What tools for opening cartridge on Kayaba 48 open cartridge?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Radbuster, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Radbuster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR125 '10
    Bingo!
    It can always get better, but midvalve and float work well now.
    I removed a 24 face shim and the 22, and shimmed to get approx .87mm in float.

I still does whoops almost as well but soaks up bigger rocks much better, and it doesn't run nose-high as before so it turns alot better now.
    Now that the damping action is balanced front and rear, I could finish off the clicker adjustments.
    Only rear rebound is not down to the last click, but otherwise front comp, front reb, rear comp, and rear HSC are down to the single click.

When the settings were finally done, I noticed how easy it became to trust the bike and just ride.

Thanks Kyle!
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  2. Radbuster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR125 '10
    Bad idea of not putting loctite on the cartridge threads!
    I figured I'll be in there soon enough and can check it's still closed tight.
    Wrong! While riding the other day I helt something similar to the steering stem nut being loose when lifting the front wheel over obstacles.
    I pulled in, checked the stem nut (was ok), pulled the front wheel and felt one of the forks was weird.
    Opened the fork and saw the spring seat had come undone from the cartridge tube.
    No damage though as it was caught in time.
    As it was time anyway, I'm servicing and checking the forks completely: new inner and outer bushings, new SKF fork seals and wipers and new oil.
    And of course, some loctite on said threads :doh:
  3. Chipster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te477 (Brazil 511 model)
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 kx125.1981 maico 490,2012 te511
    KYB 48mm front forks 2013 te 511

I have seemed to gotten myself in a spot of bother.
    Just could not get any rebound damping,the screw adjusters did nothing,so I thought I would have a look inside,mmm,big mistake for me,all I have managed to do is mix up the rebound shims on both stacks of both forks,probably lost a shim and still have no idea of why I had no rebound damping.
    I would be most grateful ,If any one could tell me how and in what order to put the shims back,(I have even managed to confuse myself which way the piston goes round), if I could manage this at least I would be back to where I was before I foolishly messed about with them.
    Good news is I guess,I didn't touch the compression valve.

Many thanks
    image.jpeg