaft with the one for the second motor that I'm trying to get finished. So a test drive today!!

Attached Files:

Steve-F likes this.
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Chris,
    Looks like the drive gear was not fully engaged when put into drive or the spring that holds tension against it is weak or both. Just my two cents worth looking at the pictures. Was the snap ring on the shaft still in its groove?

Marty
  5. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah Marty, I pulled it out like you see it. When I set up the lever I had the output shaft out so I could make sure there was total engagement. Not sure what what happened. But it doesn't look fully engaged in the pic! I still have to pull the output shaft to make sure the adjustment is correct. How do I measure the spring tension?
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    When you originally took it apart did the first gear wheel slide off the shaft easily? From the looks of the image below, the shaft and or gear can get burrs that impede
    movement.

Husky Auto Dissassembling Mainshaft.png
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Heres something else that may be of interest regarding first gear.

Husky Auto Engagement Problems.png
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And another Service Bulletin.

Husky Auto Start Lever Adjustement.png
  9. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Once I got the gear free of the engagement dogs I slid off freely. I have been riding this bike off and on many times and per the SB only released the gear for starting. Not to say I didn't screw it up I mean I'm the only on touching the bike!:eek: I just finished fine tuning the carb.To be honest I have had problems with the cable end and loop, but that would result in engagement not partial engagement. I'm going to try to get something to hydrauliclly engage the gear. Maybe!!
  10. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Chris,
    I have never seen a spec on the spring as for the spring tension or spring height. I usually just pull it to stretch it some so that there is plenty of spring tension against the gear. If you want you can measure the unloaded height of yours and compare that to some of mine. Also sometimes the support cup (washer) for the spring sometimes get deformed.

Marty
    Docho and ajcmbrown like this.
  11. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Guys I'll do some testing and advise. Chris
  12. Docho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360 Auto
    Well, I'm having a similar problem and suspect that the spring has been compressed too long and has lost it's springyness... Have measured free length and it's 18mm so I'd be interested to hear if anyone can compare a new spring? I've found a supplier in Spain selling them for 0.61 euros so have bought a few on the basis that at that price it's worth a gamble. My local supplier will make them to order but it's £10.68 each for a quantity of 10:eek: IMG_2708.jpg IMG_2707.jpg
  13. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi John, I'll measure mine when I get to the shop. I've been looking for a heavier spring and plan on making the actuator hydrolic to help with the pressure. If your new ones are up to snuff, I'd be interested in one. Lets see what Marty has to say about this. Chris
    Docho likes this.
  14. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine is 29mm, but i might have streched it.

Attached Files:

Docho likes this.
  15. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Good working springs that I have measured over the years are 20-23mm in length. Make sure they stand up straight and not leaning over when placed on a flat surface.

Marty
    Docho and DeathFromAbove like this.
  16. Docho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360 Auto
    So... a bit of judicious stretching and I've only got it as far as 20mm so I suspect 25 years plus with the clutch disengaged hasn't helped! Dog teeth are a bit worn but will be ok with a bit more pressure, I'm going to try a washer under the circlip to compress it a bit more. Century probably do an equivalent but their spec sheet is huge, I can't find anything with the exact dimensions I've taken.
  17. Docho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360 Auto
    Thanks Chris/Marty, certainly looks like mine is compressed, it'll be interesting to see what the new ones are like.
  18. Docho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360 Auto
    Evening all, apologies for the long delay in responding. The Spanish supplier couldn’t get any stock so I have ended up buying 2 springs from Ebay. 3x34x30, I ground the ends flat on 1 as per the old spring, that left the length at 30, installed it and apart from a good squeeze on the lever it works perfectly, no slippage at all!! The extra tension is no great problem given it only needs to be disengaged when starting. The springs were £4.60 for the pair delivered. Approx. $6.50. Pictures attached. If anyone wants me to get a few please let me know but they should be available on eBay worldwide.
    Been very cold and snowing here so hopefully I’ll get out next month

Attached Files:

19. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I bought a couple too, thanks for the info John. Chris
  20. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Hi Docho, could you post a link to the eBay seller you used please, I have a new shaft and engagement gear for one of my bikes, it would be a good idea to have a decent spring as well!