1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Wheel Bearing Question ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 84scrambler, Jul 3, 2017.

1. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I was searching wheel bearings for the 87 and found that some of you guys are taking apart wheel bearings and adding grease. Well, I would like to know are you doing this while in the hub or are you taking them out to do this if so how are you getting them out with out damaging them or am I missing something? Or do you only do this to new bearings? I would like to check mine while I am installing the new MT 16's
  2. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    peel the seals off the bearing and pack it with grease and re-install the seal. i've been doing this for years on all new bearings i install that are sealed .
  3. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Your talking new bearings right? or can this be done to the old ones in the hub?
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    new bearings. you pretty much ruin a wheel bearing removing it as you imply. you can still add some on an already installed old bearing on 1 side. i use a razor blade to catch and pry/pop the seal out. only work on the outer part of the seal, so the part of the seal that slides against the inner race isnt disturbed or damaged. sometimes a bearing will run a lil hot if packed 100% tight full of grease.
    on new bearings, remove both seals and flush with starting fluid, brake cleaner, etc so there arent grease compatibility issues.
  5. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok, that makes more sense now. I guess I need new then, who has a good source for these ? front and rear look the same size but it looks like the left rear has a extra outer seal . does this sound right ?
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    pretty sure the extra one you speak of is mostly a "husky" part. its also a holder for the axle spacer. i believe phil among others has these..
    the bearings are all the same on 80s wheels, just a 6302 rs. they can be had anywhere really. just pick a brand like nachi, toyo, fag, or skf, etc..with that number. i bet your 79 is the same bearing too.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  7. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Justin, There is a miller bearing in town I just need to find time to go now .
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    use bell ray waterproof grease....
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i use it also...there are greases that lubricate better, but you give a small amount up for awesome water resistance.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    its worth it unless your going to be desert riding all the time then a high temp wheel bearing grease is advisable
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    last time I did this, the new 6302 had barely a smidgeon of what looked like Vaseline inside the seals...cost cutting???
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    that or even just straight-up error..regardless, i dont trust it...i flush any and all out and replace. the belray stays put
  14. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    That little grease is standard, its not a wheel bearing to the manufacturer. Its designed for 50,000 rpm or more who knows but that little grease prevents unwanted drag.

For us its a must to fill it with grease and leave no room for water to sit.
    I repack the outside a few times when i service my rear brake.
    Fronts last long enough to leave alone after its first grease job.
  15. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    With new bearing i slather them up real good and put them in my wife's vacuum sealer...it sucks out the air and packs the bearing pretty well..
  16. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    It's the same on new bikes JC, advisable to take apart and grease everything properly.
    In the past I have joked about manufacturers having one tub of grease that they wave over every bike as it passes on the assembly line......they still have that tub full to the brim!
  17. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I don't mean to nitpick but I think its possible to remove a bearing without ruining it. (I put emphasis on "think" because I don't really know)

Isn't properly removing a bearing just the opposite of properly installing it? If the outer race is pressed out of the bearing cavity isn't it no different than pressing the outer race into the bearing cavity. I'm thinking, theres that word again, that if what you say is true the new bearings are ruined when properly installed.

I'm not a bearing expert by any sense of the imagination so please feel free to share what the difference is between a proper install and a proper removal that would cause damage only during the removal process. :D
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    how do you remove a wheel bearing in an 80s swede...without using a punch crossways thru the hub working against the inner race of the bearing?
    kind of the reason crank installers are used, so you arent pitting the inner and outer races against each other.
    installing a wheel bearing of course you just use the outer race but you know of a way to uninstall them differently?
  19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Ya don't remove it, just pop the seal out & replace after greasing it.
    84scrambler likes this.
  20. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I was checking out an exploded view of a hub in the parts list and forgot about the distance spacer thats between the bearings inside the hub. It makes it pretty much impossible to press out the first wheel bearing via the outside race. I was picturing case bearings when thinking of removing a bearing by pressing the outside race.