1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 vs 300xc

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Wellsy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Wellsy Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey,
    I've got a decision to make and I need some help. I've sold my te450 because I'm a two stroke guy and I couldn't get use to the thing. I need help because I can't decide between these two bikes. Help me make the decision by giving me the positives and negatives of the bikes.
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I know we had some discussions about this over the weekend. So if you get the KTM, it'll be more likely that I'll be the only guy at your riding areas with a Husky. :lol:
    Even on the 610, people ask me, "So when did Husky start making bikes again?"

On paper, the KTM is probably a better bike. Since I don't know anyone with a 300 XC/XC-W, I almost considered using some airmiles to attend a KTM demo day at some event in Ohio last month, but ended up not going since I could have faced a variety of obvious obstacles in not getting to demo what I wanted. Hell, I didn't get to ride the WR either.

So are you looking at the '09 or '10 WR?
  3. Wellsy Husqvarna
    B Class

I just took a trip over by Wayne's shop to stare through the window and see if he had an 09, and he did. I thought I had a decision made until I spoke with my friend yesterday. He rides a wr250 and got me thinking about the wr again. I rode his bike a couple of weeks ago and the thing ripped. Whatever I decide on, we'll have to hook up and ride! We have about four of us that get together and ride, you could be the fifth!:thumbsup:
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Welll from my reading up on both I will be getting the Husky. I allready have two Husky's and they just work better with me. I have the 09 TXC510 and the 08 Cr125 and can feel great riding either one. My son has two KTM's a 08 SX 450 and a 08 SX 505. I just don't feel confortable on my son's KTM's. The weight balance front to rear or something is off for me. They're not the 300 of course that you are looking at but I think you should at least get a quick ride on one to see if it fits you. On the positive the KTM 300 have E-start, the negitive the e-start fails; or at least that's what I read. I always wanted a KTM until I rode one, now not so much. My next bike will be the 09 or 10 Husky WR 300. I also read and I hope he chimes in that "a Husky WR300 will suck the orange off the KTM 300!" Good luck I am sure either bike will be awsome.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My first "dream" trail bike was the KDX220, then after I got it, I wondered how the the KTM300EXC would be....and that became my next "dream" bike, except that the dealer talked me into a 250 instead.:doh: So I had that one for a while. Was nice, but sort of nickled and dimed me to death. That's why when the time came to get a street legal enduro, I chose a Husqvarna instead of a pumpkin. I sold the EXC not too long ago and still have the KDX. If I were to get another two stroke trail bike, I would be very interested in a Husky. I need to find somebody with one in my area and beg for a ride on it. Easier said than done. I see some four stroke models around, but rarely have I seen a two stroke one.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    This is a great article and pretty accurately sums up my own opinons as a WR300 owner who has ridden multiple 300XC's and an '07 Gas Gas.

Dirt Bike 300 Shootout

My only disagreement with the article is DB's praise for the KTM E-start. All you need to do is go to KTM Talk, or Thumper Talk and do a search on the 300's E-start. It's a JOKE. It pretty much self-destructs if you actually use it. The steadfast Pumpkin Kool-Aid drinkers are in such a state of denial about the obvious bad engineering that they're referring to it as a "re-starter" (meaning... only use it when you absolutely have to and it will last longer).... :lol::lol::lol:

Two of my friends with KTM 300's ('08's) have removed the E-starters from their bikes because they were so pathetic.
  7. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The only advantage I see the KTM 300 having over the Husky is being a little lighter and a slightly shorter seat height, the e-start is a joke. Arguing about which suspension is better out of the two bikes is kind of useless, some guys love the WP stuff and some hate it. The same goes for the Husky suspension, I personally like mine just fine in stock form, other guys hate the stuff. Husky has plenty of aftermarket support now too. You already know what my vote is, get the WR, don't go to the dark side man. Between this site and Thumpertalk I'm sure someone will be able to get you some solid jetting info to atleast get you real close. Brad.
  8. Wellsy Husqvarna
    B Class

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! Makes the decision a lot easier.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I rode my 09 WR125 back to back with a 09 KTM300 this weekend. I would not trade. Like john01 said they feel weird, turn weird and the suspension is not up to linked type IMHO. I know KTM's are great bikes and a lot of my friends love them they just do nothing for me. Every time i ride one I'm puzzled why i do not love it. Maybe you will love it. I personally would get the WR (shocker huh) but you might love the KTM. The WR is going to be a lot less $$$.

- For the record I ride with many guys with E-start 2 stroke KTM's and they use them all the time. Only one of my friends has managed to destroy it. I think it happens but I don't think it is a huge issue.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I was perusing the 2st section of TT, it may be possible to pick up something used for not too much $ (not sure).

I also did a search for "estart" and did not see a huge amount of posting regarding the estart going out. But it does not seem possible to search for "e-start", and many seem to type "e start". I only spent 1 minute though...
  11. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry, have to chime in on the E-Start having had one. The issue is/was a washer that has since been fixed in early release KTM 2-smokes, AND KTM used a crappy white lith. grease that chunked up. Replacing the grease corrected said issue. Hundreds of starts, stock starter and battery. Little maintenance goes a long way. Anyone who hasn't had the luxuory of the e-start on a nasty off-camber, can't touch the ground to restart your bike type situation, hasn't lived! It's nice... I hope Husky get's on the band wagon cause the next additon to my garage will be to add a 300 2-smoke, preferrably Red/Black, and with any luck EFI & the magic button!
  12. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    Yeah, I heard that the e-start issues had been sorted in later models. So now the question to the OP is did he go orange or [non-Honda] red?
  13. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was going to let Wellsy post up on his decision, but I don't know that we'll being seeing him on this site anymore. He sadly went to the dark side. If I had found as good of a deal as he got when I was looking I probably would have gotten a 300XC over the WR too. Now I'm the only Husky rider in our group, it's too bad I'm one of the slower riders or I'd have more sh!t to talk to the all my buddies who ride orange. Brad.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well thats ok I am sure he will be happy with it. I am the only Husky rider in my group of friends also but......I can whip all of them but my son on his pumpkin. I have taken him a few times in some drag races LOL. Now Brad start training and commence to whipping up on some of them.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Considering that KTM over produced their entire line in 09, I would think that there are going to be some very attractive deals on the pumpkins. They have reduced their output for 2010 so that if anything this will be a very short lived price reduction.

Walt
  16. Wellsy Husqvarna
    B Class

Yep, I did go orange because of some factors, but I got a smoking deal on it. One of my buddies is an awesome suspension tuner and he rides a 300xc, so he told me if I get one we'll go through it together and make sure it's set up right. Brad, there is another guy on here who rides a wr300 that I've been talking with and I think he wants to ride with us, so as Darth said -"There is another." He rides a wr300 so we'll have to bring him on some of these awesome trails. For the record, I love all bikes, even mopeds if I have a full face helmet on!:busted:
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=324580&hl=starter

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=355416&hl=starter

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=355355&hl=starter

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=354712&hl=starter

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=352909&hl=starter

There's TONS more, but I think this makes the point.
  18. Wellsy Husqvarna
    B Class

Yes, there are definitely some issues with the estart. That was one of the first questions that I asked my buddy about. He said that the problem can be completely solved by using gasket sealer around the seals and putting gear oil in there to keep the parts moving freely. He also said that it was a bigger issue on the first models with estart. Maybe I can be the cafe husky guinea pig on the issue and let you guys know what's up with it.
  19. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Coming off of a 4stk and onto a 2stk has really slowed me down, it's been a difficult transition for me. I've also had limited seat time over the past year and a half, so that hasn't helped. Hopefully by next season I'll be back to where I was on the CRF and I'll be able to dust a few orange bikes. Brad.
  20. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Chris - I'm sure you'll love that 300, I wouldn't let the e-start stop me from buying one, you can yank it off and still have a sweet bike. You really can't go wrong with any of the bike made now now adays. Brad.