What did you do to your SWM....

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by Oldscool, Aug 15, 2017.

1. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Now at 9000kms with the RS650. Has been performing effortlessly. Doing a SWM ride this weekend. Be good to meet and chat with other owners.
    I find the RS 650 is a tad better than the 630 as the ECU makes the engine run a tad better in all conditions and the slightly reduced suspension travel is a better all round -road/bush combination. Otherwise a very versatile and enjoyable unit that is streaks ahead of the DR/KLR set. It is imho a better all round proposition in terms of standard equipment/pricing than the 690/701 options. In terms of the 690/701 the bike is too tall for many riders, you sit on top of it rather than in it (good for the bush but not so on the highway), the stock range is limited and the gearing is whacky being too high in the lower gears and too low in the upper gears-go figure.
    That said, the new KTM 790 may be the next go to bike for me given I have the luxury of pure dirt bikes and road bikes to ride-the 790 may be the missing link with real power, light weight and good suspension travel.
  2. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Well, I've had a chance to ride with the new rear suspension spring (5.8 up from 5.2 original) and the lightened clutch (2 pressure plate springs removed).

Rear suspension originally had 30mm static sag with 105 rider sag, now has 40mm static sag and 100mm rider sag. The original spring also had 17mm preload the new has 10mm preload. The rear suspension is much more compliant over small to medium sized impacts, particularly braking bump type impacts. It still amazes me how much improvement is gained by simply fitting the correct spring.

Clutch performance is great. No slip in top gear at full throttle with taller than standard gearing, combined with a beautifully light 1 finger operation.
  3. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, I've had the latest SWM ecu map update installed along with SWM's map dedicated to the Arrow muffler. The ecu can support 2 maps and they can be accessed by connecting or disconnecting a loop plug behind the headlight. I fitted a switch that allows me to swap between maps while on the run. Both these maps still use the O2 sensor, however I'm told SWM also have a 3rd map available that ignores the O2 sensor.

My bike has the Arrow muffler fitted and when running the Arrow map it runs and performs beautifully. The idle is steady, throttle response is positive and strong and fuel economy appears to have improved. I also noticed I had to back the idle screw out approx 1 and a half turns from where I had it, to drop the idle speed back to 2000rpm. Fuel economy improved from 6l/100km to just under 5l/100km. I am prepared to accept that the fuel economy change may also be due to other factors, so I'll keep an eye on it but it certainly didn't use more fuel.

When I'm running the SWM standard map I get an unsteady idle, a softer throttle response and more popping on overrun. All this points to a lean condition, which is to be expected as the standard map is tuned for the stock dual muffler system. This map may be useful in slippery and tight conditions or when I'm tired, as long as it doesn't do the old cough and stall, but I'm yet to really test it.

Previously, I removed 2 clutch springs to lighten the action and although it didn't slip, I got nervous. I've since reinstalled the springs but have placed washers under the spring bolts to reduce their preload and hence the lever pressure. Not as light as springs removed but lighter than standard. This, along with the Midwest Engineering lever, gives a light clutch feel and a long engagement point.

Until next time, may the wheels stay under you and blue skies above.
    SnagaHD, rancher1 and bax3 like this.
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    97% finished, just waiting on my wheel spacers back from the anodizers and to also do an oil change, then book some more track days...

Only changes I foresee would be the Factory Titanium dual system and the factory race seat... if SWM and/or BRT would ship them outside Italy...

20190326_184407.jpg
  5. skootercee Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs 500 r
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Honda CR 250
    Do you have a Rekluse auto clutch? I have been wanting to know if the one for the husky will work.
  6. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Suter slipper clutch, the clutch cover was the only billet one I could find, it was sitting on the shelf at the aussie distributor for yeeeeeeears!
  7. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Slightly updated with final custom front axle, custom front/rear captive spacers, and now the factory racing seat... still waiting for the full titanium exhaust (Arrow 75140TKR) to be available outside Italy though (along with the ECU mapping for it!)... come on SWM!

20190403_165633 (1).jpg
  8. Vizz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Still researching
    What pads did you go with and did it eliminate all squealing?
  9. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    I know its been awhile since you posted this Oldscool but what did you use for a switch? I want to do the same and wondered if the map switch for the husky would work, looks to be the same connector.
  10. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just used a generic stop/run switch spliced into the "loop" wire of the stock connector.
    On the switch I used, stop was connected (looped) and run was open (no loop).
    I can't help you with the husky switch.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Bought a SWM 650 Superdual a while back. Loving the bike. Got about 2000 miles on it now. Super fun.
  12. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.

Don't forget about the thin clutch spring cup washers in the Husky 610/630, SWM 650 motors. My TE 630 was done at less than 10k miles. Was making big end noise and had metal in the oil. I was sourcing the parts to rebuild it, but the Camp Fire stopped that. Address that issue ASAP and it will be a great bike.
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    SWM full Arrow map with Arrow exhaust, rims from older Husky SM perfect fit, dropped forks just a touch to fix head shake. I know it doesn’t make sense but lowering the front fixes the geometry when changing to 17’s from 21/18. I have the factory software for mapping and also a Power Commander with Easy Tune, I tried the PC first but it never got where I wanted, the factory map (arrow one) runs great. This is one underrated bike. Maybe next summer I will try to use the PC to tweak SWM’s map, I also want to “open up” the factory dual’s and test, the weight should be much better one they are off road only. The mods should be a Seat Concepts #1 and Arrow with SWM map#2, suspension is good with proper setup/adjustment only unless you are racing.

Attached Files:

Mik-3 likes this.
  14. feaster593 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm 610, Te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Swm 650
    Hi Guys
    I have a doubt: has anyone ever mounted Husqvarna 630 arrow manifolds on a SWM 650 ? mine is SM 650 Euro 3
    I think it can fit without any problems, but idk about engine adjustments.
    Any idea about engine map ? i'm still looking for arrow map but dealer and also SWM fb page they don't know anything about...maybe it's too old...

Thinking about do it by my self, but i'm still looking for map file.
    afterthat I think I will have to adjust the parameters further with the arrow manifolds and silencer...any idea ?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  16. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nice pictures as always.