Will be testing some new off road tires.

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Motosportz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was looking at some stuff, saw some tires, contacted the importer. Struck a deal and he sent me a set to evaluate. Odd looking. We will see shortly if they are good or not.

these are semi budget tires, new to the market and made in Thailand. they don't look like your typical cheap tire and are designed by guys that do some really nice ATV tires. We will see.

[IMG]

Initial impressions...

Front - Seems like a nice lighter weight MX type tire. Small wide spaced knobs. Rubber seems medium to hard compound by feel. I'm kinda picky about front tires so this will be good or it will come right back off. Willing to test, not willing to crash over cheap tires. Hoping for the best and they don't look like crap. We will see.

[IMG]

Rear - Why I initially contacted these guys is I saw a picture of the rear and it looked like a pirelli I used to like. When i received the tire it seems different than the picture maybe because it is unmounted or an 18 instead of a 19. the one I received looks wider and flatter. It also seems like really stiff compounds which in the past with inexpensive tires has not been a good thing. I am keeping an open mind until I try them. I will be mounting them on a newly acquired 18" rim I got for my 125 (165)

[IMG]

I'll take some better mounted picture later, these are late night in a dark shop kinda pix, sorry.
    huskyduck, benwiggin2 and robertaccio like this.
  2. PBM457 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350SXF 2004 RM250
    Good luck. Look forward to hearing your thought.
  3. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Yeah, that rear tire is almost identical to the Pirelli MXMS 19" and XCMS 18". I haven't found a rear tire I like better than those.
  4. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250
    Can't be worse than the S12 front...... If it is, burn it!
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  5. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Looks similar to what we ride here in Cambodia.

they are half the price of a regular dunlop.

the do wear out a lot faster though.

the rear last for me about a 30 to 40 Hours on the WB 165 and about 20 to 25 hours on the CRF 450 (might be my riding style)

Robert-Jan
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats about all I get out of rear tires. Some Motoz (ST/IT) I will run longer because even worn out they hook up pretty good.
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    the dunlop rear tires are lasting longer, I have one on the CRF now and I get 33 Hours on it (could do probably one ride more (should not hit the sand though))

Robert-Jan
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Back to Kenda Carlsbad for all rounder. Love Motoz but find they chunk.
    My preference in order is Kenda, Bridgestone 403 and Dunlop 51's for all round work across the whole geographic spectrum
  9. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    They look like the Rinaldi tires...I have tried a set of these actually. They are actually decent sand and mud tires but get a little sketch on anything else. Was able to pick them up for about A $100 a set so I couldnt complain on the price.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just looked those up. Tread pattern is completely different.
  11. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I guess they are a little different. Rinaldi_RW33_Rear_C.jpg
  12. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Anyway I'm sure you'll only sell what works. The other tires I mentioned might be one to look into stocking if you don't have luck with the first ones..just my 2cents.
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    So why don't you tell us who makes them?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm just going to evaluate and give you my honest opinion on them. Unless they rule I'm not going to become a dealer. I just like trying different stuff because sometime you find gems like the Motoz and the Lectron carbs. Will report when I get a ride on them. Should have them mounted up tonight.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I've tried some different off-breed tires here and had no luck at all ... Some of the rear ones just would not hook-up on dirt ...

--
    Maybe you can find something worth buying but I don't even consider anything off-brand that is sold here ...
  17. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    About $60 front and $90 rear depending on sizes.

I mounted them up last night and so far so good. They seem well made, nothing cheap or odd about them. They both went on and beaded up EZ and fit nice with no issues. They look much more the part after mounting and the profile changed.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got out for a test on these at a local ride area for a few hours yesterday. This place is semi sucky riding but very closet o my house and a great place to test tires and suspension. This place is "slicker than snot" as it is hard packet clay base and roots and rocks. When it is wet it is super slick. It was very wet yesterday.

I started out really slow and conscious that I had new unknown tires on. I have had unknown tires before and some of them scarred me how horrible they were. I was once give a brand new Kings Tire to try. It was free and looked good. It was a nightmare to mount (should have been my first clue) and was horrible. Did not hook up on anything and spit knobs off in the rocks. I took them off after the first ride and would not even give them to my friends that said they would run them. So I started cautiously with these. My initial impression when hitting the slick clay was, huh, these seem to hook up well. I kept pushing the limit a little more and gaining confidence. After a few miles I was starting to not ride so guarded and started turning it up some. The more I rode the more I liked them. Both end hooked up very well and I have zero issues or pucker moments and this is in very bad conditions. I need tog et more time on these but so far very impressed. Both ends hooked up great and the front really impressed me and I was worried about the front more than anything. So...

Front tire:

This is my initial test and honeymoon with these tires. That said I am a quick evaluator and ride a lot and try a lot of different stuff so am hyper sensitive to different products and setup. I liked these instantly and they only reinforced my feeling the more I rode. I was prepared to hate the front tire, did not excite me looks wise and like I said I am picky about fronts and there is only a handful of front tires I would run. This tire is now on that list. In the slick clay base we were riding it hooked up like velcro. Does not wash out, pick any line you like, etc. Seems to completely ignore rocks and hooks up amazingly on clay. Honestly I am pretty shocked. I will say the 165 I am running them on has the suspension really setup well and 125 based bikes seem to be very EZ on front tires. 4 strokes that put more weight on the front seem much more picky about front tires where the 125 class bikes you can get away with a lot more. All that said I am seriously impressed with the performance of these tires. Time will tell if they wear good and hold up and don't loose side knobs etc. I ripped off 50 quick miles of slick clay and am very impressed. Will be riding again Sunday in a different area and will report back.

Rear Tire:

First I must let you know that I just got a 18" rear wheel for my bike and this is the first ride with that. So my comparisons are not only a new tire but also a new size in 18" verses 19" Last few rides on my 19" were on a new Motoz Terrapactor which I like a lot. Very good tire, very predictable, gobs of braking power, handles very nice. The 18" is obviously more meaty and chunky looking. I did notice a little difference in ride (better) and it did seem more planted. These are 18" traits and should be considered into my testing. That said I also loved the rear. I was wheeling and blasting out of corners on slick clay much better than I had hoped. The climbs were EZ and traction full. The tire never got squirrely even though it should have given the conditions. As this tire has kind of a paddle tire like knob placement I worried about side slip with no staggered knobs. this was not the case and stuck well brake sliding into corners and crawling up V'ed out clay sides. What i did notice is this tire gets a lot of traction and likes to be torqued instead of reved. It gets really good traction when you short shift and load it. Was EZ to keep in this range and let it do its thing. If you do hammer it and lite it up it does spin pretty good but stays straight and controlled and keeps moving forward.

Summary:

I am very impressed with these tires. I was fully prepared to hate them. I have been down this road before with new budget tires and even what are supposed to be really good name brand ones. I took a chance on these as the rear looked a lot like a Pirelli that I always liked. The front one is replacing a Motoz with 2000 miles on it that was still working great. So it might be EZ to say well yeah of course it works better than a 2000 mile old tire. But had i put a Maxxis IT front or Mich S12 on (both which I hate) i would have rated them far lower than my 2000 mile Motoz. I rode buddy Mikes bike which is almost identical to my own bike with brand new Mich S12's on and we both agreed my 2000 mile Motoz front was FAR better than his Mich. (My opinion only, I know many like the S12) This new Tech2 really impressed me. The rear one did too. My initial feelings are both are very good tires on my 165 in the NW. How these might feel on a 275 pound 4 stroke in fast open stuff i have no ides. For woods work in mud, clay, rocks, roots on a 2 stroke they work very good. Tire and longevity testing aside these are now in a handful of tires I will run and recommend. Glad I gave these a shot and even more happy to be pleasantly surprised.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Say Hi Travis

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    huskyduck and gots_a_sol like this.
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class