1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Yes...sometimes cylinder heads DO break...

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Richard Colahan, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    A few days ago our friend "Visiteur" posted a neat photo of a stack of boxed-up NOS Husky cylinder heads sitting in a warehouse.
    It was followed by the observation: "Trouble is, when have you ever worn out a 2 stroke cylinder head?"
    Well...I can't say that I've ever worn one out...but I sure have broken one.
    The attached photos are of my 1974 125WR taken after the 1979 Corduroy Enduro, the 350 mile 2 day Canadian Championship.
    I toppled over on my right hand side on a muddy skid road, and the side of the bike landed squarely on a fresh cut 20" diameter tree stump.
    I picked up the bike and looked to see not only the dented tank...but the whole rh side of the cylinder head snapped clean off.
    It looked like the break went all the way back to the combustion chamber, but when I kicked it over it fired right up. So...nothing to do but put it in gear and ride away...half expecting it to blow out at any moment.
    Which it didn't. I think I still had about 100 miles to go and the bike finished. When I got home I pulled the head and discovered the break was into the barrel-to-head seating band, with about 2mm of material left to seal.
    BTW...I still race that bike, and that alloy tank still has that dent!
    And if you're wondering where the Husky air filter is...
    In 1979 I used a Yamaha DT-1 air box connected to the carb with a Yam AT-1 MX molded hose. The air box was surrounded by a vinyl shroud, breathing from under the seat. The Cord was notorious for numerous deep water crossings (still is...) and with that set-up this bike handled them all. IMG_0001.jpg IMG.jpg
    wrx, cruisetopdown, Husky cr and 5 others like this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    wow, what a shot that stump had! cool story finishing the event. thats some hard core 125 action
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    The quality remains long after the price is forgotten. Very impressive!