What did you learn on?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by TemecuCoastie, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    Trail 50, XR-75, MX-80, CR-125 (Husky), TZ-125, TZ-350, TZ-500,TZ-750, TE-250 (learning again)...

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Ever go to Trapani's bike shop in Waretown? Lived right across rt9 :). It really was awesome growing up there.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    What's that first yellow Yamaha sport bike?!?! I want one :)
  4. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's the scariest of any bike I've ever ridden, the TZ-500. You never know when the powerband is gonna kick in. When it does, it just wants to stand straight up.
    You'd have more fun with this one. You can ride it one the street and the power is controllable. Wish I'd never sold mine. If I lived in the states I'd be bidding on this one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...1832821?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43bead3b75
    LandofMotards likes this.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That rz 500 in the link looks like it has a car fender rear end on it ..

--
    I rode a couple other enduro bikes before this 1976 CR250 Husky purchase ...but I had never rode a real dirt till this bike ...Mine had the 1976.5 model pipe that came up and under the gas tank instead of that cool side pipe on previous models ...
    [IMG]

Heikki Mikkola was wining world championship along in this time. He pretty much kept DeCoster from winning a decade straight of 500cc championships ...
    [IMG]
  6. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    My first bike was a 1973 honda MR50...

[IMG]

My dad brought it home the first day I rode my brothers honda ct70 by myself. The throttle was so ghetto on these things that the whole tube would sometimes slide off in your hand mid ride. That induced a few crashes...

[IMG]

Later,
    robertaccio and Indorider like this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yep, the trail 70 was in the mix also ... That was probably ~3 yrs PH(Pre Husqvarna) for me ...
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    My mom was cool to hop on the back of my first bike to take a ride across the Brookly Bridge ;-). A Honda 350, I bought from my cousin.
    Yeah... Stripped those ape hangers and sissy bar off real quick and had fun with an impact wrench back then with those damn phillips head engine screws!

View: http://youtu.be/hozY4RaoYpU

View: http://youtu.be/ygh69OB85s8
    robertaccio likes this.
  9. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hell, I don't even get that much air on my modern Husky!!!
    robertaccio likes this.
  10. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    All that talk about New Jersey and the places we rode, brings back the best memories of those times.

In 1969 I was 9 years old and my older brother had this 90CC Yamaha that had a step through frame. I'm not sure of the year it was because my dad bought it second hand for him as his first bike. I learned how to ride that in my parents back yard. In 1972 I got my first bike. I was a Yamaha Mini Enduro. I loved that bike and wish I could get my hands on one today.:love:
    LandofMotards likes this.
  11. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Started off on a home made mini bike I bought. Wheel barrow wheel & tire on the back, Airplane wheel & tire front. Flintstone braking technology. Then a family friends CT70, then my cousins Hodaka ACE100, Bought a TS250 & TS 185, then brand new 81 IT250.
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I also had one of those mini bikes.

My first real bike was the Bombardier version of this. It wasn't that old, but didn't run. My dad got it running, and it was fast enough that I could beat my buddy on his XR75.

[IMG]

A year after that, my buddy got a CR125, and once my dad saw that, we went over to the Suzuki dealer, and bought one of these.

[IMG]

It was really fast and I crashed a lot. I still have a ton of scars from that first summer, but it was one of the best times of my life :cheers:

Thanks dad.
    Ken Hynes, Motosportz and robertaccio like this.
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    ZX6R. :D :eek:

2005. I'm not as old as some of you fogies...
  14. eel125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    When you are our age motorcycles will have jet packs on them , like the Jetons. You are probably saying who are the Jetsons lol
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

You missed the best of times. Open riding anywhere that wasn't wilderness. Forest Service maintained the trails. Riding in a burned area was the exception not the rule. We didn't have the Hollywood and New York tree huggers in Western Montana. People loved the bikes and our local MX track had a race a month with ~2500 people showing up to watch. Hamilton's population then was 2500. Cross Country races were held anywhere public and routinely had 400+ riders on the starting line. You could ride all the trails all day and never see another rider/person no matter what trail you rode. 1500+ miles of single track trail in just Ravalli County. I miss riding in the late 60's-70's.
  16. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    my neighbors Taco mini bike, I was 9 or so. Always rode the neighbors bikes till I finally got my own at 15. was a Hodaka Ace 90
  17. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    3 horse Tecumseh mini-bike. Oh, the memories...
    Indorider likes this.
  18. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    First real bike was a Suzuki TM125(distant second to the Honda Elsinore-but all I could afford!). Saved up the $ from my paper-route: even though my folks weren't crazy about it, when they saw I saved up half the money they loaned me the rest:banana:. Dirt bikes were my passion and I'd been racing them for a few years and my parents had never seen me race-one day I was racing at Saddleback, got involved in a first-turn crash with a bunch of guys but still finished the race OK. When I got back to the truck there was a note stuck on my windshield-my folks had come to watch me race, saw the crash and that I got going again but my mom couldn't stand to watch! That was the only time they ever came to a race:)
  19. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Honda SL100 followed by a Kawasaki 250 F81M. Grew up in LA area in SoCal. Before I had a drivers license, we would ride down the RR tracks along Vermont Blvd or take various side streets to get to the local riding areas. Fun times!
  20. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    Really cool to see all of this stuff. We've all kind of run the spectrum. And, yes, we have dated ourselves a bit.

I learned on a 73' XR75. Too small to touch ground so Pops would fire it up, put it in gear, hold the clutch, let me climb aboard then let me go. When I grew tired I'd aim for Pops and, as I got close I'd jump off and let him try to corral the bike (true story).
    I had several bikes since then. Moved on to a Yamaha GT80, a Yamaha YZ80, a lame Suzuki 175 that I beat this piss out of in the Ocotillo Desert and a screaming greeny KX105 - the fastest thing I had ever ridden (as a kid).
    1973 xr75.jpg
    1974_yamaha_gt_80_mx_b_500_tomball_12281115.jpg
    20090808-1748349-1975-Yamaha-YZ80.jpg
    148_DscKawasaki%20KX80%201980%20Nw00282.jpg
    Jersey Woods and Indorider like this.