1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 Intake Manifold replacement ?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Hurky, May 18, 2016.

1. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Hi, I'm using the Honda boot for a few month without issues, I am having a look at the boot regularly and by now I see no growing cracks or something. During the installation I heated the airbox boot with a hair dryer to soften the material a bit (I did this in winter), that removed some of the tension going to the carb and intake boot. So far so good. I think the trick is to get a good / new as possible boot from Honda. They are discontinued so you will probably not find a new one. Mine was from 99 but you can use up to 2001, after that they changed the shape of the bolt pattern.

Cheers.
    Borntoride71, gaz and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250

Thanks! I just got a used 2011 WR 250 and noticed that the previous owner had used RTV to seal some cracks. And there was another crack that I also had to seal.
  3. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    Just ordered one through AOMC. It was $32 shipped:

https://bit.ly/2O14cOr (part #24)

They said they can source one and get it shipped in just a couple of days. Hoping that is true! I'll keep you posted.
  4. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    That is the OEM boot, in my case they hold up for some time, not more than 2 years :/
  5. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    Gotcha. This is a new (to me...) bike so if I get a couple of years out of it I'll be happy. Check back with me in two years and see if that's true :-p I guess that I am getting more grouchy as I get older!
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I've had them last for just a few months on the 300. Seems to be a non issue on the 165. I have an OEM on the 300 now for @ 6 months and still looks good. Previous one started to crack so I wrapped it with rubber tape (self-amalgamating electricians tape) and that worked, but looked a little ratty.
    :cheers:
  7. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    My OEM manifold replacement arrived and boy, is that material think and rigid! I have not pulled the old one off the bike yet. I am hoping the cracks that I noticed (and sealed from the outside) did not extend through to the inside of the manifold.

I will post pics of the pieces when I swap them out.
  8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    They're thick AF. Be surprised if they're anything other than superficial. Mine's been cracked for years!
  9. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Well, the Honda CR boot is getting worse over time, I'm watching it closely, it will probably still be OK for some time but I may need to think of an substitute, maybe I'll try to adapt a GasGas boot. These are solid aluminum and would not crack anymore... (I could not just get an OEM boot anymore with the VForce4 reed case)

[IMG]

Cheers.
    NCSteve likes this.
  10. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Well that didn't last long, but I guess that boot was years old when you installed it.

Why the vforce4 reeds? Any noticable improvements?

My current OEM boot (from Bill's) was installed almost 8 months ago and still looks good. I have a older/shorter boot to try and also have an older, longer Lectron 36mm.
    The 300 is running sweet though, so not touching any of that until necessary :cheers:
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    What were the oem boots worth over there Steve?
  12. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    The reed came from a 99 CR250 (used), it already did have some cracks at this zone when I installed them, but they did grow a little bit.
    The problem with the Honda boot is that the angle is narrower and incorrect so that it applies more force inwards, stressing the cracked area even more.

As far as why I tried the VF4 ... I grabbed them for 99€ NEW on a discount. They are for GasGas and I needed to install a GasGas spacer in order to fit them. And the Intake 'hole' is center offset as opposed to the OEM VF3 on the Huskys, so a different boot is needed.

Cheers.
    NCSteve likes this.
  13. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I'd have to look mate, but pretty sure under $30 each plus shipping from Bill's. It's been awhile, so not sure what the going price is though :cheers:
    shawbagga likes this.
  14. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    I got around to swapping in my new OEM intake manifold and found the old, cracked one still had a TON of material left beneath the crack. Given how stiff this plastic is, I can't imagine the crack extending deep enough to cause any problems.
    shawbagga likes this.
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Huh :)
  16. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    They’re like wrinkles, add character. But harmless, hopefully.
    wait4me likes this.
  17. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    I had an air leak before because of this, but on the OEM boots the problems are not the superficial little cracks you see but the upper section just below the upper central bolt, that part did always get loose and having a direct passage leaking unfiltered air, I did fix that several times with silicon gasket maker but it's only a temporary fix:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/wr300-intake-manifold-replacement.84005/page-3#post-634409

On the Honda CR250 boot this may not be an issue, I'll leave it as for now, but once I notice any change in carburation (lean running) I'll need to actuate.

Cheers !