Yamaha electric motorcycles to enter production in 2016

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Boogie, May 2, 2014.

1. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    It's on both sides. I was wondering the same thing.
  2. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Its interesting how power consumption and power delivery works on electric bikes. They run out of steam faster at higher speeds than they do for around town. Therefore there might be more scope for it in stop/start off road formats. Also the power delivery is a little odd on what ive seen - there are no "gears" so they have to limit power delivery otherwise they are just producing a backflip machine.
  3. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    But can you imagine a movie like "Days of thunder" being made if all the engines were electric:eek:
  4. huskydude59 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like the future is knocking on the door of change... I wonder what noise it will.make.... I want something to list in to...
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Energy density of gasoline: ~50 MJ/kg
    Energy density of lithium-ion battery: 1 MJ/kg (being generous)

Assuming fuel weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, 2 gallons is 12 pounds or ~5 kg, which is 250 MJ of energy. A battery with equivalent energy would weigh 250 kilograms (500 pounds)!!

Lots of people talk about how battery technology is going to get way better and this problem is going to disappear. I hope somebody proves me wrong, but I don't believe it. It's not just a technology problem, it's a chemistry/physics problem, and lithium is pretty much the best material for this, so we won't see leaps and bounds. Even if they double or triple the capacity of current batteries (which would be a huge leap), the weigh penalty is going to be really big.

Electric bikes will be fun for backyard trials, short trail rides, and commuting. We'll never be able to race a traditional enduro or do far-out dual sport adventure riding on them, IMO.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    There will always be advances, some will be huge. Did you see my post with air lithium bats? Very light weight / more power. Also E-bikes as not burning energy all the time (no idle or off throttle) and can regen some while braking and there are efficiencies the gas bikes cant have. We are at the infancy of this tech and already have bikes that will do 70 miles plus. Most off road bikes are good for 35-45 miles on the stock tank and most races know this have have gas stops. Its not unreasonable to see a future where you do a quick swap at a "gas stop" and continue on. modern gas engines are FAR more fuel efficient and powerful than they were 50 years ago. Things will drastically improve IMHO. Lots of effort in this tech as it is the next big thing.

Thats what they said about 4 strokes before Yamaha and Doug Henry.

Telsa cars are fast and go 300 miles. If there was an infrastructure like there is for fuel stations for E-cars we could do a 2 minute fuel cell swap and be good for another 300 miles just like we do with gas stations.
    PaulC likes this.
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Reminds me of the South Park Harley episode...:busted: