1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

XC500 Front brake light switch question

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by White Husky, Oct 22, 2011.

1. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello All

I have an '83 XC500 that is road registered here in the UK. For our annual MOT test the bike is supposed to have a rear brake light that is operated by either the rear pedal or the front lever.

The brakes are drum, so I can't use a simple hydraulic switch. My front lever has no brake contacts on it. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Does the perch off a WR have a brake switch on it that I could fit for example? Or has anyone retro fitted some other lever?

Also - does anyone know if a chain guard from a WR will fit the swing arm on the XC?

Many thanks
    Lucien
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    There are plenty of mechanical switches that are pulled via a spring to adapt to the rear brake pedal. At least there were and some economy four stroke dual purpose (that yamaha one with the baloon tires comes to mind) ones with still drum rear. You have an in line hydraulic opiton up front if you can find one that threads on.
    I like to run an Irc M5b 140/80-18 rear tire on these vintage big bikes and there isn't enough room for the chain guard if you run that tire. If I recall correctly I had to remove the chain guard when I mounted the largest Pirelli mt21 dot tire on my 88 te 510. Perhaps someone else can actually answer the question you posed.

fran
  3. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Fran, thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer in my post. My bike has the rear brake brake light switch. What I'm looking for is a set up that makes the front drum brake activate the brake light. I was wondering whether the perches off a drum braked WR have a brake light switch on them.

Kind regards
    Lucien
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    As for the United States and motorcycle brake light switches. 1968 rear only 1975 front and rear. At least from what I have had registered in the past. I am not sure where in there the rules changed and also don't know when the last Husqvarna which wasn't labeled off highway use was imported. I thought either meant one or the other and obviously was dreaming about the hydraulic business. The parts sheet can be hard to find the perch on but all the 1983 models seem to share the same part number for the complete brake lever assembly the way I read it.

151532301 BRAKE HANDLE COMPL
  5. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Fran, yes that was my reading too after studying the parts sheets.

I guess stock '83 drum brake bikes didn't have a switch on the front brake for the brake light.

Has anyone found a good alternative set-up that fits?

Kind regards
    Lucien
  6. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking to resurrect this old thread. I just disassembled my 1983 WR125 and found a brake light switch in the front brake lever perch for the DLS front drum brake. It looks easy enough to retrofit an existing perch if you have a drill press and a thread tap. Not sure where you would find this switch though. I don't know if this was a factory option. Interestingly, the frame did also come with a keyed steering head lock on the frame neck.

Attached Files:

7. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    Use a..cough cough, Japanese perch?
  8. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    All the later WR's here in Aus have a switch in the brake perch.
    Auzzy huskys were the euro models [ normally]
  9. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  10. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello, thanks for all the responses. Just to reiterate, it's the brake switch on the front brake that I'm looking for.

The consensus seems to be to use a brake switch tapped into the front perch like the Jap bikes or later Huskies use, ie not a hydraulic switch.

I'll keep my eyes on eBay for something suitable.

Kind regards
    Lucien
  11. Svenskbike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 TE's , 430 WR , 500 XC
    Lucien,
    this brake switch fits perfect into a original Husky or Magura front perch!
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/190459153462?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    The chain guard from the WR would also fit on a XC swingarm.No Problems with mounting holes
    measures.

Regards Kay
  12. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice find, Svenskbike! That looks exactly like the switch in my front brake lever perch. Thanks for posting.
  13. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kay, thanks for posting that useful info.

Presumably the perch will need a hole drilling and a tapped thread to take the switch?

Thanks also for the info on the chain guard. That's great to know.

Kind regards
    Lucien.
  14. Svenskbike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 TE's , 430 WR , 500 XC
    Lucien,SORRY for my Info about the chain guard,it was an mistake of me!
    The WR chain guard will not fit on a XC swingarm,because the XC swingarm has no front
    mounting hole lasch on the connection tube!!See pic.
    Front brake lever perch need a hole drilling but original Husky or MAGURA perch have it.
    I use that switch at my 510 into a Magura perch,fits perfect.

Regards Kay H2.jpg
  15. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kay, thanks for that info.

I have always loved that brochure picture of the WR in the stream, ever since I had my '74 CR250 Husky (in about 1980) and I used to dream of owning a white one. One day I will recreate the photo!

I feel stupid now, because having gone and had a good look at my Magura front brake perch I can see that it's already drilled and tapped for that switch. D'Oh!

When I re wired my bike I did full wiring for the indicators, which I've decided now not to use, but also for the fromt brake switch so it should be just a case of fitting that switch and running a couple of short wires to the blade connectors that I left ready behind the headlight.

I will buy one of those switches and see what happens. Will post photos.

Kind regards
    Lucien.
  16. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good news; the front brake switch arrived and fits perfectly. Screws right in to my Magura levers. Operates fine. Bad news; I remembered wrong about having left the connectors for the brake light. Will have to run some more wires. I'll probably wait now until I rewire for conversion to DC and battery.

Kind regards
    Lucien