1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Scott I looked up the 2K stuff. Pretty interesting. There is an ebay business that will mix up the 1990 1zuzu orange in the 2k spray can.

How many cans do you think it will take to spray the small Husky Tank? I'll have to buy a can of clear coat to cover the decals with. Overall I think I can do a good rattle can job until I can source a tank correct for the bike.
  2. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Steve, finally home from work. Now to get caught up.
    Here are photos of the Bing Agency circlip.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  3. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    You would only need one can of each to paint the tank and you probably won't use all of it. I did one tank and two fenders with 1 can of clear not to long ago, it all depends on how many coats you put on. I found that using this method does a pretty nice job. The spray pattern out of the can is almost like a gun and you can turn the nozzle to change the direction of the nozzle. The downside is you have to use the spraymax I think within a 48 hour period, that's it's pot life. I'm doing a tank this week if it warms up enough. Good Luck.
  4. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Mark, 1968 Porsche 912 Mandarin Orange is a dead nutz match for your 450.
  5. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Thanks, exactly what I need to make that expensive slide work. I'll contact Bing.
    Steve
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I'm curious, do these Bing Agency slides require a cable lock? Will the original flat disc or plastic cup work?

Originally a flat disc was used under the slide spring to keep the cable from coming out of the slide. Later model Bings used a plastic cup which I prefer as it makes assembly easier.
  7. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I no longer have any of the flat discs, but I don't think they will fit the new slides (side by side photo of new and old slides below). I also prefer the plastic cup with the tip that locks the cable from being able to come out. But the plastic cup will not fit the new slide either. Looks like the new slide will just rely on cable/ spring tension to keep the cable end held into its recess in the bottom of the slide. I'll be contacting Bing about the needle retainer pictured above this week, I'll ask them about this as well.

Attached Files:

8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    That's the way I figured it would work. I double checked and the spring does hold the new style clip in place.
  9. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I was in the shed today and found a couple of the Honda wiring bands. They are those malleable metal bands with the plastic sheath that Honda uses to tie the wiring harness to the frame.

I measured the width and length and have the following if any one is interested.

95014-61200 is 10mm wide and 180 mm long (this one will hold the Motoplat wiring to the frame down tube) $1.28 each

95014-61300 is 10 mm wide and 207 mm long (this one should wrap around the fork leg and secure the brake cable) $1.08 each

Don't buy these off e-bay, they really jack up the price. They are available from any Honda dealer though they may have to order them but when you order from the dealer you don't pay for shipping.
  10. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Spoke with the folks at Bing yesterday. He said there should be a plate that goes over the clip and under the spring, sounds like you may not have the plate... going to send me both the clip and the plate, I don't have either one. Let you know and post a picture when they get here.
  11. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Nope, I don't have that plate either.

Thanks for checking it out.
  12. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    From memory I think it was a small squarish type plate. I could be wrong but it seems like it was.
  13. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think that's right, seems like they also had a tab bent down that prevented the cable from being able to dislodge.
  14. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So Bing sent me the needle clip and the plate (washer) at no charge (bought a rebuild kit too). Maybe there is some confusion as to what should be supplied with the slide since it is not original. Back together now, everything fits. Nothing there to lock the cable, but I don't think that it would be likely to dislodge unless the slide were to stick...
    IMG752.jpg bou
  15. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 - SMS 125 - TE 250 - TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    Great project. Subscribing right now.

Some people...
  16. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

yep, mine is a pressed piece of what looks like spring steel, all four corners are chamfered off so it sits in the recess in the base of the std slide.
    Chayzed Pilot likes this.
  17. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    My original is like Loony's a stamped square with camfered corners.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I finally sourced what I think is the correct bolt for the rear tank mount.
    image.jpeg

Is this the right bolt?
  19. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hadn't seen one with the shoulder in two pieces before, both my 70 frames had a one piece shoulder. Parts manual shows same part number from 67 to 72. I would use it, hard to find these (looks too right to be wrong). Here's the original off my 70. Anyone else know when the two piece shouldered tank bolt was used?
    IMG761.jpg IMG762.jpg
  20. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Looks like the same bolt Looney posted for me.

I have an odd one but I'll use it.

Thanks Steve!