1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What temp does you fan come on at?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by yoshiboldor, Jan 14, 2015.

1. yoshiboldor Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F DUcati 848
    Hi, I was reading on a post that the fan (09 TE450) comes on at 97C. I have just tested my coolant temp sensor with iBEATS and the sensor it fine. I heated the sensor up to over 100C and the fan still didn't come on. But if I disconnect the sensor so the computer thinks there is a crazy high reading it comes on.

Anyone know what the target temp for the fan is? and is there a way of resetting the value that activates the fan?

Thanks
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I've had multiple temp sensors, and they can vary, from 210F to 230F, 98C to 110C,

The crazy high reading is the signal to the ECU that the temp sensor is bad, and the fan should come on if the temp sensor is unplugged.

I don't think there is any way to manipulate or change the ECU temperature for turning on the fan.

Get a pair of long wires and hook them to your battery, and unplug the fan and use the 2 wires from the battery to test your fan, it should come on and if it does, you probably have a bad connection, loose wire or bare wire somewhere.

[IMG]
  3. yoshiboldor Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F DUcati 848
    the fan works.
    Yes if I disconnect the temp sensor the fan will come on no problem.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Get a laser temp reader like the one in my pic, get the bike hot and point the laser, as close as possible, at the brass nut at the base of the temp sensor.
  5. yoshiboldor Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F DUcati 848
    Yeah I will do that I have an ir thermometer. but I can just leave it hooked up to ibeats and see what the temperature anyway.

I actually took the temp sensor out, put it in water at various temperatures and checked with a thermometer. The temperature ibeats was showing was identical to the thermometer, I went from 20C right up to 101C (steam off boiling the water) the fan didn't come on.

So the coolant sensor it OK.

But like I said if I disconnect the sensor ibeats comes up with the high temp warning and the fan starts?
  6. yoshiboldor Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F DUcati 848
    Ok it seems it is working fan coming on at about 96C.
    Alberto likes this.
  7. Atacama Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250
    My engine temp sensor might be shot. 2008 TE250. I hadn't noticed the fan turning on at all since I've had the bike (mid-January 2015). I disconnected the fan and gave it 12 volts and sure enough the fan spins. I removed the temp sensor cable from the brass nut, turned the key on, and the fan spins. This leads me to believe that the wires, connections, relays, etc. are OK and the sensor itself has gone bad. I don't have a temp gun but I idled the bike for about 10 minutes and the fan did not start. Any further troubleshooting ideas before I start looking for a new sensor? Anyone know the part number and where I can find one?
    Thanks gents!
    Tony
  8. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC 511, 2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas 300, 1974 Hodoka Super Combat
    should come on at 200 F give or take 10 degrees.
    More importantly if the temp switch (sensor) is bad it will send incorrect signal to ECU and your bike will not run at it's best or can even run horrible, similar to a bad ignition coil. If it is bad you cannot simply bypass it as I said earlier this is a sensor/switch so bypassing it will send the wrong information to your ECU. Good news, it's only $14. If in doubt, change it. with bike cool, radiator cap tight, remove and replace with very little coolant loss!
  9. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Halls-cycles in Springfield, Illinois. Best Husky, GasGas shop anywhere.
  10. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a relay go bad one time, but my bike was on 07. Don't know if it applies to yours.
  11. Atacama Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250
    Thanks! I ordered a couple sensors. Will install one and keep you all updated!
  12. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good idea. Cheap enough to at least rule it out. I always keep one in my backpack. So if it doesn't fix your problem keep your old one as a spare and your not out anything. Good luck hope it fixes your problem.
  13. jeg11010 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 YZ125
    210 degrees F on a brand new temp sensor. Old one was defective and the fan would not come on at all.

Temp reading off the Trail Tech vapor via coolant sensor.
  14. Atacama Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250
    New sensors arrived and installed one right away. I didn't have much coolant loss, only a few droplets, so the level was still above min. in the radiator.

Confirmed I had a failed sensor. The outside temp was 55degF and the fan came on after 12 minutes of idling. Interestingly enough, the fan ran for only a minute or two and then stopped. I guess it's all good.
  15. husqyjefff Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Can you provide a link to the sensors?