WR125 DR Tested

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by robertaccio, Feb 23, 2010.

1. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    If I wasn't clear my bike runs great now. I was just making the point that if you would have asked me to review the bike the day after I put my updated powervalves in (or the month after) my review would have been virtually identical to the dirt rider review, and a consumer reports test would have looked much worse.

In my opinion they quite fairly said "if someone can figure out the powervalves, it'll be great" or something to that effect, which luckily is being worked on my Walt with some others doing the testing.

Nuttin personal man, just the fact that Walt and others wouldn't be wasting their time playing around with powervalve springs if the bikes all ran as well as you seem to think they do. It's not just that these other owners are all idiots, or just bored and would rather spend their days swapping carbs, jets, and powervalve springs, some of these bikes really do have a bog. On the upside they are all seeming to get to a good place sooner or later but DR never said that the bikes couldn't be made to run right, only that you may need to work on it a bit to figure out how to get rid of the bog. There are many threads in the two stroke sections to back up that assertion.

Maybe we can talk Karel into retesting a perfectly running bike, just don't anyone let him read the past few months threads in the two stroke forum or he'll go and report that many owners are struggling to get rid of the hole in the middle of their powerband. I have no doubt your bike rips, mine does now and Kelly's always has since the updated powervalves, but you should have no doubt that many of them still aren't running as well as yours and mine now are.

The updated powervalves didn't fix everything for everyone.

As for the gas tanks, if you don't feel the Husky is on the extreme small end of the range then just name as many woods bikes with stock gas tanks smaller than 1.8 gallons as you can and I'll name three times as many with larger stock tanks. My point was not that different riders don't like different sized tanks, only that in my experience the stock tank is too small, and on the extreme small end of what is normally offered by manufacturers. Luckily instead of defending the 1.8 gallon mistake Husky has seen fit to upgrade to a larger 2.25 gallon tank, a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned, 1.8 gallons is a track sized gas tank and was disappointing in a bike sold with a headlight, kickstand, and 18" rear wheel.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    ok i agree with most of that. but i checked my tsb's and the only driveability issues i could find was the bad batch of PV unless im missing something. i addressed wally's genius in another topic...gotta say brilliant stuff. :notworthy: but bikes dont bog for nothing and they dont fix themselves. w/o an understanding of jetting principals it can be a wild goose chase.

the 1.8 tank from what i gathered is a hold over from the euro markets ...these bikes still aint got a market share here yet and we are getting what they send. husky's working on it as SH pointed out so they hopefuly will be more americanized the next go round with big tanks for big people/big terrain.

id also lke to say that husky, for the tiny, tiny market share they have just blows the other makes away in service. every dealer, every rep, everyone associated with the mere handful of bikes they sell has gone 10 extra miles to make anylittle thing right. unreal service and support from such a small network.
  3. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    just sent jimmy lewis an invite to test my bike. braaap!
  4. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Husky, for the tiny, tiny market share they have just blows the other makes away in handling and ergonomics. Not sure how they do it, but I like it :thumbsup:
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Which was very evident riding a 08 KTM300 back to back with the group of huskys we had last week. The KTM was OK but the huskys felt and handled a good deal better. :thumbsup: The 08 and up frames and ergos are spot on for me.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks Scott !!!
  7. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm a 2009 wr125 owner and as far as the engine is concerned, my opinion is, its behind others in power and torque. Even with the 144EG kit in it it still does not pull like a stock kx125.

Handling is the best, just wish I had either a ktm 200 or kx125 engine in it.

Trading for the new 250f. tested one and love the power. Handles almost like the wr125 with more power.
  8. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You want your WR to out run a kx or ktm and still run well and handle better Remember the WR is marketed as a off road bike and you want it to run like a motorcross bike so do the following as i have tested both and you will not beleive the difference
    Remember it is a 125 so you have to get the motor working
    Wr flywheel is BIG and Heavy works well as intended but the stock cr
    is so much lighter and will let the motor spin up
    change from a 18 inch wheel to a 19 the 19 is so much lighter i have raced the Nationals hare and hounds for 3 years now on a cr 125 no flats
    Take the heavy o ring chain off and replace it with a regular non oring chain it is a 125 so a non oring will last a long time
    Think about all the things that poor little 125 has to turn and pull before the power gets to the rear wheel
    I finally got to ride a new WR 125 and it is a very good bike but for me the CR just works better for what i do that is racing .If all i wanted to do was trail ride or do super tight enduros then maybe a WR But i find the CR wil go any where i point it with no problem and the motor has that much less weight conected to the crank to spin when i turn the throdle
    PS i have and both of my sons have many times out powered the
    other makes of 125 Plus a CR will beat a 200 in a drag race the 200 has more power in the deep sand or hills but from corner to corner the cr125 will pull it and the 200 is 75 cc bigger
    Just about any year CR electronics and fywheel from many years back will bolt onto a 2010 WR and it only takes a few min to change
    You are asking to beat the other brands of motorcross bikes well then make your bike more like them then you will see
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    IMHO (as a non WR125 owner, we do own an RM125) the answer is WR ignition/flywheel even with the 144 kit. technically i don't think the little Italian 125 makes any less in HP than any of the Made in Japan motors or the Austrian 125 (those mentioned are the MX versions)
    I think with the WR ignition the spool up and "hit" is tempered by flywheel weight and ignition map/curve. Plus in addition considering any updates in the PV along with well set up carburation/fuel oil mix. Again just my opinion.
    A CR (MX designed) ignition would most likely change the whole character of the bike. And with the new FIM JR (125cc 2T) EU championship, I think that we will see more of the MX style 125cc stuff again (I hope we do!!).
    Good luck with the 250F shopping those things rock! How much you want for the 144?? Just kidding.enjoy the ride, R
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    John you beat me to the thread
  11. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Maybe it can be made to run like the mx version. But I have already put to much in to it.

I should of just kept it stock. It ran good for tight and nasty situations as is. I have also become a 4t guy since then. But this time I'm getting the TC250 even if I ride off road. No more tame version ;)
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    good choice have not ridden the TC250 but have goofed off on 2 different TXC250s they have a really good feel and chassis set up, the harder you ride it the better it works
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Gestion,

When EG grinds the power valves to get clearance with the big bore, he only grinds the piston side. He does not re-grind the bottom side and because of the design of the valves eliminating 2mm off the piston side of the valve also drops the port height by 2mm. So you now have an even more conservative low end to when it was stock. I reground my pv's to raise this back to stock and it made a huge difference in how the bike runs on the bottom to mid. The width of the power valve at that point allows you to raise the bottom another mm or 2 and still leave a good sealing surface. Just an FYI.

I also agree that eliminating all that flywheel weight will help you a great deal. As well as a more agressive timing curve.

Good luck on the TC250 F, I am sure you are going to love it,

Walt

PS, Which dealer are you trading it too?
  14. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

We have a ''new', local dealer JP powersports. In fact I have been doing deals with him some time now. Scott has been great too.

I've been told by JP I'm making a mistake this afternoon...not sure what to do. Just so disappointed with the Alligator incident and then riding a friends old kx125 that seems to haul a lot more then my high dollar WR setup. Maybe the flywheel is the next mod to try out.

My 08' TC450 would make more sense to trade in, since the 125 is almost new.

I will have to sleep on it. :confused:
  15. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would put a CR ignition in it if I was you.

We just put an EG144 kit in a buddies 08 CR125 and it is seriously FAST. He weighs 200lbs and it carries him around just fine. You were too lean on the main jet causing it to barf. 6th gear wide open is looking for trouble, plain and simple.

The spooge you talked about has nothing to do with the main. That is all needle and pilot jet.

Those EG 144s like a splash of race gas in them as well, but I think you were already running 50/50.
  16. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

FYI it pulled great just before seizing Scott, almost like a kx :lol:

Yeah... I know, all my fault. First check was not even tight. But I felt great and wanted to go for broke. Enduros always have that flat out road section tempting you to pin it.

Main was a 460, 50-50 c12 @32:1 , temp was about 2-3 degrees when it went out. Probably needed a 480.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know of one EG144 that the exhaust bridge was not done right and the ports not chamfered. Lasted 200 miles. Was sent to up-tite to get fixed and is much better / done right. I would think EG would be the place to do it as they have done a lot but was surprised to see it was not done correct. Probably not the norm but make sure you check these things before slapping it back together.
  18. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

What was the set up on that eg 144??
    I had my 08 cr125 set up for pump gas and more bottom and mid. Still haven't been able to ride it yet ....

It would still be a 125 if it weren't 6th gear pinned!!
  19. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

If i keep the 144 it has to be able to run pined in 6th. I'll put a 2'' main jet if needed :doh:
  20. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This is a old storie most have heard before but here goes I have a 2006 CR 125
    and a 2008 CR 125 bone stock with stock as delivered jets and all carb settings
    I run 32 to 1 motorex with race gas I race desert and AMA Hare and Hounds most races are 100 miles in 4 years both bikes have won many races and are always pinned .
    Some times for us to 5 miles across a valley crossing pinned as fast as it will go .
    Some times i do not even lift i just hit the kill switch so as to keep it lubed
    The 2006 bike has won 2 different AMA #1 titles and is still racing
    The 2008 has won 1 AMA # 1 title

I think race gas is the key to long race life There was a test once that i read where when you take 91 octane gas and add oil around 32 to 1 it goes down to mid 80
    Give your little 125/144 another chance there must be some problem
    PS Ty Davis had the 2010 WR 125 pinned at both the National and Adelando Gran Prix for 2 hours pinned and it still is going strong He did add race gas at 32 to 1