Yet another broken rear fender.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by William Clark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hafte Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR450F
    Here is the fix that the mechanic came up with at the dealer where my terra was purchased. It was done under warrenty. I removed the metal and attached the plate to the plastic. Note the bars and attachment points. It made a huge differance in stability of the fender.

I still agree with RE it should be bobbed, but this fix seems to be simple and very tough. I have ~700- 800 miles of dirt roads on it already and it is working well.

Now I just need a top rack that will stay on the bike. My KLR freinds have had the same issues with bolt failures on the top racks also.
    [IMG]
    chris1261 likes this.
  2. RockinRod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    79 GS850G, 99VFR800Fi , 04ST1300A
    Guys,
    Imma try that , looks good to me, and as often as I have tested gravity of late.....like every time I have been out I have not only tested gravity{it still works!!} but some body armor as well....LOL.....need different tires for that Sandhill region I live in....lots of it round here well cya'll round
    Rod
  3. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    my number plate holder broke on the left side about 2 months ago after riding some dirt logging roads here in Maine, I emailed my dealer, Motofit in Danbury, CT about this problem. Lindsay said she needed photos to show Husqvarna NA. I sent her a bunch showing the break and the bike. I also asked if I could get a tool kit that was not supplied. Finally called Josh my salesman last week because nothing was happening. She just notified me Thursday last week that my warranty claim was being processed and I should have a new number plate holder # 8000H5322 and a tool kit # 8000H5325 soon. Now what is the best way to keep it from breaking again.
  4. Delnari Husqvarna
    A Class

Looks like we just keep getting the factory piece replaced each time it breaks under warranty, or do the support brackets. I will look at getting some supports install this weekend on my own. $5 of insurance is cheaper than my time waiting on a dealer part to arrive and be installed.
  5. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Are the support brackets supplied by Husqvarna/NA warranty? Or did you make them yourself? Angle or flat stock or tube would work. I saw one that was fabed from tube stock. They told me I had to bring it in to the dealer to have it covered by warranty claims. No chance of that happening, my dealer is in CT and I'm in Maine 400 miles away. I just purchased the BRMoto rack. That will support it for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed that the dealer Motofit in Ct will send me a new number plate holder, tail light, reflectors, and the part that caught the tire. I don't think I'll use that again though. Had to get a new Maine plate $5.75 and a new inspection sticker $12.00. You do the math Husqvarna owes me about $112.00 plus my time driving to the Division of motor vehicle for a new plate and driving to the inspection station for a new sticker.
  6. Delnari Husqvarna
    A Class

I feel your pain. You expect a new bike to be defect free and for this to occur on a lot of bikes shows it is a defect that needs a recall. Going to be proactive and find a piece from Home Depot I can cut and mount until a factory replacment is made available. I'll take some pictures on the I'm sure will be ugly fix :rolleyes:
    johnsweet likes this.
  7. Hafte Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR450F
    So atfer ~1500 miles (~800+ miles on dirt roads) on the above fix, see post #41 . the fender is still sold. I also removed the license plate holder and bolted the plate to the plastic. It doesn't seem to move around at all.

They told me I would only get one shot at a warranty fix. And waiting for the new parts was rediculous.

The mechanic at my dealer made the parts from SS tubing that was part of the shipping crates for some of the bikes they get in. He cut them to length, flattened the ends, drilled holes and painted.

Happy so far.
  8. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    well I'm glad your still happy but I'm to far away from a dealer, I ordered parts thru ktm-parts.com, still backorderd and due to be shipped next week and I also claimed the broken parts thru my dealer. I just wan't satisfaction from Husky/NA. It's a recall issue not a warranty issue. They should stand behind there motorcycles and make it right. A Class action suit would make them sit up and pay attention. Send me your names and addresses and I will see if we can get this right.
  9. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    I ordered a Tail-Tidy from Twisted-Throttle on August 6th. I figured I may as well upgrade rather than wait for another rear fender to be replaced under warranty. The Tail-Tidy looks like a nice quality part. It looks like good solution for our problem... if you have the time and money for it.
  10. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've read in here it does not fit
  11. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Note that there is discussion out there about how the tail tidy may require some custom work to make it fit. I don't have one, so maybe someone that does can speak up.
  12. DaneH Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 DR 650
    It didn't require any custom work to get it to fit on my bike. Its an OK piece, not worth the $200 price tag but it does do the trick. Like any aftermarket piece it does not fit as well as the OEM stuff. The main problem was that the spacing on the four mount screws are just slightly off requiring you to partially thread all then do a round robin when torquing like you would on wheel lugs. If anyone wants to give it a shot, I will throw the shameless plug in that mine is listed for sale in the classifieds. Much cheaper than a new one :)
  13. Hafte Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR450F
    Only happy that the fender has not self destructed again. Not happy with Huskvarna/BMW/KTM. I took the bike in on July 6 and the parts didn't show up untill 8 Aug. They installed the parts and the computer bricked (i.e. the EWS error appeared so the key was not recognized) I am currently on a "loaner" computer, ignition from husky NA awaiting parts to replace the "loaner" parts. Didn't get the bike back untill Aug 28. Two days before I was off on a ride to So. Utah. I was getting my WR450F ready for that ride not expecting to see the husky back in time.

At this point I have ordered another bike to replace the husky. One I hope will be more suited to the type of offroad adventure riding I really want to partake of i.e. more travel in the
    suspension, more rugged platsics, a better defended radiator, lighter weight, and less issues with electronics. Its all a compromise anyway. Seems no one makes a perfect bike for adventure touring that I have found and can afford.

The husky will be sold ASAP. I'm pretty much done with this bike. Just hope I can get enough to pay off the loan.
    mag00 likes this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I think the majority of new vehicle buyers know the inherent risk in buying the first year release of a new model. There are bound to be some teething issues. I think it's unrealistic to expect that a first year model will be absolutely fault free. Not making excuses for Husqvarna, just being realistic.
    TE250Guy, mag00 and kjackbrown like this.
  15. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  16. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
    But....I don't think anyone expected the brand to be sold out from underneath us, leaving the majority of dealers without the essential MOSS tool - along with an unacceptable protracted parts procurement scenario.
    This isn't a "teething issue" it's a full-out problematic root canal :)
  17. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

True, but the MOSS is not a fault with the bike. From the reports I have read here its the dealers who have opted to leave their customers high and dry in that regard, and having known Ducati and Aprilia owners in the past, I know how long the boat from Italy takes, compared to Japanese manufacturers. As it happens, my other bike, a Suzuki DL1000 is currently off the road, waiting 3 weeks for a new fuel filter to be shipped out from Japan on special order, after leaving me stranded 600km from home last weekend.
  18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Personally, I'd chop everything out from under the fender itself and tuck the plate up in there. It was easy as pie on my 630 with the grab-handle brackets to bolt two small sections of 1" aluminum angle to to mount the plate, and it's rock solid. Can't imagine it would be much harder on the 650, assuming the plate actually fits between the cans. Just have to find somewhere to stick some stubby indicators.
    Haven't gotten any trouble from cops for it, it's plainly visible from the rear.

[IMG]

$30 Ebay indicators.

[IMG]
  19. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    In the op post where they made the brackets at the dealership, there is a plastic box that is missing. I just made brackets around that plastic piece and if you remove it the brackets are very easy no special angles. I decided to leave mine and you have to bend the tubing about a half inch and every thing clears. Went to Lowes picked up some steel tubing for $6 and with a vise did the bending on the tube and crimping at the ends. Drilled the holes with a drill press but you can use a hand drill with the vise. I had a belt sander so was able to sand of the square ends and then used a wire brush to clean the metal. Did not have time prime and paint yesterday but should today and done. IMG_20130929_075824.jpg IMG_20130929_075824.jpg Because I do plan on riding offroad and here in Florida that means sand and mud flies every where I want to keep all the coverage of the rear tail. I am hoping with the brackets help even leaving the metal bracket will not be a big deal.
  20. William Clark Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 yamaha rt100 (sons bike)
    took my bike on the trails with the new fender. went thru a good whoop section a few times fast enough to get air and the brace i mad worked wonderfully. i know the rear rack is a weak point but the only thing i ever put on the rack is the occasional 12-pak....so it will work for now.
    johnsweet likes this.