1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

whats the diff??? cr @ wr?? tranny.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    What's the difference between a 82 430 cr @ 430 wr? Primary ratio or tranny Gears?
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    CR - close ratio transmission, internal rotor Motoplat WR - wide ratio transmission, external rotor SEM or Motoplat ignition. I believe primary ratio is the same on the 430 but different than the 250s. It has been mentioned that using 250 primary gearing in the 430 will spin the engine over faster when kick starting
  3. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Primary ratio is the same, and I think 4th and 5th gears share the same ratios with all the rest different between the CR and WR/XC. I use the 400LC or the 250 primary gears in my 430s but if you do that you have to use the 84 style clutch with the extra plates otherwise the clutch will slip.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    to me, the ignition choice makes a bigger difference than the transmission. internal vs external
    86 400 XC likes this.
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I would suggest you learn how to use the reference material on this site. Namely the 81-88 tech reference sheet. That is about midway down all the stuff on page 2. This file is a lot more helpful starting around 1985. The parts sheets, ipl can be found at Hall's website or other places or a disc of a whole bunch of them can be purchaced. Make a folder on a desktop computer and save the files.

The differences between cr and wr transmissions and primary reduction change a lot depending on the year. You can't figure this year out looking at the parts sheet for 1982? Perhaps the most importand difference is the 400, 430, and 500 wr and xc (found in vintag left kick)from 1982-2000+/- the gears themselves (excpt half of the first ratio pair which is part of the input shaft) is the same part numbers. The four stroke six speed sheets once those become available namely the italian ones not the two cycle italian ones.

Verifying the year of parts for sale is another matter.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    To me on a 430 with a 10 pound crankshaft assembly I can't see how changing out between origional equipment ignitions would make much of a difference in inertia for the rotating mass.
    For the question in post 1 though the ignition would make the only noticable difference the way I see things.
    The four speed 500 cr transmission when I did the math for the ratios came out to essentially the six speed without first and sixth. One of my friends who had that bike, and entered events on it "back in the day" gave that transmission credit for making him a better rider.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The early 430 used the same 39/70 as the 500xc. There are later bikes with primary gearing that can be swapped in not quite as drastic a change. 33/76. Looks like the 250 has different part numbers for primary gearing over time staying with the clip on clutch basket. I don't know if the 84 te510 ratio is a typo or not 79/30
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    you would think that to be true but it has not been my experience. the steahly weight i added to my 360 sure didnt weigh much but had an effect on the bike. sometimes its the little things i guess
  10. SK Marls Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR400, CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only Huskys
    It makes a big difference swapping from external rotor (XC and WR) to internal rotor (CR). The difference cannot be calculated simply by weight, but also must consider axial distance from centerline of crank. An ounce on the outside diameter of the external rotor has an exponential amount more inertia than an ounce closer to the crank centerline. High school physics: Inertia (momentum) = mass x velocity
    In practical terms, you get much quicker revs and more wheelspin with the internal version. The external rotor does not accelerate/decelerate as quickly, therefore it helps with traction in slippery conditions and helps keep the engine from stalling in very slow, gnarly terrain.
    RUF likes this.
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Correct, which is why the PVL internal rotor with the heaviest brass screw on weight still does not behave the same as the MZ-B steel external rotor with similar total rotor masses. The MZ-B carries the mass farther away from the center line of the crank so the mass has more effect.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a bit past high school physics. Not sure exponential is the right word above but in general no sense arguing. None of the rotors I have seen on the small taper are as large as the one on my 360 with the large taper. My point is the 430 crank weighs 10 pounds or pretty close that figure might be for the 500 (with more removed due to the heavier oscilating mass but heavier rod) they both fill the crank cavity and have a larger diameter than the mini 6 external rotor don't they? Rotor has some aluminum. It is a hard sell :thinking: maybe I should weigh and measure the parts, do the calculus to determine what percentage increase in angular momentum. The difference for a smaller diameter and weight crank I would have most likely worded it differently.

How does that compare to the steel clutch basket on my 1988 it is bigger still but turns at reduced speed, then get some steel plates.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Is there any cr & wr teeth count and gear ratio charts for the 84 husqvarnas. I'm looking for the primary ratios too. I don't see it in the charts.
  14. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 500 cr on the 1984 parts sheet has z= that is the tooth count. The wr would be the same as later on in that 81-88 teck data pdf file when more data is published. The bikes came with a manual but the specs came on a two sided card for exactly what was purchaced, kind of complicates things. I don't see a 430 in 84 you want 125, 250? If no one has it and you wanted it bad enough you could cross the parts numbers in the 6 speeds to later where the data is available. Probably you only would be after the 250 transmission and primary reduction after sentence 2 here. 500 wr 39/70 primary
  15. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  16. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I down loaded it already it doesnt have the '81 to '84 primary, tranny gear specs. I just purchased a unknown set of gears. I'm not sure if there cr or wr. There not hear yet.
    The seller says there '84/250 gears but I've seen sellers call a 420 a 250 and another guy call a 430 a 250 before. The nine cylinder cooling fins tell me it's bigger than a 250. So you know how that goes. If the parts are reasonable I pick them up.

I would like to know what bore sizes this gear set can be used in. I know as the bore sizes go up the primary ratio gets higher. The tranny gear ratios are different between the cr and wr. That leaves me with adjusting the final drive sprocket ratios if I don't have the correct primary or tranny ratios. I can go to a 15t or 14t front sprocket or smaller on the rear.

I have the time to experiment with gearing and ratios. For fun since I have an extra case.

Think about it a 430 with the correct primary ratio, with a 250wr tranny, with a 15t front sprocket with a 53t rear sprocket should pull really hard. But I'm not sure of the tranny gear ratios yet. I'm just thinking.

Or build a newer case OR ratio tranny? That's a wr for gears 1-3 and cr for gears 4-6.
    This keeps the rpms up in the power band in the woods when shifting from 3rd on. There's no wr bog if the rpms aren't high enough.
  18. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    There are a few different primary reduction ratios. 39/70 33/76 30/79 mayb more they change depending on year, displacement, number of trans gears not as simple as you state above.
    wr,xc trans only difference is gears 1,2,3 250 vs larger best as I know
    cr varies depending on year more some may well have different number of gears in same year when you take them apart. All I have is 6 speed though one sheet shows four.
    If you see some numbers on a gear chances are it corresponds to numbers at the end of the part number.

Most likely someone riding a 430 in the woods in the power band ends up having medical procedures. Most enduros 24 mph is not possible except for a few. some sections are 18, four or three tenths of a mile per minute. That 10 pound flywheel assembly isn't going to be your friend when it is time to slow down. I suspect the top riders in the day these bikes were under AA riders they rode 250 around here.

An air cooled 430, 15 tooth front sprocket woods New England???????
    Do you mind if I ask if you ever got promoted out of the C class?
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I never raced. It depends on which way my health goes once I'm off the cancer injections. I'm to the point in another year I might have nothing to lose either way. I'd like to race vintage just once. Like Velcro me to the seat. I'm pushing my son to race the post 80's vintage class. I told him ill support him and let's have fun. My 390 had a larger front sprocket.

The AA RIDERS rode kdx200 then the 200 kantoons was the upgrade. I'm not sure what's the hot bike now.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    a 15 tooth sprocket is huge..with a 53 in the back would severely dog down a 250. not sure a bigger motor would like it either.