1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

WR Silencer

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by luvwoods, Feb 10, 2009.

1. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone have tips on repacking an '84 WR silencer? I pulled mine apart to find the packing material tightly wrapped around the steel baffle, the tube with all the holes in it. The baffle seems to be welded in place so I used a hook made from wire to pull all the packing out. Yikes, the stuff looked like horse hair, but is probably fiberglass strands, so I'm guessing it's pretty old. I bought a package of FMF 2 stroke repacking before I opened my silencer but now I'm wondering what is the best way to get this in since the baffle doesn't come out. Seems like poking it in around the baffle little-by-little with a wood dowel might work. Was wondering if someone has a better method? Many thanks.
  2. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

Look at the FmF 4stroke packing it is longer strands of fiber glass material, it looks like you could pack it a little easier. Let me know what you find out my 83 is due for a repack..
  3. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Follow-up: I removed the old packing from my silencer, scrapped layers of caked-on gunk of the internal walls and rinsed it out with the wonder solvent......gasoline......which really worked well to break down the gunk. Once all was dryed out, I repacked the silencer with FMF #12-002 2 Stroke Packing. One bag at a local dealer was about $12 and it will do two repackings. The instructions on the FMF bag say "do not pack it tightly" so the sheet of packing material needs to be cut in half lengthwise and trimmed slightly in width to match the baffle length. Then, just roll it like you're trying to make a tube with it, insert the end into the silencer and get a wood ruler or paint stirring stick and push the packing in little-by-little. Since my silencer inside was fairly clean and dry, the packing slid right in. The whole process (minus cleaning) took about 10 minutes. There is a slight noticeable drop in exhaust noise level at the silencer, but the engine is so loud that it pretty much cancels out any exhaust noise drop. Good luck with yours.
  4. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the update :thumbsup::applause: