1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 15 pilot size standard??? not even on chart

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Loco, Nov 14, 2015.

1. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    That 32.5 pilot is to big. Gonna keep fouling.
    Rob09 likes this.
  2. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    you are right!!!, I took it out for a bit and it fouled. I leaned out the mixture again, and fouled again. I ended up going back to that stupid 15 pilot jet. It starts ok on warmer weather, but I rather have a hard time starting the bike than fouling the plug every 5 minutes. I will have to find the right way to get my bike started (full throttle every time I kick it) and live with it, or, like everyone else suggests, get a lectron.
  3. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Before replacing the carb why not try smaller pilot jets (there's plenty of adjustment between 15 and 32.5) until you get it right. Perhaps start at 25, only cos its midway, and work from there. You'll know you've got the right one when the best idle and performance occurs with the air screw set between 1 & 2 turns out. You may also find you'll need different pilots for summer and winter.
    Be wary of copying someone else's settings, they may give a good starting point but may not be "right" for your conditions.
    PowerKord likes this.
  4. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    ^^^
    I agree with Oldschool. Try some different pilot jets. 27.5 was best for me in the summer.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husky had a power up jet kit that was a pilot and needle I believe, I may have one lying around.
  6. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    I am sure is the pilot that is doing the trick. I replaced the main 420 with the original 400 and still fouled the plug with the 32.5 pilot. I went back to the 15 pilot, and it is working fine. The 32.5 works for faster riders on faster tracks, but there is a lot of idling on the kind of terrain I go to.
    Thanks for the comments, I will try to get a slightly larger pilot than the 15 and see if the starting improves and fouling does not happen.
  7. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    I took the bike for a run yesterday, and right from the start, I fouled the plug with the 15 pilot (here comes the excuse = kept trying to start the bike with the exhaust plug on, without knowing of course! :banghead:). I changed the plug and was running reasonably good, other than the idle. Si I adjusted to air screw to 1 turn, up from 1/2 turn. I gave it to mu buddy to try it, and he told me the carburation is perfect from bottom top. I adjusted the idle and went for a 50 km ride. I am puzzled, the bike starts on the 2 kick from cold and 1st kick when warm. It must be the temperature that makes my setup very sensitive. I will see if I have the same starting problems at the end of the season. If that is true, I might have to have 2 pilots, one for the summer and another one for the winter as Oldschool suggested.
    Well, for now, the original setup is working perfect I learned another lesson the hard way. :D
  8. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    almost a year later, and still with the 15 pilot. Working fine, but i think it is the fuel mixture that does it. $0:1 with racing oil is not right for my style I guess. I will start with regular synthetic this season and keep the pilots the way they are. Hope for good dry spring weather to start the season early. Will update n the outcome. Thanks to all for the kind comments!
    Ed.
  9. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    btw, i ran all year with no problems, until I tried to take it for a ride a month ago on a warm spell... old gas (with stabil) but fouled the plug. thus my effort to try different oil:fuel ratio. Will update as soon as i try it.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    a good rule of thumb, and I have big thumbs
    if racing (as in wringing it's neck) mix right before you race, as in same day
    if you are trail riding, anything close to a month is questionable especially with current fuel
    oil destroys the gas gas destroys the oil, it needs to be fresh to fuel and lubricate
    Oldscool and Loco like this.
  11. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Lesson learned!!
    thanks,
    Ed.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you don't ride that often then Race fuel is the way to go. Yes it's more expensive but then you can tune your engine for all out performance and for example VP110 has a 3 year shelf life with no additives compared to about 90 days with pump gas. If you dedicate your bike to only race fuel you can have the head redone and gain a lot of performance, especially in the low and mid range. The best thing is when you decide to ride after a long lay off you don't have to work on your bike for 1/2 the day to get it running right. I use it in all my off road bikes 2t and 4t as well as chainsaws and yard equipment. Life is too short to spend your weekends working on your string trimmers. There's a lot to be gained by remapping a 4t when you go to race fuel only but with a 2 stroke it's even more important because the fuel varnish is also going to affect the crankshaft and rod bearings.
    2premo likes this.
  13. SmokeyExpress Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300, 1996 WR360,2013 WR125
    Lectron! Solved all my issues with the standard carb!
    Best $ I ever spent on modding a bike!