ZERO

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by fasteer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    probably what all those guys in the mud race thought until it blew it them. :p
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Must have been a short race.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    There was a guy running around napa last year on a plated zero. I was seeing him everyday. It's been over a year since I've seen him. It was really strange to be able to only hear the sprocket and belt. I never got a chance to talk to him, but mysteriously, he disappeared.
  4. Not Dead Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    GG TXT 280, TTR125, RM65, OSET 20. R
    I originally speculated that KTM bought Husqvarna for the frame and suspension design on the 449 The sprocket and the swing arm are combined and would be great for a electric moto. I think electric bikes were more of a toy. My son would ride his OSET 16 around the neighborhood, parks, and the yard with out a complaint for 2+ hours. His riding skill are great. My son has Just Sold his OSET 16.0 24v and was able to Buy the 20.0 Racing model. Big difference It is a motorcycle, and has the power to back it up. I am not certain if he will be able to ride this around the parks anymore Disguised as a toy (This isn't a Plastic Power Wheel).

-----------Side tracked ------------------------

OK, I believe that if they used the rear suspension and adjusted the frame a little (Better balance of battery and motor) the package might almost be there. Yes, I love my 4 Stroke TXC310 and the sound that it makes. But if I could ride all day and night with out the neighbors complaining that would be great. I think the Zero is a Glamorous start but I feel that the motocross/trials competitive technical advances will be used to make it possible in the future.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  5. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3

to add how would they do with a submersing water crossing suddenly all kind of (electrocuted) dead fish will surround you :thinking:
  6. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    All joking aside, that is a real concern you brought up and I honestly never even thought of it until now.:thinking: I am sure the manufacturer will dismiss it as silly and claim they have the battery sealed or some other legal crap. But only time will tell how deep water crossings come into play.
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Don't get me wrong here I am not against electrical propelled motorcycles yet I don't think they will do in all situations

for a MX purpose 20 minutes and 2 rounds then swap the batteries for a new set to start the second heat it could work out really well (probably at this stage of battery development)

but i also saw a few motorbikes ended up in situations that the battery would not survive due to shorting out

slipping and drowning your bike is no fun with any bike and for sure you spent some time of getting it going if your battery pack is fried first these things have serious energy in them and iI would not be surprised if you can weld with them
    second I would think it would be a more expensive mishap that drowning just a combustion engine

Robert-Jan
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just Google mixing lithium and water...
    reveille likes this.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    lithium, potasium, sodium all sweet reactions with water.
    thats why they make good batteries because of the amount of energy stored in them, ive used brushless rc cars for a while the motor can run completly submersed no sealent required, most speed controllers are sealed really well to, the issue is the battery you really need to be sure those are sealed tight.
    there will be far to many connections on an electric bike to be sure this wont happen.
    has anyone pointed out that the zeros dont use led lights.!?!
    any one know a good reason for this?

p.s. if this a water tight unit there is no crossing too deep!
    duggoey likes this.
  10. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e

There was a four part TV show on the zeros on the Discovery Channel or Velocity or one of those… anyways… In one spot a gal (whom I know from a local riding forum) took her zero fully under water. Only the seat was above the water IIRC. I'll check my TiVo when I get home (I save the episodes) and see if I can find it on YouTube. Or at least that section. It was impressive. It's great hearing them zip by only hearing a slight electrical whine and the sound of the tires on the gravel. That would do quite a bit to ease the pressure on closing OHV trails. Even though 99% of those opposing it are never anywhere near the trails we ride… :cool:

BTW, a good buddy of mine just got a job at Zero. He's been there… about two months now. So if you have any unique questions you can't find on google and you ask me nicely...
    454x likes this.
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    any chance he could mis address one to me in the uk?
  12. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Looks like they have discontinued their mx model. Are they going to leave this market to KTM? I've also seen a vid of the zero going seat deep through water. It was also written up in a moto mag which included its submarine abilities.
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I can tell you this. I rode my Harley home from work the other night with a guy on a Zero. On the freeway he was cruising about 75 and probably passed me at least once going almost 90. As I followed behind I kept hearing a high pitched whine.

Other than totally sneaking up on me from behind as traffic slowed and was looking to split lanes, it was surprising that I could hear it over my bike. At 80ish I could clearly hear the whine of that thing over my less than stock exhaust. He clearly didn't like when I got ahead of him. Must have had something to do with the song my HOG was singing or the odiferous scent of burning dino juice.
    juicypips likes this.