1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

WP Extreme 50 MM fork swap

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by can, Mar 8, 2012.

1. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

From a 1999 Husaberg. To a 1984 XC500 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

1.Pressed husqvarna stem in husaberg lower clamp (Husqvarna is 1/2" longer)
    2.Shimmed Husqvarna axle (Husaberg is slightly larger diameter)
    3.Made steel clamp to hold front brake stay
    adam6402 likes this.
  2. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

pressed stem into lower clamp...! not a 5 minute job.... and not one we see on this or any other mx vintage forum very often...would like to know how you did it with some pics. I can't see you bending those forks.... strange but i never bent my 78 390cr forks but did manage to bend my 84 500cr 40mm forks ... guess i got goina bit quicker!
  3. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update
    I had to redo the mount for the brake stay. The first version would slip down the fork and also was bending with use.
    This version seems to work great so far.

Regarding the stem, I had it done by a shop for $60.00
    They removed circlip on bottom of stem, pressed the stem into husaberg clamp, then install the lower husqvarna washer along with the circlip. I also had to use a 1/16" washer on top of the upper bearing and then it all bolts up.

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I suspected your stay arm mount would have slid down with front brake applied. Leg too smooth to stop it
  5. tapio Husqvarna
    A Class

http://www.cafehusky.com/attachments/husky2-jpg.9379/

Newer forks must be the best upgrade possible on these bikes( worth losing some orginality for)

The picture( if the link worked) is my cr500-83 whit an showa from an rm250-98

That conv just involved different bearings on the suzuki tripples ( almost plug and play)
  6. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very nice!
  7. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Snap.....

Overall view.jpg Fork leg mods.jpg

On other conversions I've seem the brake bracket is a problem on newer forks... I opted to have it welded in place.

I used the KTM clamps complete as they bolt straight on. I did have a new shaft machined with some shims so the wheel bearings and forks could be left stock.

The WP Extreme can be difficult to find. They are slightly shorter than stock but that helps with the turning as it drops the front a bit.

Good to see another front end converted.

Stu
    troy deck likes this.
  8. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

STU:
    It was your fork swap that I saw a picture of and had to have a set on my bike. I drooled over the pictures of your bike and searched ebay for quite a while. I bid on 2 sets without success and finally was successful on this set. I recently entered a 3 hour hare scramble and the forks worked great.
    002.JPG

003.JPG
  9. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
    Husky 37, please tell me where did you get that 500 pipe from?
  10. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
    50mm Ohlins

[IMG]
  11. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

001.JPG

This is my other 1984 XC500. I bought it used with these 42mm marzocchi forks already on it. They have a reservoir with 56psi of air that blows off pressure when hitting a sharp bump.

As far as I know these forks only came on 1982 Can-am Sonic 500 four stroke, which I also have.

002.JPG
  12. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Husqyhamm,

Pipe came from HVA Factory and I made the Silencer myself. If you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask

Stu
  13. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm glad the forks worked well for you. It's good to hear the mods people do work for others...

By the way I hoe your foot was no where near what hit the peg!!

Stu