1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Wide 5 speed inquiry...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Terrence R, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800

Changing the countershaft sprocket doesn't do anything to change the size of the gap between gears, it just makes the overall gearing taller and shorter.

And thanks, I know that I can change the sprocket. :rolleyes:
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hi Kyle, if changing sprockets didn't change the spacing of the gears ar we ride (after all is is part of the final ratio) then we would never change from factory sprocket sizes. The changing of sprockets can in fact increase the gaps between gears or minimize them as we ride.
    Palito and David Hudson like this.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I disagree. I changed sprockets because I want to move the entire gearbox range up or down relative to vehicle speed. For example, for tight woods I gear down because I want the gears to be functional at a lower speed, whereas for dual sporting or supermoto I gear up because I need more top end.

If you have a 15T front sprocket and shifting at 5,000 rpm in second puts you at 3,000 rpm in third, changing the sprocket will NOT change that gap. You'll always go from 5,000 rpm to 3,000.

You may perceive the gaps to be smaller because the speed differences for gears gets less, but the percentage change between gears, and the subsequent engine speed (and powerband) change between gears, can only be changed by changing the gears within the transmission. On my 610, for example, the space between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd can be too large (gappy) for aggressive trail riding, and changing the front sprocket doesn't make it less gappy, it just changes the ground speed where the gaps occur.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i disagree as well..that makes no sense. final drive has virtually no effect on the spacing between gears
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    ive never realy thought about it that much but I guess the actual internal gear ratios never change(unless you go inside & physically change a cog!) its just the perceived difference/moving the useable rev range around to suit. I found 13/48 on my 300 makes 2nd & 3rd gear sort of too inbetween, as in youre always revving 2nd too hard or 3rd just too high. going to 14/48 made 2nd a bit more useable without having to always shift up where I normally would-could hold the gear longer(same speed through section just eliminated the shift) on same section of trail without it revving its tits off. gave 5th gear a little more legs(sorry I mean it actually really just increased top speed a little for transport sections). downside was first became a bit too short & leads to clutch abuse/engine getting hotter in real tight going. its all a trade off somewhere along the line:excuseme:
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    yup, you have to shift around according to your riding. all my huskies are wide 6 speeds so i tend to focus on what my 1st and 2nd gear needs are. i ride alot of woods so if i get those 2 gears where i need them, mid and top fall into place
  7. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    I know this is a old thread but maybe someone can answer / confirm one thing for me:

I have a 2010 WR300 and just bought a 99-03 WR250 5-speed Wide ratio transmission. I have both shafts and the forks.
    Do I need anything else like the drum or selector mechanism ? I really thought being both 5 gear that I do not !

If someone knows for sure please comment, Thanks !

Cheers
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Pretty sure it will bolt right in. The gears are all in the same places they just have different ratios. I installed the WR 5 speed in my 06 using all the 06 parts. Just make sure you use the shims that are on the outside of the countershaft on your current tranny on the new tranny. They are spaced to match your cases.
    Hurky likes this.
  9. SmokeyExpress Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300, 1996 WR360,2013 WR125
    +1 on what Mr Wallybean said! I have done the swap! You don't even need the forks! Just the mainshaft & layshaft clusters! Just remember to use the shim that is already in your existing gearbox when you do the swap as this will ensure that the layshaft cluster lines up correctly in your cases! (that's VERY important!)

I think it's a great box for the 300! Yeah some people may not like the jump between 4th & 5th but the 300 seems to have enough torque to deal with it. Also, lets face it, by the time you are ready to throw 5th, the trail has usually opened up so the jump isn't really much to worry about! Besides it is a great excuse (not that we need one) to wind it out! :thumbsup:
    Hurky likes this.
  10. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Thanks for the confirmations, I cannot wait to install it, but I will do it in the summer-break as it will take some time.

May I ask what final gearing you're using ? I'm using right now a 13/45 that's having a reasonable speed in 5th but is too fast in first gear. I was planning to go 13/48 with the wide ratio...

Cheers
  11. SmokeyExpress Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300, 1996 WR360,2013 WR125
    I think I am using 13/49
    I would have to check to be certain.
    That's for tight stuff, more a more open trail I would put a 14 on the front.
    I did try 13/45 for a little while but like you I found 1st too high! Although the top speed was unreal! Think 165kph!

Have fun!
    Hurky likes this.
  12. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hope this post doesn't break any rules.. If anyone is looking (please let your friends know - thank you).. I have a almost complete Husqvarna WR250 engine for sale (sorry I do not know what might be missing).. Bottom end was recently rebuilt by Rob Lang Off-Road with new bearings (see invoice).. Transmission is the 5 speed wide ratio (WR250 came with 5 speed close ratio).. Please see the "Classified Section" for more information (Awaiting moderation).. Thanks and cheers.. :cheers:

Attached Files: