1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Where to buy 144cc piston kit?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sendman, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Travis616 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Honda CR125/134 build
    Is there enough material on the top of the piston to just lathe it flat? That would put the height the same as the husky?
  2. Sendman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 144
    Yes, it's enough, and i thought about it. BUT i was told that you can't hold piston in lathe, because it will probably broke.
  3. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    It will not.

I machine custom pistons (lot's of them) all the time. Wrap them in a thin tape, like electrical tape to protect the finish, and you'll be fine. That's my plan if the oem piston becomes a problem.
  4. Travis616 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Could likely stand the piston up on a vertical mill bed and hold it through the pin boss then use a fly cutter to take the top down too??
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    That would work too. That's how I cut the valve reliefs. Everything else I do on the lathe.

If a piston's going to break from clamping it in a 3 jaw chuck, I'm not sure I'd want that in my motor.

I thought about this last night and did a bit of research. Eric Gorr might have an option as well. He sells a number of 144 pistons, and apparently one of them has a lower compression height.
    johnnyboy likes this.
  6. Sendman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 144
    Another issue is - you want to hold piston in jaw chuck centered, but piston at his head and skirt has different diameters. So you won't be able to hold it evenly
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
  8. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    It's not a problem with a small piston like that. I do larger ones as well, and indicate them with a dial indicator while chucking to make sure they're true.
  9. Travis616 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    The piston taper should be fairly minimal, plus there's the possibility of chucking it from the inside that might be an option - plus any marks left from the jaws wouldn't matter..
  10. Sendman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 144
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Was thinking, if anybody is having a hard time finding a piston and wants to send me one of the alternatives, I can do the fit-up and machining no charge. Just to verify that we have a legit option without having to mod the head.
  12. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Pistons are readily available.
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The stock one is available, I checked and could get one from my supplier. I have had good life from OEM pistons as well so I didn't try looking for a different one.
  15. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    As far as I know the other Canadian guy still doesn't have his. $200 in USD, converted to CDN, plus shipping and tax will be close to $350 for a piston. The last one I bought was less than $200 CDN including the top end gasket set.
    Considering the extremely low production of this bike, I wouldn't be surprised to see the manufacturers stop making them. Just preparing for either eventuality. What happens if I need one mid-season? I can't wait 6 weeks, or even 2-3 weeks from the States at $350. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    you could be right...but wossner makes a piston for all the 70s and up swedes still...
  18. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I can see why it might seem an odd thing for me to offer, but we've been going through this with the cars I've driven and raced for the last 20 years, and they were sold in pretty large quantity.
    Maybe I jumped the gun, maybe not.
  19. ripnriding Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX 300 and 2010 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 husqvarna TE 450(sold)

I'm still waiting for my wossner.......working with Rob Lang who is keeping me posted on status...got so impatient and concerned re parts availability of this bike...I bought a 2017 TX 300...problem solved....but still want the 144 as another "buddy" or spare bike. :)
  20. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Keep us posted. I won't need one for my bike for at least a year, but I'd like to at least know if they're available.
    ripnriding likes this.