1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What kind of steering damper do you use?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Tinken, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    What kind of motorcycle steering damper do you use and what are the settings you like to use?
  2. turboslacker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    None. Still haven't felt the Husky misbehave enough to require one.
    Radar and robertaccio like this.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I always hated steering dampers on sportbikes. Mostly because they were the standard non adjustable. Being in Colorado now and with the faster speeds I tend to do then I did in the North East I can see the benefits. I would honestly get a motosportz one. I'll be honest here for a second and just say that it is the coolest mod I've seen for these bikes :). I also like the way it's mounted, simple to adjust, has quite a range it seems, and is priced well.
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Don't run one (as yet) on my SMR, only experienced head shake when passing 120kph (high speed wobble that's tyre/geometry related) and also when landing wheelies all crossed up. Haven't done much off roading/jumps on the 'tard yet so don't know how she behaves when she gets dirty.

I have to say I'm liking the look of the Ohlins SD2.1, no need to raise the bars at all, but $$$$
    Tinken likes this.
  5. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I have only had one bike with a steering damper, an R100RS BMW, and then only because it came with it.
    If everything is proper, it seems as though handling is good, even on my 1200S at 150mph.
    My husky is already needing steering head adjustment, will do this weekend. They do seem to help hold
    A bike straight at speed, but if all is in adjustment, I don't need one....
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

W.E.R.
    Spike knows!
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scotts stabilizer here. Base valve 7 clicks out. Have not touched high speed valve or sweep settings yet.
    Tinken likes this.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Have run WER (on my 98KTM250EXC), Scotts (on 04TC450) and GPR on 06TE450 and 08TXC450.
    My settings were always in the low range for all and with the GPR never more than 2 usually 0-1 setting. I never put one on the 11TE310 and will not put one on the 13TXC310R either. My stabilizer days are over. The new S for me is suspension and combined with mousses all hits are deadened when set up right.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Captain obvious says... Motosportz. :D

[IMG]

[IMG]
    fasteer and Rearwheelin like this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    PS sorry for the miss, our resident mentor fast older guy, who is very particular about on bike products loves the Motosportz damper that came on his Kato 250XC-F, he's the guy who removed his e starter as unnnessesary, the motosportz has remained in place at very low damp settings/minimal.
  11. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Scotts because I can switch it between any bike . Don't remember my settings , think I have messed with all of them, turned my sweep down a little and high speed . Like how you can go from quick steering to high speed stability going down sandy/rocky power line roads just by turning the base valve to the left or right. Cool trick when you pass holding on with one hand at high speeds in the dirt .
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    was one of the first happy customers to use this one one two cr250r hard enduro bikes. awesome stuff, remote on the fly 3-position rocker switch full-half-no damping of the pre-selected rate. ran 3 for tight stuff and 4-5 for open desert stuff. it was neat beign able to tailor that setting too....

Rtt-Postcard-frt-v1.jpg

second choice would be the Cpt. Obvious product (Motosportz:D ). they are truly bomb proof dampers in their own right and on the short list fer Porky.

ride the gnar? get a damper. cant count the time they saved my thumbs. i rode for years w/o one. after that? i started using up front wheels pretty fast due to the slamming into crap it was doing. whata dif dampers make. night and day. id get one before a pipe or any performance adder hands down. power is nothing w/o control. these add control and save you a ton of energy.
    Tinken and Rearwheelin like this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I had a early RTT on my 02 WR250. Was good. you can kinda see it here...

[IMG]
  14. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    He who dies with the most toys wins
    Running Captain Obvious' damper about 25% from the softest setting on rocky, root infested trails, 50% in loose flats, and 75% down the highway. I used to get the 'death wobbles' above 75 on the highway, don't at all anymore, not that I'm ripping around above 75 very often. I am most impressed with the improvement and confidence I have climbing trails with big roots and rocks. Completely agree w pvduke on controlling power and energy. Awesome design and easy install! -Thanks Kelly!
  15. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Motosportz for the win!

I have used the WER and Scotts on other bikes and the MZ is the one that has stuck around. I love the simple adjustment, it rules. I run it at about 25% for normal trails and had it up to 75% for the fast stuff last weekend.

Later,
  16. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Moto's on the '09 WR125, somewhere between a 1/3 to 1/2 way over from soft.

Clean install, and no problems.

[IMG]
  17. ncgrecon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 310
    I run a GPR on my 2009 TE310. Run it at around 2
  18. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    I run a GPR on my 2011 TE 310 it's set up pretty stiff 7 for most people too stiff but I love it! On my KTM 990 I run a Scott's but on that bike it's set up pretty light not sure the setting basically left it at what the last guy had it at. No problems with either.
  19. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    I have the GPR but to be honest I don't really use it. Its set at two.
    Reason I have it, is because of an bad 180km/h head shake I had on the my old 848 coming out of turn two at Queensland Raceway. Since then all my bikes has steering damper installed!

On my Hypermotard I have a Scott and I really like it. On the GPR you can feel the damper when you just push the bike around but the Scott you cant because of low/hi settings.
    Tinken likes this.
  20. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    Motosportz on the Husky (and the previous Husky).
    Usually set just left of center.
    Riding singletrack through the trees & occasionally barking one makes the steering dampner well worthwhile.
    Helps with rocks & roots too.
    Had a Scotts on a Honda a few years ago & liked that one too.