Where did my oil go?

Discussion in '7602 Racing' started by mikebru, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    Just installed the new clutch cover w/sight glass on my 2005 TE450.

I first drained all old oil, cleaned all screens and changed oil filter. I also tipped the bike over so oil would drain out of the two screen holes. I even tightened all bolts up tight.

I also quick-steel'd in my oil check bolt as I'm tired of the helicoil exercise. I actually did that after the oil drained and I let dry for a day or two.

I refilled my oil w/1.5 quarts as measured w/a ratio-rite oz. measurement. Manual says put in 1.48 quarts w/a filter change. As I poured in the last drop, the oil came up in the sight glass to about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the glass. That was Tuesday night.

I went out to check the quick-steel job for leaks Wednesday morning. Don't think there were any there. I then looked in the glass and the oil was gone. I checked all other bolts/drain plug and everything was dry.

I have the bike up on a stand w/the tank off and the carburetor out. Does that mean anything? If I tip the bike backwards the oil flows into the glass. Is it just a matter of how the bike is sitting?
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Long story...short... Yes:thumbsup:
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Yes, the oil window is designed to show correct oil levels when the bike is sitting on the ground and held as close to vertical as possible. Set the bike on the garage floor and hold it straight up and the oil should return. Also most people run around 1.7 quarts of oil. Thanks.
  4. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks to both of you. And also thanks about the 1.7 quarts as I added some more to see what would happen.:banghead:
  5. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Not sure on all the Huskys but the 2010 TE 250 books and manuals show that you show warm the engine up shut it off and hold it in a level position.. The oil should be in the middle of the window.. Again thats the 2010 4 stk 250's
  6. midengineracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 7602 cover gives the instructions for where the oil should be in the window.

+1 on 1.7L from a drained bike. I have the auto-clutch cover with a standard clutch, I am running ~2L.
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    33.8 ounces in a liter, 32 in a quart...just for reference as some of us buy by the qt. and some by the liter.

My oil level still barely shows when the bike is on the kickstand. Stand it up and it shows between the lines.
  8. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I added a little bit more that 1.7L. Stood bike up and it's a little under the half way point on the glass. I didn't get instructions w/my cover.
  9. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Most people try to maintain the oil level from 1/2 full to 3/4 full in the window. Depending on how much oil you want in there. I keep mine at around 3/4 full.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Do not overfill the oil thinking more oil is good. More oil is actually bad for these motors as there is little crank case room and will cause pressure, blow out from the overflow and the engine to have less power as it fights the crank case pressure.

David (Fitness2go) learned how a little extra oil takes many HP off the top on the dyno.