1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Zip-Ty drain back kit 2012 TE310

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by James ODay, Apr 5, 2014.

1. James ODay Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Bought the drain back kit for my 2012 TE310. Went to install it and figured out that to get the
    new fill plug with the hose extension on you have to remove oil filter cover and clutch cover, however the barb extension on the fill plug still runs into the engine case as you try to screw it in. It will easily clear the first 360 deg rotation, the second rotation it touches the case and needs a little persuasion, the third rotation will not go.

Frustrating because it seems like it's almost seated, but just not quite, and it will just not clear that one area. The kit did not come with o-ring for the new filler plug so I'm assuming you use the o-ring off the old plug?

I know this is supposed to work, so what am I missing here?
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I thought the same thing at first, but the barb is free to rotate 360. Just tighten the hex below the barb while keeping the barb aimed where you want it. I went as far as removing the filter cover before discovering this. Easy.

To put oil back into the bike I used the cut-off hose that went to the bottom of the crank case and RTV'd it into a small funnel. Just slide the hose onto the barb and slowly fill. This will be a dedicated funnel from now on.
    ptkatoomer likes this.
  3. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Is the barb and cap assembly sealed top and bottom? Could water infiltrate the swivel assembly? Figure it has a seal somewhere but fine crud and water I worry about at swim time.
  4. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
  5. James ODay Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Huh, I thought I tried to swivel the barb and could swear it did not move. But looking at the ZT website it does say it swivels. Don't know about the sealing issue, but you would think it would not be watertight.

I also wondered about the screen filter below. Now that the drain back hose no longer goes there, is the screen even doing anything. And for that matter now that the hose goes to the fill plug and there is no longer a filter, is that a bad thing?

And another thing, why did the fill plug come with an o-ring on the tip of the plug, but not at the base, where it seems it's needed?
  6. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    There are 3 O-rings on the barbed fitting part. The one you can see holds the pieces together the other 2 seal the oil in and the water dust out. gentaly remove the outer o-ring and you can pull it apart and add some grease to the other 2 o-rings and they will swivel better. But the truth is once you get it on you will not remove the plug again as oil fills now happen by removing the hose.
    Johnrg likes this.
  7. James ODay Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Mic,

Thank you for the link to the previous thread. I did do a search before I posted but strangely did not come up with that thread. It pretty much answers everything.
  8. John s Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda monkey
    I recently bought a 2012 TE310 and would love to get the bypass oil set up from Zip Ty but they no longer manufacture it. I have not had any luck with getting a response from Zip Ty about getting one but I am wondering if anyone on this forum might have a handle on where I could buy one? I appreciate any help you can give me.