1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 15 pilot size standard??? not even on chart

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Loco, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Hi all, I have a WR250 from '06 and had trouble starting it as the weather got colder. I took apart the carb and found out that i have a 15 pilot jet when the lowest size on the manual is 30. Is that possible or there is more than one way to size the jets? My main jet is a 400.
    The only way to start the bike at around 5C is with a full opened throttle and it will take a lot of kicks to get it going. It will start on the first kick after is has ran for a couple of minutes.
    Planning to go up to the 30 pilot jet, maybe the 35 and I will go to a 430 main jet.. Any advice against it? I'm in Quebec, Canada, and I'm also planning to do some ice shredding this winter over the frozen rivers.
  2. gwynfryn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr250
    There is no such thing as a "standard" jet size. From memory they may go down to a 10.
    Jetting from specs in a manual is at best a rough starting guide.

Compression
    Reeds
    Spark
    Air Filter
    Gas, fresh, Ratio
    Starting technique
    Altitude
    Float height
    Etc Etc
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I had all the wrong jets in my carb when I bought my brand new WR300. I think it had such foolishness as a 380 main jet, a 17.5 pilot and the wrong size starter jet and slide as well. I could barely get the bike running and was darned lucky that I didn't seize it while I ran it for a short spell. The proper jetting components were sent to my dealer, and I took the bike back to have them installed, all at no cost, as there was a bulletin out about some of the WRs slipping out with wrong jetting. The bike certainly started and ran better then! Finally, I installed a JD jetting kit and got the bike pretty dialed.
    wait4me likes this.
  4. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    I think they put small pilots in all of them to satisfy there emission standards in Europe,My 07 WR125 came with a small pilot and a plastic spacer in the slide. Most dealers take them out and put a 35 pilot in for starters and then you jet from there depending on your altitude.They came with bigger jets in a seperate package with the bike when new.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    A 32.5 pilot was the magic number for me. 09 wr250
    454x likes this.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There was a jetting kit upgrade for the 2006 models that came stateside, the 15 was in fact how they arrived. I am surprised it stayed in the bike so long.
  7. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    32.5 also in my Uptite 167
  8. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    I was surprised as well. The guy who sold it to me never idle the bike, and he was against it. My screw is out less than .75 turns and it idles nice, but it is very hard to start in colder weather. I will buy a few pilot jets and test them in cold weather. I will post the results when I'm done with it, and I hope that is the issue. The bike runs pretty nice otherwise. I'm sure that pilot was way too small, the bike is boggin now when I gas it from low RPM's. Thanks to all for the replies!
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would start at 32.5.
    lankydoug likes this.
  10. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    that is the one I have in mind. It is on the way. thx.
  11. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    I finally got my pilot jet and installed it getting ready for this year's season. Got a 32.5 jet and started my bike after being stored for the season on the second kick, I was so happy ! that stupid 15 pilot was just... stupid.
    I'm now trying to get the idle set, how many turns out would it be a good place to start??? I tried quickly to get it set, but my bike was not to temp, and my neighbors where starting to get annoyed by the noise.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    1 1/2 turns out on the air screw then set the idle where you like it and readjust the air screw for the best response and strongest idle.
  13. ripnriding Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX 300 and 2010 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 husqvarna TE 450(sold)

HAHA I was able to justify starting and riding my prior rig up and down the subdivision because it was blue plated.....only did this a couple times with the smoker as.....it is justifiably illegal to do it heheheh we should move out to greener pastures vs subdivisions and cul de sacs :)
    justintendo likes this.
  14. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    taking the bike out to the trails tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
    Ed
  15. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    yeah, I take it for a spin every once in a while, but it is not right when everyone is looking at you like if you were a hooligan!, but i still do it. Cannot blue plate my WR250 in QC, but I could in ON.
  16. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Update, I got too excited and got into the trails without adjusting the air screw... I fouled my plug, and did not bring one with me. I had to push back the bike for 4.1 km, some of it through the trails, some of it on the road. I was fuming!!!, but i got to change the plug, adjusted the air screw, and now it runs better than ever before. I'm aching though.
    Ed
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    first question what altitude are you riding at 2nd did you change the main, needle or needle jet
    before riding I would redo all the jetting
    as was commented about emissions i would also look at the slide
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    or buy a Lectron
  19. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Only stupid thing was the dealer who set up the bike when new. As Bill502 said, this was part of the Euro Homologation emissions set up. Dealer had a kit to install "Race" settings. Also as rancher1 said.... how did it stay like that for 10 years?
  20. Loco Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Good question!, the guy who sold it to me last year was using it for motocross racing, and never even knew about it I guess.
    I also changed my main to 420 for colder weather, (have 430 for ice riding) but there was never a good time to ride it on cold weather. I will go back to the 400 main for the next ride. I ride between 100 m and 500 m and temps between -10C (420-430 main jets) to 25 C (400 main). The pilot will stay as is for all temps I guess.