1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

XC500 with a yz front end and glamis

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Huskerdoo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Huskerdoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey everyone, just thought I share a little experience with my 84 xc500. I couldn't seem to get my front dls setup to provide anything that could be called stopping power. When contemplating springing for some new EBC brake pads, I ran across a complete front end assembly from an 87/88 YZ250 for crazy cheap. The triple clamp stem from the YZ was thicker, but unfortunately was an odd size so I couldn't do a bearing swap. A 30mm thick stem like on some modern bikes would have been a simple bearing swap, but this was in-between that and the stock thickness (~1"). Looking at the two sets of clamps I thought I would try to stay with the yz clamps. The husky clamps would have taken away slightly more travel and possibly drop the front end down. I had some shims made and used a husky stem with the yz clamps. This was back in January. I took the big husky on a trip to glamis later in that month. Found out the hard way that the increase in fork offset from the yz clamps coupled with the soft white rear springs made the bike handle pretty bad. I have since gone to a heavier rate spring in the rear. The suspension on both ends is now pretty sweet, and I love having a disc in the front, but the bike is still pretty twitchy. With the old front end, the bike was a freight train. I have some spare Husky triples, I think the next step will be to hog those out to fit the 43mm forks and see what that does. Anyhow, here's some pics, I think the white YZ fender looks pretty good on the husky as well, btw. husky yz forks.jpg glamis dunes.jpg
    highdez1981430cr, Tinken and fredd like this.
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have a set that someone had bored the Husqvarna triple out to accept the 43mm forks. The triple does not seem to have too thin of a margin about the outside of the clamp and the stance between seems to match the KX gull wing clamp holding yamaha 43mm forks one one of my projects
  3. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    I normally use a Marzocchi 42 mm on Husky triple clams and I had never any kind of problems. And there is enough material to go on up to 43 mm for sure. I am looking for a Yamaha 43 mm forks to do same experience but I would like the drum double brake.
    IMHO of course.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I was b%tchin about my dls on the wr 400 and I rode it at an event recently and the front axle nut came loose.

this resulted in the brakes improving:confused:

I tightened everything for a natural terrain MX and found I can lock the front wheel up now?

obviously the brakes were not lined up even though I was doing the back spin and lock before tightening everything up. but I now have acceptable front brakes Weird....