1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Beautiful bike. :love:
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Checking for a good ground sounds good to me. The Femsa ignitions have a good dependability track record so what comes to my mind is whether the points are opening and second if the condenser has failed. If the secondary coil is grounded well then check the wiring between the secondary coil and the points. Theres also the chance the primary coil is toast.

The only caveat with timing that I've experienced is with the degrees BTDC. The shop manual says 3.02mm or 22 degrees and the service bulletin I attached above says 1.10mm or 18 degrees. I can say from experience that if you set the timing on the 360 mag to 3.02 mm when it has a new tight top end (excellent compression) it'll kick back like a little mule, so go with the service bulletin recommendation of 1.10mm BTDC.

Wish I could help out on the stock silencer parts but I don't have anything laying around.
    SteveJ likes this.
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Good durable, reliable ignition when set up and maintained properly. Agree with checking ground also. Along with Crash's comments, verify point gap at .35mm to .45mm or .016 inches, viewed through 2nd slot in flywheel. If points are opening properly, then you'll need to pull the flywheel. The condenser, primary coil and wire to the secondary coil all connect at the same terminal on the points, pretty close in there, make sure none of the terminals are turned to where they ground out on the breaker plate. I've also seen the condenser wire mis-routed and rubbed through on the flywheel eccentric, no spark. If those things are okay, I'll get you the resistance reading for the primary coil.
  4. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Hey thanks! I'll try to make a few hours tomorrow to inspect the system.
  5. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    That bike is saaaaaaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Hey Scott! I have yet to ride the 450. She is put up safe and sound until our shop is done then I'll finish the few little things and take her for a spin. Can't wait to try out those shocks!

Yeah I am getting a wee bit smarter about buying potential restorations...LOL

The two parts bikes are disasters but my girl wants to restore one for herself :popcorn: It should be a lot of fun to help her.
  7. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Oh, I guess I should post a picture of the parts bike. Here is one
    IMG_1960.JPG
  8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is the other one:
    IMG_1959.JPG
  9. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Can you guys identify this engine? As you can see the ID plate is missing as is a large piece of the case! I will try to get the head off and measure the cylinder another day.
    IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2123.JPG
  10. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Looks like a 360 motor. Worth rebuilding too.
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I agree with grouty, a 360 motor. The Motoplat ignition and the short reed box would give it away as being a 76, the last year for the Swedish 360cc displacement. 77 was the first year for the 390.
  12. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Fin count and single front motor mount bolt on the case makes it look like a 360 to me. The entire intake manifold is from a later model... 1978-on for the carb side (Mikuni mount). 1976 was the first year of the rib on the engine side of the intake manifold but in 1976 it was about 1/4" longer than the one shown here... (Looks to me like all those intake manifold parts might be from a later 390? I just did a lot of research while looking for a Mikuni intake for my 1976 250CR) Motoplat = CR. Frame number makes it a late 1975. I say 1975 360CR?
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My 75 360cr I purchased new in 75 came with a Femsa but the 76 360wr motor I picked up much later had a Motoplat but then so did the 76 360cr. I know this goes against the earlier practice of cr's only having the Motoplat and wr's the Femsa but when it came to the 75 360cr GP I feel that Husky was tired of the Motoplat failures.

Since the parts list shows the intake manifold was the same for 75 and 76 it makes sense that the manifold could have been changed out to accept a mikuni. The fin count was a good observation for confirming the 360 displacement.

As for the frame number I'm not sure about the 75 year even though data shows that the 75 frames go to 6000. I wonder if Husky numbered the frames as they were assembled or did it before assembly whereas they could have ended up with extra frames under 6000 that were sold in early 76. Or maybe this is a 76 motor in a 75 frame with a 78 or later intake.:thinking:

Oh well really doesn't matter, it is fun to speculate though.
  14. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    And thus why I asked the pros here! I now have something to go with. Looking at the condition these two parts bikes are in I do have to question if that engine was original to that frame. Regardless they will be long rewarding projects.

Thanks again for the wealth of information. Picked up a lot, fun count, intake differences and ignition....all going into the folder.
  15. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Is there any evidence of a side stand lug ? I can't see from the pictures. From my understanding, the 75's had the lug on the frame and 76 on had them on the swing arm.
  16. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    You mean this....lol. I think someone welded a Yamaha side stand to the frame.
  17. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    1975 and 1976 GP frame models (ML) had a removable "bolt on" kickstand that attached to the rear lower engine mount. 1977 went to the swingarm mount kickstand.

Capture.JPG
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Sorry guys, I guess the picture never loaded of the kick stand.

image.jpeg
  19. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Sitting here in El Paso waiting for the storms to pass before I ride back to Albuquerque. I was sitting with a guy from Texas who has a 1975 Penton Jackpiner 175.
    He asked if I would be interested in restoring it for him. It's in crates and he is the original owner.

You guys know if parts are available for this machine or any contacts that could help me with this project should I take it on?
  20. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    My good friend Ron Carbaugh is in Texas and he is a Penton/KTM guru. Send me a PM and I can hook you up.