1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250, Wanting Advice On Getting Legal And Doing Maintenance.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Brent88, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Brent88 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600RR
    Hey everyone I am new to this forum. This is my first dirtbike but not my first motorbike. I am from Victoria, Australia and am looking at getting it recreational registered (for riding in forests on trails etc) or maybe even fully registered to go on the road so I've started this thread to ask some questions that will help me get the bike to where I want it to be:)
    Here's some pictures to start with.

Attached Files:

2. Brent88 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600RR
    First off, I get that the whole bike is AC which confuses me with the testing. I know the wires are a mess but can anyone tell me if I where to get indicators for the front which wires are which? I've already wired up a brake light but still need a horn also. Pretty sure I know which 2 wires are used as when I plugged my DC horn in it vibrated but didn't make any noise, Guess I need an AC horn?

I am unsure if it is hitting band, this is all new to me and it does not feel as powerful as I expected. I replaced the spark plug as soon as I got it and it made a huge difference but yeah still have a feeling that it is 80% power. It surges a bit when not on the throttle which I read can be caused by it running too rich. I know the jetting has been fuc*ed with. Here is a video that may help some people here in the know determine if it has all it's power.
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_35HpXksU

Attached Files:

3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Welcome Brent.
    You lucky bugger have some beautiful riding area near you.

Wiring for indicators.... not sure on your colours but the husky I got is black and yellow for indicator neg and light blue and green for left n right. That was what I noticed the wires were before cutting them out of my loom.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Neighbours must love u Brent?!!

I've got a heap of road goin gear(indicators/horn/chain guards/mirrors etc) in a box from my bikes if you're goin full rego let me know I'll send ya photo of wat I got
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    What year is it mate? Judging from the RSU forks and plastics is circa 1996 or 1997?
    Looking at pics, you might be missing a voltage regulator which is needed to power up the lights, the horn is respective of AC or DC, those bastards just needs power from the stator.
    I have a wiring diagram which is pretty common for majority of that era husqvarna, some differences but fairly similar:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gFSeW1F5xIZXpnYjlGSWtWQk0/view?usp=sharing
    If in doubt (dunno where ya from in Melb), but take to a bike shop or auto elect and they can have the whole system working for you so that all you need to do is to plug things off and on when you go for a ride in the bush...reading wiring diagrams can induce heart failure:p

As for rec reg, need 1 RHS mirror, front and back lights, brake light and number plate light (you can fit those aftermarket LED units), no need for indicators unless you want full road reg. As far as Vicroads inspection, they are slack and you could leave the bike on the trailer and they'll just look over the VIN and engine number. However, our mates VicPol can make life hard for you when they stop you in the bush about your lights not working but majority of the time they are fairly cool with it so long as the you and the bike are regoed.
    Full road reg, same as your CBR600, chain guard, two mirrors, indicators as well as the a proper RWC from a shop...not hard to do just cost you $500 in rego compared to $78 in rec reg yearly?

For what its worth, you can do the dodgy that MX bikes do, is to fit a small battery and switch which allows to system to work, l say it's dodgy because for either registration, the whole system cannot be a total loss system meaning the lights are reliant on a battery source rather than powered by the operation of the vehicle. Anyway, lights are great in the bush to avoid head on's and the horn great to tell ya mates where you are:thumbsup:

I think the carb on that bike is a Mikuni, do search in the 2T area as there are plenty of guys with Mikuni setup's on this forum and the common theme is to first check the float height.

Congrats on the bike BTW:applause:
    Brent88 likes this.
  6. Brent88 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600RR
    First off thank you all for your replies especially ''Ohmygewd'' for his super elaborate reply. I think it is a 1996. I was worried about how the numbers were stamped in but I know now that it is just the plate and the numbers are on the frame.
    [IMG]

Thanks for the link, I did look over it before but thought it wasn't in english but it seems some of it is.

Not sure that I am missing a volt regulator as the headlight works though only on one setting which seems kinda dull but both filaments appear to light up. I will have to take a photo of where the switches are and how the light looks. Think vicroads will even pick on the fact that I only have highs or lows? I will distract the inspector or something. Do they make you switch from low to high generally and check things properly?

I am in Bendigo (1.5 hours north of Melbourne) Bike was only $900 and am aiming to just have it where i want it as cheap as possible so I don't stress about riding it hard and dropping it. I understand DC though but don't wanna get a whole wiring kit. Could you link me to the type of numberplate light you think would be good? I read that it can't be powered by anything but the bike though? Surely they won't care as long as it works and you're trying to do the right thing?

The guy I bought it off set the float height and while I think he knows what he is doing to his own admission the bike was using a tractor plug in it when i got it lol, needless to say I got a proper one for it, it was $20 but can't remember what one it was.

I will have to search that thread, Do you think it sounds like it has around the power it should going by the video?

Thanks, I am hoping the scarcity of parts for this bike does not cause me too many problems.
  7. Brent88 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600RR
    Also how should I go about getting a horn working on it? I have a 12Vdc horn and was told by the motorbike wrecker I can put a diode on it which will make it work with ac but then he said i need a 6v DC horn if i want to do that. He seemed a bit dodgy as he claimed to have no AC horns. Good solution?