1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR 250 clutch not working when hot

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dascr32, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dascr32 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forums so I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

So let's begin, I recently bought an excellent condition 2011 WR 250, all stock parts (even the speedo is working :thumbsup:), minor scratches here and there and barely used overall a beautiful bike for her age. The previous owner told me that the bike has sat for over 4 months, so I knew there will be some problems.

At first we noticed that the clutch was not working properly, when in gear with clutch in the bike stalled almost instantly, constant throttle blips to keep it running. But since the bike was not used in such a long time we didn't mind the problem.

So a mayor service was done (carb, brakes, suspension, fluids, etc). We find out that the water pump seals were bad so the bike sat for 4 months with gearbox oil full of coolant. Probably the reason of why the clutch was not working. Ordered some parts from Halls and the leak was repaired, no coolant in the oil.

However the clutch still was not working, so we replace the clutch cable. Nice smooth and light clutch with the new cable but same problem. So the next thing to do was to pull the clutch out, fearing that the basket was grooved (not quite posible since the bike has no signs of hard use but
    who knows) obviously the clutch was in excellent condition, almost brand new (nice).

We adjusted the clutch rod to have more adjustment in the lever. Now the clutch work as it should, I can stand in gear with clutch in for a long time without throttle blips, but only when the bike is cold. As the bike starts to warm up and the clutch gets hot the old problem comes back. Also neutral is hard to find, I have to rev it a little to get in neutral.

This is my first enduro bike and I'm learning to ride this kind of bikes and terrain, so it's pretty annoying in tight stuff and turns everything much difficult. I have a love/hate relationship with my husky because of this, the bike is awesome and in excellent condition and I don't want to get rid of it. Any help would be awesome and thanks for your time. :D (Note: I'm using bell-ray gearsaver 80w and sorry if my english is not that good)
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Fibre plates ok?
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Motion Pro Terminator clutch cable will help some with that problem.
  4. dascr32 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, they are almost brand new.

I put a brand new OEM clutch cable, do you think the motion pro will be better?
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    I think it's the oil weight. Double check what is to be used in your manual.
    Roadrash likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The Terminator's housing won't collapse under pressure (becoming shorter and lessening the effectiveness of the lever travel)when you pull in the clutch, so more energy will go directly to the travel of the lower lever sticking out of the case. You will get a more complete disengagement.
    dascr32 likes this.