1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Worst shifter bolt placement ever!!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Force10, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    This is on my 2005 TC250. Riding with my buddy and my shifter came loose and I couldn't shift...luckily we were on our way back to the staging area and I was able to coast it in. (it was stuck in 4th). What a bitch it was trying to get that thing back tight! I pretty much stripped it with my trackside tools...my buddy was leaning the bike on it's side and pulling up on the shifter but clearance is almost nill.

I ordered a couple bolts and figured I would do better at my garage with all my tools available. First, I figured I would consult the manual in case there was something obvious I was missing. Here's a pic from the manual:

gearshift.jpg

Wow...that's super helpful team Husky, thanks for that. Oh, by the way...what if by some freak set of circumstances...I DON'T HAVE THE FRIGGIN MOTOR OUT OF THE BIKE WHEN I NEED TO GET TO THAT BOLT!!!

I didn't fair a whole lot better in my garage. The frame is in the way which makes getting my smallest 1/4" drive ratchet next to impossible. Even my smallest box wrench has issues because the bolt practically butts up against the shifter arm.

I think I'm done venting now. I started to round the bolt again even in my garage so I guess I'll just order a case of these and call it a day. I am grateful that the Husky is pretty damn easy to work on for most things...this just isn't one of them.
    :)
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Definitely a pia without a small metric wrench. The closed end is perfect for where this bolt is. I made sure to keep that tool in my tool roll.

WP_20180116_21_03_18_Raw.jpg

WP_20180116_21_04_45_Raw.jpg
    shawbagga and Force10 like this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    maybe replace it with a socket head cap screw (aka allen) and use a ball-end allen wrench.

My kid's 511 is in the same place and I believe it may be worse.
    Force10 likes this.
  4. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    That's actually a great idea! Husky isn't shy with using allens...the front axle allen is the largest one I've ever used before, this would have been a good choice for the shifter at the factory.

I did have my 8mm wrench...the thickness of the wrench prongs didn't allow me to get a good bite on it. I guess I need to find one with super slim prongs.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The shifter bolt on the 449/511 sucks fer sure. I think they took the old big block location and decided to make it extra challenging. I use a 1/4in drive socket on a u-joint at the end of a 2 in extension. On the trail I have used a small box end while I'm laying flat on my bank.
    Force10 likes this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    IIRC, I use my Thorsen 8mm box end on my 310 shifter.

god, I miss american tools. not talking snap-off either.

OTOH, chinese tools have improved in the last 20 years. and why not? half of our steel factories were dismantled and moved over there 30 years ago.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I hear ya. I just bought a set of combo wrenches from Haba Fellate to improve my mobile moto tool box. It came with regular and shorty sizes so I can now have a complete set for the trail and a better selection at camp. Good stuff and cheap.

Sorry, back to our subject at hand.
  8. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    On my 165 I installed a longer OEM bolt which seems to not loosen as easy. I still check it every ride :cheers:
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Yeah 8mm ring spanner(box wrench to you yanks) fits sweet. Get a 12 point type though as you have to take small bites at it. I usually do it up whilst lifting shifter into second gear(highest point of it's travel). No biggy just sounds like you need a different $2 spanner