1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wiring on new to me 2009 WR 250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mikebru, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    Sorry guys, I know there are plenty of threads out there about WR light hook-ups. I searched but can't find diagram for the 2009 WR 250 USA enduro light setup. Bought bike 2 days ago.

I have that harness (judging by parts diagram), but not tail section of it. I also have a non-connected KTM headlight on bike. Will buy an Ascerbis led tail/brake setup. Just trying to determine if I should use the harness or make own wiring. Also, where to tie into a hot wire on bike.

I don't see any spare connectors anywhere on bike.

Thanks for any help.

Should I just call Halls or Bills to try to track down the USA wiring diagram?

Thanks
    Mike
  2. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    There should be a yellow wire that's your AC...don't hold me to that though. I haven't looked at the wiring on an '09. It's true for a '92 and '12 though.
    GusG likes this.
  3. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Actually, I'll be more help...

http://www.husqvarnafactory.nl/pdf/2009/2009_WSM_WR250-300.pdf
    Page 391

Wire is yellow. You'll see 3 wires coming from the stator, light blue, blue and yellow. The light blue and blue go onto the CDI. The yellow should go on up to a regulator. It's possible the regulator was removed and the yellow wire was cut. If so, cut back the wire wrap carefully to see if the yellow wire is right there near the top. You can splice that with a new wire and use any off the shelf AC regulator, Trail Tech has a regulator for $18 (gives 12v-16v AC suitable for most offroad headlights) or if you're trying to do a DC setup (which would only be wanted if you were running a battery and dual sport headlight), then you can get their rectifying regulator for about $50, which will give you 12v DC.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  4. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Fully agreed!

I sent this screen grab to Mike this morning via PM:
    [IMG]

That's the Euro harness, but the stuff circled should apply to any setup. The yellow wire out of the stator is AC, and that's what you want to use for lights, Trailtech, etc. If there isn't an AC regulator on the bike (item H above), you'll need to add one.
  5. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Trailtech told me there regulators wouldn't work on these bikes without floating the ground(what I was told so never went with on)?
  6. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

It would need to be floated if you went the rectifier (DC) route, but I see no reason why the AC regulator wouldn't work.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  7. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for your help guys. I called Halls this afternoon and was connected with Jeff. He knew exactly what I was asking about.

The regulator is on the bike. Jeff said I just had to disconnect the yellow running from the stator to the regulator at a spade connector. Then, take the yellow's on the harness and plug them into each end of the yellows I just disconnected on the bike. The harness has a ring connector that gets grounded on one of the coil bolts. Then run wires to headlight and my future tail light.

All that's left is to do it! I'll report back when I'm done in a few days. Lights will be on at all times unless I install a small switch.
    Mike
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  8. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    I have 09 300. In Paramus areA NJ if you need to see how it's all connected. I have head and tail lights on mine.
  9. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks ks9mm. I'm going to work on it this weekend and see how it goes.

Do you have a handlebar switch or do they just come on when you start the bike? Brake switch?
  10. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    they just come up when bike comes on. no switch. i think I have brake switch.. i can check if you need it.
  11. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm waiting for my taillight, brake switch and trailtech. So now I'm thinking about a horn to be street legal.

I understand the cheepo horns for sale everywhere need dc power. The only options I see for an AC-powered 09 WR are to buy one and see what happens, spend $50 on a SAR battery unit with button or by a bicycle model.

What are others out there doing for a horn?

Thanks
    Mike
  12. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Does NJ not require a battery to run lights for 20 minutes with the engine off?

It's in the KDOT rules, but I've never seen it enforced.
  13. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Never heard of that one. Back when we had mc inspection I had a DRZ350. Ironically, it failed inspection because the horn wasn't loud enough. Turns out it was full of water.

Now in NJ, cars have emissions inspection only every 2 years. No inspections at all for mc's. However, you can be pulled over for safety reasons/equipment by police.
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Don't bother buying a DC horn to see what happens. My brother tried that on his AC Husky and it was about as loud as a mouse farting.

I don't bother with horns on my plated 2-strokes. If they're going to bust my balls about horns, I'm also going to be in trouble for non-DOT tires, no mirror, no high/low beam, no blinkers...
    Claybilly17 and ripnriding like this.
  15. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Good point. I lose on the tires for sure. Did buy the $10 mirror. I'll spend the $50 on something more productive.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  16. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Just think of how much Tecate you can buy with $50! :cheers:
  17. Marshall Deming Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    several

I recently purchased a 2010 WR300 with no lights as my first Husky. I am intent on adding a headlight, tail light, and brake light, but can't seem to figure out the wiring. I've read every post on this great forum that I can find on this subject, and have not found one that seems to match my situation. I've also reviewed the wiring diagrams in the owner's and workshop manuals and the various parts involved in the parts manual.

First thing, my bike does not have a yellow wire anywhere. Coming out of the right-side case, it has four wires that all go into the electronic device on the front frame down tube: red, green, black/red, and red/white. Is one of these analogous to the infamous yellow wire? Coming out of the electronic box are two wires: white/blue and black/white.

Also, my bike has no regulator/rectifier.

Can anyone please advise or point me to a post that covers my situation?
    Thanks.
  18. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    must be the ducati ignition=
  19. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I have the the Ducati ignition on my 2012 wr300, regulator and yellow wire for AC lights, etc.

:cheers:
  20. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Is it a CR not a WR? No lights on the CR.