What Race

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by scoobywrx05, Jan 29, 2009.

1. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

What would you guys rather race,,,enduro or hare scramble,,,and give a reason why Please.
  2. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

I recently got into racing Hare Scrambles. I have never tried an enduro but from what I have read and heard is that the enduros are a lot harder. It takes a lot of stamina to race a 2 hour HS race but it is easier that trying to do two 30 mile laps on a enduro. I also like the simplicity of the HS series. It can be as fast paced or slow paced as you like.

The florida trail riders have a Saturday class that is usually a 7-8 mile lap that is less technical for someone that is wanting to get into racing. On Sunday they run two races on the 11-12 mile track that breaks up the really fast racers and the old and slow folks like me. I used to ride a lot of dual sport rides in Nevada that would be over 100 miles of desert terrain. It was difficult but it has nothing on trying to race 2 hours in the woods.

I have had a lot of fun at the few HS races here is florida. When I first moved here I was really bummed about not getting to ride what I was used to. I miss the mountains and the scenery (I think the desert is scenery) but the riding in Florida has given me the urge to race when I would probably never do in Nevada. Now I have my TE set up for strictly racing and makes me wish I had a second bike so I could still enjoy a quick spin around the block.
  3. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Both!!!

I think it depends on your area. Myself, I like both because in my area HS are more flowing and you do several laps to allow you to increase speed after learning the course. And Enduros are more single track and technical. I have really started to like the National Enduros very hard but very fun!
  4. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have never run an HS, but I prefer enduro. I've only been riding about 2 1/2 years and did a bunch of reading about both and chose enduro. First, it feels safer to me as the enduro's around here aren't high speed like HS and the passing in an enduro seems to be downright polite! Plus, I like the idea of a 5 to 6 hour challenge.
  5. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

+1 both for me also..however if an enduro clashed with a HS i would choose the enduro first.

i dont know what format enduros you run but you'll find a different style of passing in special test type enduros..lots of :censored::censored::censored: being shouted at the slower rider if he doesnt pull over or some kamikazi block move you wouldnt see at a supercross :D
  6. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

In the ECEA it isn't like that at all. For the most part, slower riders do move over, but even when they don't most recognize it's because they are very new, scared and don't realize there is enough room. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I get thanked about 40 times for getting out of the way:busted:. In fact, that's how I know I improved a lot in my last run because I didn't get as many thank you's because I wasn't being passed so much:D

I'm not saying there isn't some rude stuff happening by passer's and passee's in the ecea, but it certainly isn't the norm. These are old school timekeeping events though and mostly not the national format.
  7. Brinker343 Husqvarna
    A Class

Enduros are the most polite races. Lots of thank yous for moving over and I certainly give thank yous out at every opportunity. Although, I like HS and GNCC types of events because you are actually racing the line that you are on. Also, the course is more open and are able to carry more speed. I am a momentum racer therefore I don't typically like enduros. It's just too tight for me. One thing is for sure, If you can go fast in the tight stuff then you can shine in the open stuff. Watching a guy that can move through the tight trees fast is simply amazing. I don't have that ability.
  8. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

the format here is time checks that you have to make on the allotted time ..which is usually not too difficult to do ..mostly you will wind up waiting for your minute then rolling up to the check ...

the event is won purely on the fastest guy through the special tests, so every second counts then and this definitely brings out the racer..hence the shouting etc especially some times guys on loud 4 strokes dont hear the other bike coming up behind them.

but usually with the starting order for a typical enduro lap (2 hours) the experts are only lapping the novices once maybe at the 3rd lap so its not too bad
  9. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very similar to US National Enduro (restart format) What months do you race in your area? I would love to ride in Ireland, and my wife would like to go too.
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I like enduros better. It's more of a personal test for me, and I like racing the clock rather than a line of riders. It seems a tad safer to me, too. Basically, you're in control of your own destiny...for the most part. If you blow it and get hurt or do something stupid, chances are it's your own fault and could have been avoided. And chances are (if you're like me, anyway) you're probably going slower than you would be in a HS or MX. I like the timekeeping aspect of enduros, as well. It's a thinking man's game. I'm not a big fan of the national format, and it's disappointing that most of the D36 enduros are going that route. It sort of blurs the line between HS and enduro, in my opinion. Of course, when riders complain about it the old guys remind us all that enduro computers ended the era of real enduros. I guess that's sorta true. I dunno...I'm better at picking my way through the nasty than I am at railing it in top gear in the dust with 400 other riders. And doing well at something is always more fun than sucking at something.

WoodsChick
  11. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Back a jillion years ago I raced a fair amount of HS and enduro's. Since I kept going back to the enduro's, It proves I really like them better. Back in '87 (ahhhh! 22 years ago?) I was the District 14 125-A enduro champ. A small victory, but it was fun.

I raced a HS last year, and though it was fun, I really, really miss those Michigan enduros. (Gawd, I love sand!)

After seeing the video of last weeks Sumpter, SC National Enduro, it kills me that I couldn't race it. The film looks so much like Michigan, it's eerie. http://www.adrenalinevision.com

Watch this, and you'll wish every enduro were like it...and you were in it!
  12. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your right!! It didn't matter to me whether it was timekeeping or restart. I got to ride some of the best enduro trail in the world!! And I had a blast.
  13. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Enduros! I have raced MX, hare scrambles, team races, and enduros. I really enjoy not having to deal with the start mostly. Leaving the line with three riders is much better than 30. :thumbsup:

I have not done a time keeping enduro yet, just the national style. I want to do as many enduros as I can this year.

Later,
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Then you haven't done an enduro yet:D

Just my 2 cents, mind you...:)

WoodsChick
  15. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

To me enduros are about the terrain. It is all about endurance. They are longer than a HS. :excuseme: What more is to say....
  16. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I know, I enjoy doing math in my head while riding. Usually I am calculating fuel mileage though.:lol: I think a time keeper would be fun.:applause:

Later,
  17. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Not too many real enduros around these days. Not enough land, mostly. I used to do desert enduros and some woods enduros in Washington state. Jeff Fredette held a seminar on time keeping at one that I attended up there. He made everything simple, though I still couldn't keep time with my roll chart. If I can roll my chart, I'm going too slow. If I don't have time to look at it, I am going fast enough to score well, but not so fast that I burn a check.:D
  18. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do a National Enduro and your mind will change...

Maybe it is the terrain you talk about but I plan on doing the 2 Nationals out West in Wyoming and Montana...So I will see the difference.

I have never ridden west of Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, etc...
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    :lol: Exactly! My roll charts usually end up a mangled mess of paper. Either that or they never get touched at all because, well, I just didn't have time, or I was going to hour out anyway no matter what was on it. I don't even know why I get them anymore:p I really like my ICO:D

It seems the national format is doing its job, in that entries for enduros
    (here in D36 at least) are up. It's easier for the clubs, too, because the national format takes much less manpower.

WoodsChick
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

:lol: What a funny concept, eh? The first few enduros I ever rode were more about survival than watching the time. I just wanted to finish in one piece, preferrably before dark. I used my ICO to get to the start on time and make it to the first check. After that, I may as well have had a sundial on my bars:rolleyes: Once it all begins to click, though, it really is a lot of fun...in a savage sort of way:p

WoodsChick