What's the best rocky terrain tire.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RaceDCrown, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Before I purchased a 523 Rocky I sent a email to Gram Jarvis. Yes he answered it I asked him since he had rode in the same area that I race a lot When he did King of the Moto My question to him was what tyre should I use for the Hare & Hounds He said to use a 523 Rocky We talked about the other models and came back to the 523 for the best overall all around tyre for what I was asking the tyre to do

Yes Garvis used a 216 gummy the first year at KOA and won but it was destroyed at the finish. The second year it was either a 216 regular or a 230 Which he also destroy. the 230 is a non FIM tyre which Jarvis used at a non FIM wildwood endure in England The 523 will do well in a lot of areas and will last longer then you would think for the performance it has Heck you really want to be super man in the rocks mount up a 216 sticky but even if I try not to spin it and ride with control it is gone in about 100 miles But a fun 100 miles
    robertaccio likes this.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I knew you would be right into this mix....good stuff we have direct lines to real world top tier stuff here.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

golden tyres.jpg here you go pick one
    268fords likes this.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    what type of compound is the rear rocky?? soft med soft?
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Robert I really do not know how to describe the compound of the 523 Rocky For me it just works well every where and in the rocks it super shines. It holds up fine and does not chunk. I would put it in the category of performance of that of the love affair everyone has with the 216AA Fatty front. I have now done 5 Nationals in 4 different western states, I did Last dog Standing Rd1 and finished Big Bear All Hard ways with a 523 Rocky rear tire. That should cover just about every type of riding area all said and done I have order more for the up coming winter racing season.
    so what compound is it the answer is Good Compound Try one I believe you will like it
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    G force 2015 extreme enduro machine. GT216 front and rear (compound??) looks like GT216 fatty 90/100-21 front and a GT216 140/80-18 rear both in FIM pattern (GT216 series).
    Maybe just a clean publicity standard shot could be swapping between pattern types, who knows?
    106617_graham_jarvis_extreme_enduro_1863.jpg
    NCSteve likes this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Robert you just had to post that picture That is my bike Like I told you when I asked Gram what tyre should I be using for best all around desert racing and the answer was 523 Rocky I have used a 216 gummy in the rear so much fun for 1 day Zip Ty Racing does have the 230 next step up from the gummy and the 523 which I really like in stock
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Now I have the official former Ajax practice bike that ran at LDS which came with a 523 with quite a few miles left in it. Even with the knobs rounding off, it still has lots of traction. I could probably turn it around and get a few days out of it. I don't know I'd run it on a big thumper but it really seems to work well on a 250.

I'm gonna leave it alone and see how it works as is in Johnson Valley in the near future.

Here is a comparison for you. Probably close to 400 miles on this one I guess. 20150927_074603.jpg