Would you sell your bike (TR650) back to KTM for full MSRP?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Would you sell your bike back to KTM for full MSRP?

yes 27 vote(s) 55.1%
no 13 vote(s) 26.5%
maybe 9 vote(s) 18.4%
  1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Since there is no fix, and may not ever be, would you sell your bike back as a resolution?

Since I have two bikes, one bought new, the Terra, and one used Strada, I would sell the Strada in a heartbeat for the MSRP but probably not the Terra.

If this was the ultimate remediation for the stalling issue would you sell your bike back?
  2. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I love my bike and sadly there is not really a bike available right now that would replace it, but if I was offered full original MSRP of $6999 for it, heck yea.

Now if similar to my understanding of the VW TDI saga, and they will only offer current book value ($5030 per NADA/$4915 per KBB).......that I would be very hard to decide, but I will say a strong maybe.
    Moff69 likes this.
  3. gullywasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ6, Beta 300RR
    Stalling hasn't been much of an issue for me having only experienced the problem a few times since ownership. If there were a comparable machine out there, then sure, show me the money so I can buy that one. But there really isn't a comparable bike, so I'll stick with the Terra.
    Moff69 likes this.
  4. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    ^^^ Like Gullywasher says - no other comparable bike - definitely a keeper. I would take the money if offered new retail price only because I got mine for well below - and then I'd go out and buy another!
    nev.. and Moff69 like this.
  5. Raymondwhiteley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 husqvarna tr650 strada
    Hey guys. I talked to Kevin today at KTM Husqvarna north America about my tr650 and he said that a fix is in the works. Once they figure out the legal part of it they'll be sending out letters to owners to take their bikes to their local dealers to get the ecu's re mapped. For whatever it's worth.
    johnsweet, DeLewis and Nick780 like this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    What legal part? KTM kicking the can down the road.
  7. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Hey Raymond, good to hear.

I know the red tape is massive with dealerships assuming some liability with the updates they flash...
    Any idea if they truly working on a new mapping that isn't out there yet or are they just sorting out how to get the most current mapping out to everyone?
  8. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I'd sell mine back in a heartbeat. But we know that won't happen.
  9. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    You bet! I would make money that way (who pays full retail), but that won't happen. Even if they do come with a tuning fix that works you still can't get a lot of the major parts for it.
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The MSRP on my used Strada is double what I paid. The MSRP on my Terra is less than what I have in it.

But a good starting point is MSRP. I don't know about the rest, but I had to pay other fees when I bought new.

When I bought mine, I intended to keep it for awhile. I was aware of the obsolescence issue.
  11. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    ???

I fixed that issue long ago with the PCV, it ain't that hard.

The real problem I see is there are only 2 other bikes on the market that are even close to the Husky, the KTM 690 or it's cousin the Husky 701. The Husky 701 has rear subframe issues for luggage and the 690 is vibey and F'ing too tall for me.

So... if I sold my bike back to KTM what would I replace it with???? I don't see ANYTHING I want more than what I have.

So... considering I fixed the FI mapping problem long ago my answer would be a big fat NO.

I still see this bike as very unique in the market.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Like I said...the legal aspect of being able to remap the bike and still stay within the US emissions type approval criteria.
    If the rules were not so strict, any manufacturer could bring out a bike, have it mapped super lean to get round the latest emissions regs then have the dealers remap them at point of sale so they actually run well. Obviously the US emissions criteria is the root cause of the whole stalling problem and a richer remap would be the easy fix.

It is also one of the main reasons that BMW/Husqvarna decided not to sell the Nuda in the USA as it would have to be tamed down so much it would never be the Super Moto that it really is. Ask me how I know :-)

As an answer to the poll, I am a maybe. Purely because I have got a good running Strada and there is no comparable bike available to me here.
  13. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Ooh, tough one. I guess I might if I decided I didn't really need a mid-displacement 70/30 dualsport. But if I still wanted something in that niche I can't think of what would best a well sorted out Terra that doesn't stall, which I have.

Looks like that's the general but not unanimous opinion, at least here.
  14. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    If it comes to it Yes please. With 40k on the clock, I'd be silly to knock it back.

Variety is the spice of life.. So maybe a 701 next :thinking: or a semi-auto Africa Twin.
    Even in 3 years motorcycling has continued to evolve.
    mag00 likes this.
  15. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys

With what would I replace my Terra with after selling it back to KTM? I don't think there is another dual sport bike out there that is a real 50/50 like it. Got the stalling sorted out with the Afxied, the suspension is now really good with Kayabas in front and Hyperpro in back, super smooth, powerful single with great longevity. Today I did some gnarly jeep trails and then drove home via freeway cruising comfortable at 75-80 mph. What other bike comes even close to the Terra price point .
    Even after all the mods that I did, I'm well below the price for a new 690 or 701
    gullywasher likes this.
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You could get an 883 HD :eek:
  17. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    ?........yeah! Ride around on a tractor, dressed like a pirate! That's what I want!
    danketchpel, Scott Jones and tweber like this.
  18. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

I had a '09 XR1200 that ran worse than my Strada till I put a fueler on it then it ran as bad as the Strada.
  19. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I think this is an excellent question.

I don't see a good answer.

The A-Twin is interesting but heading in the wrong direction = bigger/heavier
    Nothing else from Japan Inc is even remotely interesting, been down the KLR track already, that's what the TR replaced.

Either flavor of KTM doesn't hit the mark. 701 has no real rear subframe for luggage and both are stupid tall and KTM hasn't seen fit to add the Duke's 2nd counterbalance shaft yet so it's still vibey.

I guess you could go for a BMW.........

Really what else is out there? The TR is a very unique bike at this point in time.
  20. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Yamaha is coming out with a midsize adventure bike built around the FZ-07 engine. Should be a great bike.